Coffeehouse Thread

5 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Interesting approach...

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    elmer

I'm not sure what to make of this.

http://www.dnaindia.com/entertainment/report_bollywood-hiring-cyber-hitmen-to-combat-piracy_1433621

I know that laws differ around the world, but I find it hard to believe any legislation would condone this behaviour (mercenary DOS attacks against sites accused of allowing pirating) or that any commercial entity would consider it a sensible solution ??

• User profile image
    xgamer

I think all media, music and other type of content production companies ( including news sites, knowledge base creation companies )  are still struggling to find convenient way to monetize their content and get value for efforts in the Internet connected digital world, where due to digital nature of content is easily transferable.

The situation is much more dire in Asian and African continent as in these region ( apart from few countries like Singapore ), piracy is a norm instead of being a exception.  One can very clear copies of DVD's of the latest blockbuster movies, music etc in China, South east asia on the day when its released in US. ( Though subtitles and sometime sound quality may be bad )

Distribution utilities like Netflix, Hulu or other services, which allow you to conveniently and cheaply rent content are very few in this region. Lax / Delayed regulatory framework in the region also does not help in this regard.

Unless some company bridges this gap and may be changes the game plan ( like apple did in music / mp3 )  ... i think producers of content will sort of take the approaches highlighted in the news link..... 

• User profile image
    elmer

xgamer said:

I think all media, music and other type of content production companies ( including news sites, knowledge base creation companies )  are still struggling to find convenient way to monetize their content and get value for efforts in the Internet connected digital world, where due to digital nature of content is easily transferable.

The situation is much more dire in Asian and African continent as in these region ( apart from few countries like Singapore ), piracy is a norm instead of being a exception.  One can very clear copies of DVD's of the latest blockbuster movies, music etc in China, South east asia on the day when its released in US. ( Though subtitles and sometime sound quality may be bad )

Distribution utilities like Netflix, Hulu or other services, which allow you to conveniently and cheaply rent content are very few in this region. Lax / Delayed regulatory framework in the region also does not help in this regard.

Unless some company bridges this gap and may be changes the game plan ( like apple did in music / mp3 )  ... i think producers of content will sort of take the approaches highlighted in the news link..... 

I have no sympathy for piracy, but the issue here is that the methods appear to be outsourced vigilantism – they have appointed themselves as Police, Judge and Executioner,

Making accusations, issuing demands, and then implementing a DOS attack if they don’t get compliance with those demands... I don’t know about India, but where I live this would all be totally illegal.

• User profile image
    cheong

elmer said:
    xgamer said:
    *snip*

I have no sympathy for piracy, but the issue here is that the methods appear to be outsourced vigilantism – they have appointed themselves as Police, Judge and Executioner,

Making accusations, issuing demands, and then implementing a DOS attack if they don’t get compliance with those demands... I don’t know about India, but where I live this would all be totally illegal.

In certain countries that has computer securities law but has weaker / without law against piracy, this would lead to geniune criminal charge against the "DOS attack". The companies hiring them for that "service" would get into trouble too. (Not doing DOS attack themselves would not be used as defense, or hiring agencies  to do espionage works at competitors would be legal)

So unless Bollyhood isn't going to trade with those countries, I'd think this is not a sensible move. They could be arrested as soon as they get off the plane.

Recent Achievement unlocked: Code Avenger Tier 4/6: You see dead program. A lot!
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    magicalclick

This only means pirate people need to be in the same cyber hitman network or at least bribe them in some ways.  Also if I am guessing correctly, at least 15% teenager download pirate content and at least 30% "have" downloaded pirated content. Might as well just crab random people and put them in jails.

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.