Coffeehouse Thread

9 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Orange take on Skype

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    giovanni

I have never seen anything like this before: a regular telecom company (Orange France in this case) offering a Skype like solution for its users: instead of a DSL plus TV plus VOIP on a phone, they have an offer with DSL, TV on your PC and VOIP on your PC only (link). I know this is not a revolution per se, but it is interesting that big phone companies are starting to think in this direction.

One thing that surprises me is that Microsoft has been toying with VOIP for some time on Messenger but it hasn't managed to get the thing to work with any of its partners (Orange as been one in France in the past and I remember Verizon has been one for the States).

• User profile image
    ManipUni

Unfortunately most telecos are old and ridged, that's why most of them failed to make the move over to mobile phones - except in the US due to seriously oligopoly abuse. I'd be surprised if most telephone companies have what it takes to see the future and act on it (which is obviously internet pipes that just happen to have voice/video/TV/IM as a feature). I congratulate Orange France for being so forward thinking.

Depressingly we're being held back right now. I'd love to see the EU pass a law that required companies to sell wholesale bandwidth on their hardware into the market for the same price that they sell it their consumer division for - thus allowing new small companies to compete fairly.

It isn't in anyone's best interest to have the wired and wireless bandwidth held captive by companies who want to keep it as expensive as possible.

• User profile image
    Ray7

ManipUni said:

Unfortunately most telecos are old and ridged, that's why most of them failed to make the move over to mobile phones - except in the US due to seriously oligopoly abuse. I'd be surprised if most telephone companies have what it takes to see the future and act on it (which is obviously internet pipes that just happen to have voice/video/TV/IM as a feature). I congratulate Orange France for being so forward thinking.

Depressingly we're being held back right now. I'd love to see the EU pass a law that required companies to sell wholesale bandwidth on their hardware into the market for the same price that they sell it their consumer division for - thus allowing new small companies to compete fairly.

It isn't in anyone's best interest to have the wired and wireless bandwidth held captive by companies who want to keep it as expensive as possible.

Agree, totally

• User profile image
    blowdart

ManipUni said:

So why would companies invest in infrastructure then if they're not allowed to take advantage of it?

• User profile image
    elmer

Meanwhile... rumour is that Cisco is looking to buy Skype.

• User profile image
    ManipUni

blowdart said:
    ManipUni said:
    *snip*

So why would companies invest in infrastructure then if they're not allowed to take advantage of it?

To sell on the wholesale market and make money?

I never said they wouldn't make money, I said they had to sell it to themselves and the competition at the same rates. It would spawn an entirely new industry of companies who exist only to maintain our infrastructure and to re-sell space on it.

• User profile image
    blowdart

ManipUni said:
    blowdart said:
    *snip*

To sell on the wholesale market and make money?

I never said they wouldn't make money, I said they had to sell it to themselves and the competition at the same rates. It would spawn an entirely new industry of companies who exist only to maintain our infrastructure and to re-sell space on it.

Move to Canada, that's just been passed

• User profile image
    ManipUni

blowdart said:
    ManipUni said:
    *snip*

Move to Canada, that's just been passed

That is similar but not on the same scope as I am suggesting. I am almost talking about a stock market in network space where people buy and sell. Companies would bid on a chunk of the network and then resell it to customers - each with its own niche.

• User profile image
    giovanni

elmer said:

Meanwhile... rumour is that Cisco is looking to buy Skype.

I would be curious to see what happens with that!

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.