Coffeehouse Thread

13 posts

Windows Phone 7 – Released To Manufacturing

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    kitron

http://windowsteamblog.com/Windows_Phone/b/windowsphone/

it seems that they also added an option to filter your facebook friends so that they won't all show up in your contacts list.

• User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

Generic Forum Image

• User profile image
    Dovella

A new era is beginning (WP7) , another era is end (Iphone)

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

Dovella said:

A new era is beginning (WP7) , another era is end (Iphone)

We can all hope, personally I think Microsoft has a winner.  TRhey should create a firmware to up[grade the existing devices that can handle Windows Phone 7

• User profile image
    Bas

rjdohnert said:
    Dovella said:
    *snip*

We can all hope, personally I think Microsoft has a winner.  TRhey should create a firmware to up[grade the existing devices that can handle Windows Phone 7

Will it do well? Maybe the second or third generation. Will it end the iPhone? Hahahahaha.

• User profile image
    dentaku

It's good to know they're listening. I can see how people with WAY too many Facebook friends will find that feature useful.

• User profile image
    PeterF

rjdohnert said:
    Dovella said:
    *snip*

I suppose that will not be possible, most likely a marketplace requirement that each phone has to be uniquely identifiable in order to boot WP7 correctly. Probably this will also make an end to custom rom development?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

rjdohnert said:
    Dovella said:
    *snip*

WP7 requires the latest Snapdragon processors, it uses new ARM features not present in older devices. Plus, lots of older devices don't meet the hardware mandate requirements (such as GPS and Compass)  so there's no real point.

• User profile image
    intelman

I think it should do well. I personally cannot adopt it until it has multi tasking support. I much prefer IM to texting. Android does this well. Plus the Galaxy S has a great DAC chip, very hackable too. 100db signal to noise ratio ... mm mmm.

• User profile image
    dahat

W3bbo said:
    rjdohnert said:
    *snip*

WP7 requires the latest Snapdragon processors, it uses new ARM features not present in older devices. Plus, lots of older devices don't meet the hardware mandate requirements (such as GPS and Compass)  so there's no real point.

WP7 requires the latest Snapdragon processors

[citation needed]

• User profile image
    W3bbo

dahat said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*
    WP7 requires the latest Snapdragon processors

[citation needed]

There are threads on the XDA Developers Forums created by owners of WM6.x devices asking why they can't get WP7 working on their phone.

Here is one such thread, where the lack of a Snapdragon processor is cited as the main reason why it won't work on older devices.

• User profile image
    dahat

W3bbo said:
    dahat said:
    *snip*

There are threads on the XDA Developers Forums created by owners of WM6.x devices asking why they can't get WP7 working on their phone.

Here is one such thread, where the lack of a Snapdragon processor is cited as the main reason why it won't work on older devices.

So XDA is your source? <shaking head> I hope you source your academic work better than that.

While I have zero inside info as to such requirements... until you hear it from Microsoft explicitly, I'd be skeptical as to requiring a specific core that only comes from one company (Qualcomm)... while preventing Samsung (or others) from being able to use their similar Hummingbird platform... not to mention variations of Tegra, i.MX or other Cortex based cores.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

dahat said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

So XDA is your source? <shaking head> I hope you source your academic work better than that.

While I have zero inside info as to such requirements... until you hear it from Microsoft explicitly, I'd be skeptical as to requiring a specific core that only comes from one company (Qualcomm)... while preventing Samsung (or others) from being able to use their similar Hummingbird platform... not to mention variations of Tegra, i.MX or other Cortex based cores.

Okay, when I say "latest Snapdragon processors" I'm refering to the latest generation of ARM processors, ARM7 specifically; because it's the ISA that counts. It's like saying "latest Intel processors" when really referring to the latest IA32/x64 chips, so anything from AMD would do just as fine.

Is it true software boxes still say "IBM PC or 100% compatible" in the System Requirements box?

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.