Coffeehouse Thread

16 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Now this is interesting

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    blowdart

f.lux dims your display as the sun goes down.

• User profile image
    jmzl666

Looks weird at first, let's see how it goes.

Juan Zamudio

• User profile image
    Bas

Interesting, but the lighting in this damned office is pretty much consistent throughout the day.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

I've no need for it, my laptop has a built-in ambient light sensor Big Smile

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

W3bbo said:

I've no need for it, my laptop has a built-in ambient light sensor Big Smile

But that adjusts brightness. This program actually adjust the colour temperature, not the brightness.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

One thing is weird about it. Whatever method it uses to adjust the colour temperature doesn't appear to affect the mouse cursor. That makes it really stand out in night mode, almost fluorescent.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Sven Groot said:

One thing is weird about it. Whatever method it uses to adjust the colour temperature doesn't appear to affect the mouse cursor. That makes it really stand out in night mode, almost fluorescent.

How did Adobe Gamma do its magic? I think this is the same thing: colour correction is only applied to the windows framebuffer which doesn't contain the mouse cursor.

...but how does that work with the DWM?

• User profile image
    qvp

I have been using f.lux (or Redshift for unix-like OSes) for quite awhile now. It took a few days to get used to the red tint as it got later, but now I don't even notice it. But what I have noticed is a lot less eyestrain and therefore less headaches! My office has huge windows on 2 walls so natural light is my main light source.

• User profile image
    exoteric

Absolutely superb idea! Thanks blowdart!

I still want dynamic indoor lighting, but this is the next best thing Smiley

• User profile image
    blowdart

qvp said:

I have been using f.lux (or Redshift for unix-like OSes) for quite awhile now. It took a few days to get used to the red tint as it got later, but now I don't even notice it. But what I have noticed is a lot less eyestrain and therefore less headaches! My office has huge windows on 2 walls so natural light is my main light source.

Funny, I see it as a yellow tint.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

blowdart said:
    qvp said:
    *snip*

Funny, I see it as a yellow tint.

I see poorly calibrated monitors.

Does F.Lux implement the color temperature in software, or does it have an option to use the DDC/DCI channel to physically set your monitor's temperature?

• User profile image
    blowdart

W3bbo said:
    blowdart said:
    *snip*

Does F.Lux implement the color temperature in software, or does it have an option to use the DDC/DCI channel to physically set your monitor's temperature?

Laptop LCD Tongue Out

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

I've been using it since last night (GMT+1 here) and I like it more than I suspected. You get used to it very quickly.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

TommyCarlier said:

I've been using it since last night (GMT+1 here) and I like it more than I suspected. You get used to it very quickly.

Yeah, same here. The only issue that on my primary monitor it makes links on some sites a bit hard to see. But I did feel it was much easier on my eyes.

• User profile image
    qvp

W3bbo said:
    blowdart said:
    *snip*

I do have my monitor correctly calibrated... Here is a snip from where I 1st heard about it; it explains the reasoning behind the red tint.

"If you’re not familiar with F.lux you probably don’t know what Redshift does. Essentially this application will, as it gets darker outside, alter your computer’s display and give everything a red tinge. There’s a reason for that. The type of lighting that is around you changes as it gets darker outside. Sunlight is very white, but artificial lighting tends to be more red. As such, if you read something on a piece of paper it will look white to your eyes during the day and reddish at night.

You don’t notice this because your brain automatically balances the difference. Your computer monitor, being backlit, is constantly white. Because of this, looking at your computer at night can hurt your eyes and cause you to lose sleep. Redshift helps offset this."

source: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/redshift-eyes-sharp-helps-sleep-linux/

• User profile image
    AndyC

Started using this yesterday and definitely slept better last night. Coincidence? Possibly but I think worthy of investing a bit more time to get used to the slighty weird colour effect.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.