Coffeehouse Thread

55 posts

Wow, guys, wow.

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • Bas

So... any second thoughts about that anonymous commenting feature in Rev9?  Tongue Out

• TommyCarlier

Of course, all the mods are still asleep right now.

• cheong

I suggest personal username filtering features like those you see in MMORPGs. That when you put a user's name on blacklist, you won't see the user/receive user's mail/messages. This should cover up the time when spam is posted and MODs are sleeping, and you don't want to see spam littering around. To conserve system's resources, remove the username from all user's list when MODs banned that user's account.

Second suggestion will be about posting threshold for new users. Like for the first day, only 2 new threads + 5 reply per day is permitted. On the third day onward, increase to 3 new thread and 20 reply. Make it 5 new threads and remove reply limit after a month.

This ought to be enough for most users that don't spam.

Recent Achievement unlocked: Code Avenger Tier 4/6: You see dead program. A lot!
    Last modified
  • Dr Herbie

cheong said:

I suggest personal username filtering features like those you see in MMORPGs. That when you put a user's name on blacklist, you won't see the user/receive user's mail/messages. This should cover up the time when spam is posted and MODs are sleeping, and you don't want to see spam littering around. To conserve system's resources, remove the username from all user's list when MODs banned that user's account.

Second suggestion will be about posting threshold for new users. Like for the first day, only 2 new threads + 5 reply per day is permitted. On the third day onward, increase to 3 new thread and 20 reply. Make it 5 new threads and remove reply limit after a month.

This ought to be enough for most users that don't spam.

Or they could just give mod-rights to a couple of folk in Europe and other time-zones.

Herbie

• ManipUni

Dr Herbie said:
    cheong said:
    *snip*

Or they could just give mod-rights to a couple of folk in Europe and other time-zones.

Herbie

Don't be insane, people outside the US aren't "real" people.

• Dr Herbie

ManipUni said:
    Dr Herbie said:
    *snip*

Don't be insane, people outside the US aren't "real" people.

Oh yeah, I forgot -- the 'World Wide Web' is like the 'World Series' :  for the USA only.

Herbie

• blowdart

TommyCarlier said:

Of course, all the mods are still asleep right now.

It was also a holiday weekend - so I caught it when I got in late last night.

• exoteric

Actually, not. That is, if the new spam filter on Rev9 proves effective. There isn't one active on V4, is there?

• Bas

exoteric said:

Actually, not. That is, if the new spam filter on Rev9 proves effective. There isn't one active on V4, is there?

Is there a spam filter on Rev9?

• exoteric

Bas said:
    exoteric said:
    *snip*

Is there a spam filter on Rev9?

Yes. Sampy says so.

• Charles

exoteric said:
    Bas said:
    *snip*

Yes. Sampy says so.

Yes. And it appears to be working. Note that Rev9 isn't getting thousands of comments from spammer morons since the latest bits shipped.

Not sure why this thread was created... Did I miss something?
    C

• Sven Groot

Charles said:
    exoteric said:
    *snip*

Yes. And it appears to be working. Note that Rev9 isn't getting thousands of comments from spammer morons since the latest bits shipped.

C

The Coffeehouse was completely overrun by spam yesterday.

• cheong

Charles said:
    exoteric said:
    *snip*

C

Yesterday morning (about 9 am at GMT+8 zone), there's 10+ spam threads appeared here, which apparently has been cleared by MODs now.

Recent Achievement unlocked: Code Avenger Tier 4/6: You see dead program. A lot!
    Last modified
  • Charles

Sven Groot said:
    Charles said:
    *snip*

The Coffeehouse was completely overrun by spam yesterday.

I see. I killed spams in video threads all weekend long (I did take some time off away from 9 over the US holiday...). Thanks to blowdart for cleaning up the Coffeehouse.

We need to figure out a global mod plan! Smiley Trusted, long time Niners around the world. Who's in?

C

• Sven Groot

Charles said:
    Sven Groot said:
    *snip*

I see. I killed spams in video threads all weekend long (I did take some time off away from 9 over the US holiday...). Thanks to blowdart for cleaning up the Coffeehouse.

We need to figure out a global mod plan! Smiley Trusted, long time Niners around the world. Who's in?

C

I seem to recall you saying you wanted to make me a mod when I visited Seattle last year. Smiley

• Dr Herbie

Charles said:
    Sven Groot said:
    *snip*

C

I'm happy to check for spammers first thing in the mornings (around 5 to 6 am UK time), if that's a gap in the current moderators waking hours.

Herbie

• Charles

Sven Groot said:
    Charles said:
    *snip*

I seem to recall you saying you wanted to make me a mod when I visited Seattle last year. Smiley

Thank you, guys. We have been working on a scalable system for moderation. Unfortunately, the current C9 does not have a moderation role (I'd have to grant you admin level permissions which is not a good idea....). Rev9, on the other hand, will. Sven and Herbie added to the list. This is a geography game, Niners. So, Japan and UK. That's a good spread.

C

PS: Rev9 does have some interesting automatic anti-spam tactics in place that should prove helpful here. Still, there's nothing as powerful as a human Smiley

• Bas

Charles said:
    Sven Groot said:
    *snip*

Thank you, guys. We have been working on a scalable system for moderation. Unfortunately, the current C9 does not have a moderation role (I'd have to grant you admin level permissions which is not a good idea....). Rev9, on the other hand, will. Sven and Herbie added to the list. This is a geography game, Niners. So, Japan and UK. That's a good spread.

C

PS: Rev9 does have some interesting automatic anti-spam tactics in place that should prove helpful here. Still, there's nothing as powerful as a human Smiley

If necessary, I'd be ready to help in the UK/Western Europe area as backup in case Herbie gets the sniffles.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.