Coffeehouse Thread

20 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Apple's definition of Streaming

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    CKurt

For the first time ever Apple will stream a keynote live over the internet! http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.net/1009qpeijrfn/event

Well over there part of the internet. You need to be on Mac OS X Snow Leopard and on Safari 4 or 5. What gives? This is a new low of trying to keep poeple in the ecosystem.

Are they afraid there experience might not be good enough if everyone tunes in? Microsoft is streaming all the PCD10 keynotes and sessions over the internet. Apple is streaming to one piece of the internet for about 1hour.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Hold on; how is this different to Microsoft requiring Silverlight for streaming when the platform is not fully supported under Moonlight on *nix nor OS X?

Yes, Apple is being particularly brash about this, but it isn't like Microsoft haven't excluded other platforms when it suits them.

Besides, you'll be able to watch the post-videos tomorrow, or follow Engadget's liveblog.

• User profile image
    CKurt

W3bbo said:

Hold on; how is this different to Microsoft requiring Silverlight for streaming when the platform is not fully supported under Moonlight on *nix nor OS X?

Yes, Apple is being particularly brash about this, but it isn't like Microsoft haven't excluded other platforms when it suits them.

Besides, you'll be able to watch the post-videos tomorrow, or follow Engadget's liveblog.

A Liveblog is not the same as a stream.

Well it's different because QuickTime does run on windows, but they just choose to block Windows's pc's and only alow Mac OSX Snow Leopard. The only reason I can think of is because they don't want to many people watching it.

Silverlight runs on Windows, Mac's and Linux (although it's an older version). It's not like microsoft is dilibratly blocking those other viewers/browsers. Apple is...

• User profile image
    Charles

Well, Jobs declared plug-ins as an  evil force in the universe and he actively evangelizes interoperable standards as the way of the future.... This is a clear contradiction. Why wasn't this streamed to a standards-compliant HTML5 video tag, dude? Oh yeah, there is no streaming standard yet....

I agree with CKurt. Lame.

Comparing this to Microsoft's plug-in requirement for streaming media from Microsoft events (Silverlight player hosted in a web browser) is stretching it a bit, W3bbo.... But, it's fair nonetheless, in context.

C

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

CKurt said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

A Liveblog is not the same as a stream.

Well it's different because QuickTime does run on windows, but they just choose to block Windows's pc's and only alow Mac OSX Snow Leopard. The only reason I can think of is because they don't want to many people watching it.

Silverlight runs on Windows, Mac's and Linux (although it's an older version). It's not like microsoft is dilibratly blocking those other viewers/browsers. Apple is...

There is a workaround that allows you to play the stream in VLC. It's not like they actively block people on other platforms from playing, it's just that no other software currently implements HTTP Live Streaming.

• User profile image
    CKurt

TommyCarlier said:
    CKurt said:
    *snip*

There is a workaround that allows you to play the stream in VLC. It's not like they actively block people on other platforms from playing, it's just that no other software currently implements HTTP Live Streaming.

I don't want to reload the stream to get to the next piece. Nor do I want to search for the stream URL. Wink

Well they do love standards charles, just look at this page of HTML5 demo's in the IE9 tech preview: http://www.apple.com/html5/ Wink

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

CKurt said:
    TommyCarlier said:
    *snip*

I don't want to reload the stream to get to the next piece. Nor do I want to search for the stream URL. Wink

Well they do love standards charles, just look at this page of HTML5 demo's in the IE9 tech preview: http://www.apple.com/html5/ Wink

http://www.livestream.com/gizmodo

• User profile image
    CKurt

TommyCarlier said:

Thx ! Funny gizmodo can, apple can't Tongue Out

Nevermind: Gizmodo can't, its stuttering all the way. At one point there were 20 000 viewers...

• User profile image
    W3bbo

CKurt said:
    TommyCarlier said:
    *snip*

Thx ! Funny gizmodo can, apple can't Tongue Out

Nevermind: Gizmodo can't, its stuttering all the way. At one point there were 20 000 viewers...

Fap Fap Fap:

Generic Forum Image

• User profile image
    CKurt

W3bbo said:
    CKurt said:
    *snip*

Fap Fap Fap:

Generic Forum Image

Yes indeed , and $49 for an iPod Shuffle is really tempting but i don't want to be locked into there ecosystem.

The new Nano as you showed is indeed something special.

• User profile image
    exoteric

You know what? This can be summed up in two words:

Their loss.

Or as our favourite Italian would put it:

Fail.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

CKurt said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

Yes indeed , and $49 for an iPod Shuffle is really tempting but i don't want to be locked into there ecosystem.

The new Nano as you showed is indeed something special.

Yes, but how is that different to getting a WP7 device and being "locked into" the WP7 ecosystem? Which, I might add, is considerably more restricted than the iProduct system since there are hardly any third-party accessory manufacturers or music stores. There is no other rival to the iTMS that provides the same level of comprehensiveness.

• User profile image
    Bass

Call me when Channel 9 works properly on Linux.

• User profile image
    Charles

Bass said:

Call me when Channel 9 works properly on Linux.

Besides playing videos inline, what are the problems on Linux, exactly (and you can download all or most of our videos in a format that should readily play on Linux in a suitable media app: mp4....).

C

• User profile image
    Bass

Charles said:
    Bass said:
    *snip*

Besides playing videos inline, what are the problems on Linux, exactly (and you can download all or most of our videos in a format that should readily play on Linux in a suitable media app: mp4....).

C

"Besides playing video inline?" It doesn't even bother to detect the presence of Moonlight. If you switch your user agent to IE8 it plays videos fine.

• User profile image
    Charles

Bass said:
    Charles said:
    *snip*

"Besides playing video inline?" It doesn't even bother to detect the presence of Moonlight. If you switch your user agent to IE8 it plays videos fine.

File a bug on the Connect site please. Smiley

https://connect.microsoft.com/site1133

C

• User profile image
    CKurt

Bass said:
    Charles said:
    *snip*

I tought they no longer detected User Agent Strings in the preview. Could be wrong...

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

W3bbo said:
    CKurt said:
    *snip*

Fap Fap Fap:

Generic Forum Image

Is anyone thinking the thing is too small to have an display? I would preferred an larger device or one without an display and hardware buttons.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.