Coffeehouse Thread

5 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Messenger Wave 4 runaway CPU usage

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Sven Groot

Yesterday, I noticed the Live Messenger wave 4 beta was using 100% CPU out of the blue. So I closed it down, and re-opened it. However, this didn't solve the problem. Restarting the PC didn't either.

I now have the following situation:

1. Logging in to the messenger service takes several minutes during which high CPU usage is observed.

2. The expanded view shows constant 100% CPU usage; compact view does not.

I removed the Facebook connection from Windows Live, which seems to have fixed issue 2 but not issue 1. I've also removed various local Messenger data folders so it could rebuild them, but that didn't help either.

Any idea what could be going on?

• User profile image
    zian

Have you tried finding the thread in Procexp and then checking the stack to see the thread in context?

• User profile image
    exoteric

I'm awaiting the next beta - can't log into the service anymore; friend lost all her contacts. Beta can be risky, heh.

• User profile image
    Charles

Sounds odd... Have you tried uninstalling the beta and then re-installing? Perhaps the install was less than perfect? What's the name of the process that is eating all the cpu?

C

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Charles said:

Sounds odd... Have you tried uninstalling the beta and then re-installing? Perhaps the install was less than perfect? What's the name of the process that is eating all the cpu?

C

It has now mysteriously fixed itself. It did it for 2-3 days, then stopped.

For the record, the high CPU usage was shared between msnmsgr.exe and wlcomm.exe.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.