Coffeehouse Thread

29 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

I need to shave

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

As many of you are familar, my body likes to grow beards much faster than other people. And right now it's a bit of a mess.

Now I'm due to be an on-hand demonstrator at my uni's open-day this coming Saturday, so I need get rid of this ginger merkin from my face, but I appear to have left my shaver at my "home"-home a good 2 hours away.

My options:

• Go into the city centre and find a barber
    • Go into the city centre and buy a new electric shaver (I need a new one anyway, but they're so expensive. £160 for a Braun)
    • Go into the city centre and buy a set of Bic razors, or maybe a longer-lasting Gilette razor. What else do I need to buy? Shaving foam and brush? How much are we talking?
    • Scare away potential new undergrads with my face

Discuss.

• User profile image
    CKurt

Buy a gilette fusion. You usually get the holder for free with 2 blades for arround 15 dollars I guess. And use Gillette Gell instead of foam.

It looks wierd if you only have done electric shaving, but it's not that wierd and goes quite smootly.

• User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

Just buy a beard trimmer and trim it short. If you shave it off all at once your skin might be irritated and will break out with pimples by Saturday

• User profile image
    MasterPi

Your extended options:

1.) Buy skin paint and paint over your beard.

2.) Build a puppet and control him from above the ceiling.

3.) Claim you're Richard Stallman.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

I've always wondered why the various hair depilatories (sp?) say that they aren't meant for the face.  Unless there is potential for scarring, you could try that.

Or get a wax....

BTW, I've found it to be a general rule that those (including me) who have excessive facial hair are doomed to go anywhere from semi to fully bald.

It sucks, but thems the rules.

• User profile image
    Minh

I think you should NAIR your face

• User profile image
    elmer

- Go into the city centre and buy a new electric shaver (I need a new one anyway, but they're so expensive. £160 for a Braun)

You don't mention what's wrong with the old one - replacement parts are available for most shavers on Ebay.

I have a 15-YO Braun and except for replacing foils & cutting blocks every now & then, it's almost indestructible... but I picked up one on ebay for almost nothing, just to use as parts, in case something major dies.

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

CKurt said:

Buy a gilette fusion. You usually get the holder for free with 2 blades for arround 15 dollars I guess. And use Gillette Gell instead of foam.

It looks wierd if you only have done electric shaving, but it's not that wierd and goes quite smootly.

+1

The new vibrating razors are pretty good (they vibrate like an electric toothbrush) and the gel is easy to apply (just rub it on and it froths up).

Just take it slow if your beard is more than just stubble and don't press too hard, shaving with the lay of the hair (and not against it) -- this should lead to less skin irritation the first time.

Herbie

• User profile image
    Jaz

Trim excess hair off the beard till it's very short

I use Clinique Face Scrub followed by Clinique Facewash to prepare my shave

I use gillete Gell for shaving foam, a little goes a long way

Gillete Fusion razor.  Some people suggest relathering when going against the grain

• User profile image
    Ian2

Second the Fusion / Gell idea.

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

I salute you, martian

• User profile image
    fabian

Buy a box of matches and set it on fire Wink
    Will cost you around 50 cents

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

fabian said:

Buy a box of matches and set it on fire Wink
    Will cost you around 50 cents

lol'd

Herbie

• User profile image
    Ian2

Dr Herbie said:
    fabian said:
    *snip*

lol'd

Herbie

lol at lol'd (never seen it as a verb)

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

Ian2 said:
    Dr Herbie said:
    *snip*

lol at lol'd (never seen it as a verb)

Verbing nouns is fun. Verbing acronyms is funner.

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

TommyCarlier said:
    Ian2 said:
    *snip*

Verbing nouns is fun. Verbing acronyms is funner.

This is the interwebs, the normal rules of grammar don't necessarily apply.

Herbie

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Dr Herbie said:
    TommyCarlier said:
    *snip*

This is the interwebs, the normal rules of grammar don't necessarily apply.

Herbie

I think you mean they necessarily don't apply.

• User profile image
    rhm

£160 for a shaver? WTF. Try Argos, you can get one for under £20

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.