Coffeehouse Thread

38 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

The new Apple TV

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    CKurt

http://www.apple.com/appletv/ 

A summary:

• 99 dollars for the hardware
    • HD playback (720p probably) - Ethernet Plug - 802.11n - Optical audio out
    • Rent TV shows 99 cents in HD (only Fox and ABC right now)
    • Netflix integration
    • YouTube integration
    • 'AirTunes' is the PlayTo from the iPad to the AppleTV (not the other way arround)

What do you think? Seems like a decent product,  with very good content. I don't know if it can top the the US Zune Video Marketplace. But it does seem very good it's working with DOLLARS instead of MICROSOFT POINTS.

Microsoft needs to up there game:

• More content in European Countries (launch worldwide with PH7 please!)
    • Say the price on the Xbox Zune Marketplace (not the number of microsoft points)
    • Integrate YouTube
    • Movie Rentals in the Zune Desktop Client ?
    • PROMOTE IT (commercials , billboards, get ZUNE out there)

What did I miss ?

• User profile image
    Bas

Very good. Windows Media Center is screwed. The hardware is too expensive, and there's no rentable content or movie subscription service. Also no Youtube integration, if you don't want to mess around with dodgy 3rd party addins.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Bas said:

Very good. Windows Media Center is screwed. The hardware is too expensive, and there's no rentable content or movie subscription service. Also no Youtube integration, if you don't want to mess around with dodgy 3rd party addins.

Apple TV's rental-only system just reeks of failure to me. I don't see what value AppleTV provides that Hulu or iPlayer doesn't already. The "push between devices" thing from the iPad to AppleTV is more of a gimmick. I think TV-integrated functionality is the future (see Google TV) rather than having to get another STB. I really can see Apple making their own TVs a few years from now (and I'll bet that will be another case of "our back looks better than their fronts" fun-poking), especially with glass-fronts, which is something I miss from TVs.

As for the iPods, colour me impressed, though I don't know if the 'nano touch' will be as easy to use as a clickwheel; I think the surface is just too small; of course the iPod Nani has always been where Apple experiments, so I expect the form-factor to change again next year.

I'm disappointed there wasn't any developments over the iPod Classic. There will always be a demand for an MP3 player with a large capacity, but as the iPod Touch isn't available with more than 64GB I reckon we won't see the Classic discontinued until the Touch gets 128GB storage, and going by current flash memory capacities that might not be for another 2 years.

• User profile image
    spivonious

Meh, I don't see the appeal. Sure it's small and cheap, but it's very limited. No blu-ray support, locked into iTunes, no HD audio bitstreaming, no extensibility. Paying $1 to watch an episode once doesn't seem very appealing to me.

With today's blu-ray players and TVs coming with Netflix/Youtube/Hulu built-in, the average consumer is not going to benefit from this. The "ethusiast" market for this device already have an HTPC, which offers much greater functionality.

My $500 HTPC plays DVDs, blu-rays, Netflix, Youtube, Hulu, music, photos, live TV, recorded TV, gives me the weather forecast, and this is with no more setup than required of a normal PC.

I don't think the new AppleTV will do any better than the old AppleTV did.

• User profile image
    Bas

W3bbo said:
    Bas said:
    *snip*

Apple TV's rental-only system just reeks of failure to me. I don't see what value AppleTV provides that Hulu or iPlayer doesn't already. The "push between devices" thing from the iPad to AppleTV is more of a gimmick. I think TV-integrated functionality is the future (see Google TV) rather than having to get another STB. I really can see Apple making their own TVs a few years from now (and I'll bet that will be another case of "our back looks better than their fronts" fun-poking), especially with glass-fronts, which is something I miss from TVs.

As for the iPods, colour me impressed, though I don't know if the 'nano touch' will be as easy to use as a clickwheel; I think the surface is just too small; of course the iPod Nani has always been where Apple experiments, so I expect the form-factor to change again next year.

I'm disappointed there wasn't any developments over the iPod Classic. There will always be a demand for an MP3 player with a large capacity, but as the iPod Touch isn't available with more than 64GB I reckon we won't see the Classic discontinued until the Touch gets 128GB storage, and going by current flash memory capacities that might not be for another 2 years.

I don't see what value AppleTV provides that Hulu or iPlayer doesn't already.

International availability?

• User profile image
    CKurt

W3bbo said:
    Bas said:
    *snip*

Well I can see why rentals. Rentals are better for the movie industry. That way people wills till buy the DVD box of a good series. But rentals should be longer. Rent something for a week or so. So if you watch an episode of something, you can tell your parents "You should really look at this it's really good." The way people used to do it with hardware rentals (what a word).

GoogleTV , I don't know. We need integration and able to select a movie in the following order.

1. I want to watch Avatar tonight
    2. It's available from NetFlix, Amazon, Zune and Sony Bravia (each with there prices and resolution)
    3. Select my provider for this movie
    4. Watch it

Can't be that hard, can it? But no, everybody wants their device in the living room. And their software running on it. And their logo in the top right corner of the screen while selecting the movie. It's not wat consumers want.

• User profile image
    Bas

spivonious said:

Meh, I don't see the appeal. Sure it's small and cheap, but it's very limited. No blu-ray support, locked into iTunes, no HD audio bitstreaming, no extensibility. Paying $1 to watch an episode once doesn't seem very appealing to me.

With today's blu-ray players and TVs coming with Netflix/Youtube/Hulu built-in, the average consumer is not going to benefit from this. The "ethusiast" market for this device already have an HTPC, which offers much greater functionality.

My $500 HTPC plays DVDs, blu-rays, Netflix, Youtube, Hulu, music, photos, live TV, recorded TV, gives me the weather forecast, and this is with no more setup than required of a normal PC.

I don't think the new AppleTV will do any better than the old AppleTV did.

My $500 HTPC does that too, except for the Netflix, Youtube, Hulu and weather forecast thing. The Youtube thing I could get if I downloaded a crappy plugin written by a 14 year old color-blind Slovakian kid and tinkered enough with it. Or I could just buy that Apple TV device at one fifth of the cost and get it out of the box. Including something that'll allow me to rent/buy videos and TV series, which my HTPC still can't provide.

• User profile image
    CKurt

Bas said:
    spivonious said:
    *snip*

My $500 HTPC does that too, except for the Netflix, Youtube, Hulu and weather forecast thing. The Youtube thing I could get if I downloaded a crappy plugin written by a 14 year old color-blind Slovakian kid and tinkered enough with it. Or I could just buy that Apple TV device at one fifth of the cost and get it out of the box. Including something that'll allow me to rent/buy videos and TV series, which my HTPC still can't provide.

How did you het your HTPC to do all that with 'no more setup than a normal PC' ?

What program are you using?

• User profile image
    Bas

CKurt said:
    Bas said:
    *snip*

How did you het your HTPC to do all that with 'no more setup than a normal PC' ?

What program are you using?

What, play DVDs, blu-rays, music, photos, live T and recorded TV? Windows Media Center does that out of the box.

• User profile image
    spivonious

Bas said:
    CKurt said:
    *snip*

What, play DVDs, blu-rays, music, photos, live T and recorded TV? Windows Media Center does that out of the box.

DVDs, music, photos, live tv, recorded TV, and Netflix are bundled with Media Center.

Blu-rays are an install of PowerDVD 9 or 10 Ultra away. This installs blu-ray playback into Media Center.

Weather forecast

The Youtube plugin I got wasn't very good, but I don't use it much, so it doesn't bother me. Same with Hulu.

Renting/buying movies and TV shows isn't something I'm looking for. If Netflix doesn't have it yet, then I can wait.

• User profile image
    Bas

spivonious said:
    Bas said:
    *snip*

DVDs, music, photos, live tv, recorded TV, and Netflix are bundled with Media Center.

Blu-rays are an install of PowerDVD 9 or 10 Ultra away. This installs blu-ray playback into Media Center.

Weather forecast

The Youtube plugin I got wasn't very good, but I don't use it much, so it doesn't bother me. Same with Hulu.

Renting/buying movies and TV shows isn't something I'm looking for. If Netflix doesn't have it yet, then I can wait.

Netflix isn't available here. Neither is Hulu. Nor any sort of alternative.

• User profile image
    DCMonkey

This thing sounds alot like the Roku  

• User profile image
    CKurt

Bas said:
    spivonious said:
    *snip*

Netflix isn't available here. Neither is Hulu. Nor any sort of alternative.

and the youtube thing we DO get sucks... Haven't really seen ant good YouTube Media Center plugins.

Somebody needs to talk to the US broadcasters and Hollywood movie studies about bringing content to European side of the water.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

CKurt said:
    Bas said:
    *snip*

and the youtube thing we DO get sucks... Haven't really seen ant good YouTube Media Center plugins.

Somebody needs to talk to the US broadcasters and Hollywood movie studies about bringing content to European side of the water.

Ha! Never, not whilst DVD box-set prices are jacked up so much it doesn't make economic sense to provide an affordable option available to, what is essentially, a minority market.

As much as I loathe to advocate the breaking of copyright law, this is a perfect excuse to get everything you need from TV over BitTorrent.

• User profile image
    elmer

CKurt said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

Well I can see why rentals. Rentals are better for the movie industry. That way people wills till buy the DVD box of a good series. But rentals should be longer. Rent something for a week or so. So if you watch an episode of something, you can tell your parents "You should really look at this it's really good." The way people used to do it with hardware rentals (what a word).

GoogleTV , I don't know. We need integration and able to select a movie in the following order.

1. I want to watch Avatar tonight
    2. It's available from NetFlix, Amazon, Zune and Sony Bravia (each with there prices and resolution)
    3. Select my provider for this movie
    4. Watch it

Can't be that hard, can it? But no, everybody wants their device in the living room. And their software running on it. And their logo in the top right corner of the screen while selecting the movie. It's not wat consumers want.

http://www.wisc-online.com/objects/ViewObject.aspx?ID=ESL1402

• User profile image
    W3bbo

elmer said:

The "they're/there/their" thing used to annoy me, but I learned to live with it after I found out the people making that mistake the most often were actually dyslexic, in which case it's hard to correct.

• User profile image
    Bas

W3bbo said:
    CKurt said:
    *snip*

Ha! Never, not whilst DVD box-set prices are jacked up so much it doesn't make economic sense to provide an affordable option available to, what is essentially, a minority market.

As much as I loathe to advocate the breaking of copyright law, this is a perfect excuse to get everything you need from TV over BitTorrent.

No it isn't. You're not in any way entitled to that content. It sucks that you can't get it cheaply, but that's not a 'perfect excuse' to take it anyway.

• User profile image
    jamie

Bas said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

No it isn't. You're not in any way entitled to that content. It sucks that you can't get it cheaply, but that's not a 'perfect excuse' to take it anyway.

NEVER

although iPad?  4 coming this xmas (gifts)

*sorry Bas - i meant reply root

( it's like GPS/onstar = PAY forever for data..bzzzt  wrong)

edit: i hate apple and itunes - but my mom wil LOVE ipad ..etc

(she loves the ms touch HP thing../. but thats 3k

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.