Coffeehouse Thread

10 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Visual Studio 2003 on Windows Server 2008 R2?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jmzl666

Is it possible?

I'm configuring a build server with TFS 2010 and we have some old apps in .Net 1.1 (and tons in VB6 but installing that in R2 its crazy talk) and we want to build all .Net stuff in one server and all VB6 in an XP machine.

TFS and the build machine are virtual servers running on VMware and I cant get another server so I think that rule out Lab Management.

Thanks

• User profile image
    kettch

It might be possible. However, .Net 1.1 is not officially supported on R2 or 7. I don't know exactly what problems you may run into, so you'll have to do some research. I just remember seeing that posted somewhere and thought I'd FYI.

• User profile image
    jmzl666

kettch said:

It might be possible. However, .Net 1.1 is not officially supported on R2 or 7. I don't know exactly what problems you may run into, so you'll have to do some research. I just remember seeing that posted somewhere and thought I'd FYI.

mmm, I guess I'm better of installing vs 2003 on the XP machine.

Thanks

• User profile image
    W3bbo

kettch said:

"However, .Net 1.1 is not officially supported on R2 or 7"

Eh what?

The .NET Framework 1.1 for all platforms is covered by Extended Support into 2013, and support for the .NET Framework 1.1 on WS2003 runs until 2015, which means at least the runtime will work on OSes up to that date, and unless there's some breaking changes to Win32 (unlikely) will continue to work in the future.

Apparently Windows 7 is the last OS that the VB6 runtime is supported on.

• User profile image
    jmzl666

W3bbo said:
    kettch said:
    *snip*

"However, .Net 1.1 is not officially supported on R2 or 7"

Eh what?

The .NET Framework 1.1 for all platforms is covered by Extended Support into 2013, and support for the .NET Framework 1.1 on WS2003 runs until 2015, which means at least the runtime will work on OSes up to that date, and unless there's some breaking changes to Win32 (unlikely) will continue to work in the future.

Apparently Windows 7 is the last OS that the VB6 runtime is supported on.

I think he meant VS 2003, applications on .Net 1.1 run perfectly fine on Windows 7 and Server2008.

• User profile image
    kettch

jmzl666 said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

I think he meant VS 2003, applications on .Net 1.1 run perfectly fine on Windows 7 and Server2008.

I've never had a problem with 1.1 based applications running on Server 2008 R2 or Windows 7. However, I have one application that explicitely checks for 1.1, and isn't happy until I install the redistributible package. Server 2008 R2 throws compatibility warnings for 1.1. I thought I saw a post somewhere on MSDN that said 1.1 wasn't supported on R2 or 7, but now I can't find it.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

kettch said:
    jmzl666 said:
    *snip*

I've never had a problem with 1.1 based applications running on Server 2008 R2 or Windows 7. However, I have one application that explicitely checks for 1.1, and isn't happy until I install the redistributible package. Server 2008 R2 throws compatibility warnings for 1.1. I thought I saw a post somewhere on MSDN that said 1.1 wasn't supported on R2 or 7, but now I can't find it.

Windows 7 and 2008R2 don't come with .NET1.1, but then neither did Vista and 2008.

You should contact the developers of that 1.1 app and see if they'll release a version that doesn't have any dependencies like that (it's not doing any reflection or serialisation-to-disk, is it?)

Failing that, boot up ol' Reflector and disassemble it, make the change, then rebuild, developer be damned.

• User profile image
    kettch

kettch said:
    jmzl666 said:
    *snip*

I thought I had seen an english version of this chart, but I can't find it. There is a more recent post that is interesting.

• User profile image
    kettch

W3bbo said:
    kettch said:
    *snip*

Windows 7 and 2008R2 don't come with .NET1.1, but then neither did Vista and 2008.

You should contact the developers of that 1.1 app and see if they'll release a version that doesn't have any dependencies like that (it's not doing any reflection or serialisation-to-disk, is it?)

Failing that, boot up ol' Reflector and disassemble it, make the change, then rebuild, developer be damned.

1.1 installs just fine after you click past the warning. My point is that there is a warning. I haven't run into any problems with it, but somebody at Microsoft must have been concerned about it.

• User profile image
    cheong

kettch said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

1.1 installs just fine after you click past the warning. My point is that there is a warning. I haven't run into any problems with it, but somebody at Microsoft must have been concerned about it.

I'd think that since .NET v1.1 does not have x64 JIT compiler, all assemblies are run as 32-bit code.

This means that as application runs probably okay, but if you want to run v1.1 ASP.NET applications, you must take special caution on the mix of x86/x64 assemblies. (Running .NET v4 might fix deployment issue, but you won't be able to debug then. Btw, I'm not sure if VS2003 IDE can attach on IIS 7.5)

Also, VS2003 (and it's tools) might need to specifically opt-out from DEP protection to run. (I don't have Win2008 R2 machine to test VS2003, so I don't know)

Recent Achievement unlocked: Code Avenger Tier 4/6: You see dead program. A lot!
    Last modified

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.