Coffeehouse Thread

12 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Ping vs. The Social

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    DCMonkey

    The first thing I thought of when I heard about Apple's new social networking adjunct to the iTunes Store, was the Zune Social. I wonder how it compares. Back when my Zune still worked I never did much more than poke through a few people's playlists (what few there were with similar interests). Have any current or former Zuners here ever used it?  Does it work off your entire library or just store bought music like Ping? I know it works to some extent outside of the Zune software unlike Ping. How is it in regards to other integration with the outside world?

     

    As for Ping, being a current iPhone/iTunes user, I don't see any use for it. Its inability to work from my entire library, a majority of which was acquired outside the iTunes Store,  to determine my interests makes that aspect useless. And the store already had the ability to post reviews/comments to albums. The Genius Bar does a passable attempt at finding similar interests. Unlike that feature, I'll likely be leaving Ping at its default setting (off), and I suspect many others will as well.

     

  • User profile image
    PaoloM

    I am really enjoying the amount of crap that Apple is shipping lately Smiley

  • User profile image
    ManipUni

    Ping looks like junk. Even with Apple's shady tricks to try and get me to enable it I won't. I'd say it is already a failure.

     

    Seems like everyone is doing "social" lately. Blizzard released SC2 with so many social features it almost ruined the game, and they almost had a very real revolt on the World of Warcraft forums when they attempted to use people's real names.

     

    That being said iTunes 10 seems like an improvement over iTunes 9. It is now far less laggy and annoying.

  • User profile image
    JoshRoss

    The first thing that came to mind, after hearing about this disaster in the making, is that Facebook is probably blocked from Apple's internal network. It is a complete waste of time and money for them, and time for everyone else, to try to complete with Facebook on the social front. Natural monopolies form in the tech space, and when they dissolve it has more to do with the monopolists than the competition.

     

    I understand the need for commercial software companies to innovate; it is just a shame to watch them innovate themselves away from whatever vision that guided them to their former market position and towards irrelevance. 

     

    Thinking some more about this, it would be better for Apple to dump a whole lot of money into the Music Genome Project in exchange for a tighter iTunes tie-in, than mess around with this worthless social crap. Anyone else notice who wasn't listed, as a service provider for Apple TV?

     

    -Josh

  • User profile image
    exoteric

    JoshRoss said:

    The first thing that came to mind, after hearing about this disaster in the making, is that Facebook is probably blocked from Apple's internal network. It is a complete waste of time and money for them, and time for everyone else, to try to complete with Facebook on the social front. Natural monopolies form in the tech space, and when they dissolve it has more to do with the monopolists than the competition.

     

    I understand the need for commercial software companies to innovate; it is just a shame to watch them innovate themselves away from whatever vision that guided them to their former market position and towards irrelevance. 

     

    Thinking some more about this, it would be better for Apple to dump a whole lot of money into the Music Genome Project in exchange for a tighter iTunes tie-in, than mess around with this worthless social crap. Anyone else notice who wasn't listed, as a service provider for Apple TV?

     

    -Josh

    Music Genome Project. A name that comes with some expectations. Unfortunately it doesn't look like this closed Pandora project lives up to that. 

  • User profile image
    Bas

    ManipUni said:

    Ping looks like junk. Even with Apple's shady tricks to try and get me to enable it I won't. I'd say it is already a failure.

     

    Seems like everyone is doing "social" lately. Blizzard released SC2 with so many social features it almost ruined the game, and they almost had a very real revolt on the World of Warcraft forums when they attempted to use people's real names.

     

    That being said iTunes 10 seems like an improvement over iTunes 9. It is now far less laggy and annoying.

    Already a failure, but with a million subscribers in two days? I don't know. It looks like junk, but it's from Apple, so who knows.

  • User profile image
    ManipUni

    Bas said:
    ManipUni said:
    *snip*

    Already a failure, but with a million subscribers in two days? I don't know. It looks like junk, but it's from Apple, so who knows.

    Are they members if they are tricked in to joining it?

  • User profile image
    Bas

    ManipUni said:
    Bas said:
    *snip*

    Are they members if they are tricked in to joining it?

    Are they tricked? I have no idea how you get signed up for that.

  • User profile image
    PaoloM

    Bas said:
    ManipUni said:
    *snip*

    Are they tricked? I have no idea how you get signed up for that.

    Download iTunes 10. Log in.

  • User profile image
    TommyCarlier
  • User profile image
    ManipUni

    Bas said:
    ManipUni said:
    *snip*

    Are they tricked? I have no idea how you get signed up for that.

    It tried to get me to activate me once and then when that failed asked me for personal information, if you hit confirm it got activated.

  • User profile image
    Dovella

    ManipUni said:
    Bas said:
    *snip*

    It tried to get me to activate me once and then when that failed asked me for personal information, if you hit confirm it got activated.

    http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2006/nov06/11-13Zune.mspx

    2006  Nov.

     

    Apple invent............

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.