Coffeehouse Thread

6 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

When will SQL Server get CUDA-assisted perf?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

Apparently some folks managed to get a billion 32-bit keys sorted in under a second using a GTX280. I can imagine how you could get that working with SQL Server which does a lot of sorting (amongst other things, heh).

Will we see GPU-accelerated SQL Server anytime soon, or will we see the FOSS guys implement it first, then IBM/Oracle, before Microsoft finally gets round to it some 10 years later? </obligJab>

• User profile image
    rhm

Sounds like a bad idea to me.

• User profile image
    Bass

And when you aren't running the DB, you can play Crysis with 4xAA. Smiley

Oracle has been investigating hardware accelerated DBs for some time. I expect you'll see some "database appliances" from them in the near future, thanks to the Sun acquisition.

• User profile image
    rhm

Bass said:

And when you aren't running the DB, you can play Crysis with 4xAA. Smiley

Oracle has been investigating hardware accelerated DBs for some time. I expect you'll see some "database appliances" from them in the near future, thanks to the Sun acquisition.

What Oracle (and comparable databases like SQL Server and DB2) need to investigate is their whole architecture rather than special purpose bandaids like that. Has anyone here heard of VoltDB? It's a sql database with proper transactions and all that but they claim it's 50 times the speed of mainstream sql databases like Oracle. It's pretty amazing really - the NoSQL crowd have been slating the performance of sql databases but their solution is to throw the baby out with the bathwater. You can use a NoSQL database only if you don't need most of the facilities sql databases provide. VoltDB shows that you can have high performance and transactions, high reliability and a workable query language.

Generic Forum Image

• User profile image
    JoshRoss

rhm said:
    Bass said:
    *snip*

What Oracle (and comparable databases like SQL Server and DB2) need to investigate is their whole architecture rather than special purpose bandaids like that. Has anyone here heard of VoltDB? It's a sql database with proper transactions and all that but they claim it's 50 times the speed of mainstream sql databases like Oracle. It's pretty amazing really - the NoSQL crowd have been slating the performance of sql databases but their solution is to throw the baby out with the bathwater. You can use a NoSQL database only if you don't need most of the facilities sql databases provide. VoltDB shows that you can have high performance and transactions, high reliability and a workable query language.

Generic Forum Image

I hadn't seen VoltDB before, and perhaps for good reason. From the cursory first run through, I would have to completely redesign everything using a much different approach than what I currently deploy.

Hardware has never been as inexpensive as it is right now, so if I were to throw money at a problem, I would much more likely throw it at hardware, as opposed to rewriting business logic. I am almost guaranteed to hit my performance goal with a simple hardware upgrade. Many of the performance gains highlighted on the site are from poorly designed distributed systems, or that is how it looks, at first glance.

I think if Microsoft released any experimental GPU assisted software, that will get run through the BI pipeline, in the same way that the PowerPivot add-in was released. It would also most likely come from an acquisition.

Not to rathole your thread, but has Microsoft made any exciting acquisitions recently?

-Josh

• User profile image
    magicalclick

Are you suggesting to run everything in MEMORY????

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.