Coffeehouse Thread

29 posts

Windows Phone 7 RTM day one in Redmond ROCK FEST!!!

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • Dovella

    Link Pictures 

     

    ROOOCKK!!!! Big Smile

     

    Generic Forum Image  

     

    PS.

    I remind those offended by the WP7 parade that Jobs said that users who choose MS products must be drunk. Where was your outrage then?

  • rhm

    Grow up.

  • JoshRoss

    This parade?

     

    -Josh

  • Cream​Filling512

    Can't wait to pick one up!

  • xgamer

     .. a premature victory lap .. may be ... i really hope it succeeds .. it has many good points going for it ...

     

    anyway it was really funny to watch the thriller sequence ...

  • rjdohnert

    They need to be careful, Jobs and Co. may go ahead and put up a Windows Phone hearst in WWDC if Windows Phone 7 fails. 

  • Ian2

    rjdohnert said:

    They need to be careful, Jobs and Co. may go ahead and put up a Windows Phone hearst in WWDC if Windows Phone 7 fails. 

    Wish I could bet on the success of WP7 - it feels like the right product at the right time.

  • Dr Herbie

    Ian2 said:
    rjdohnert said:
    *snip*

    Wish I could bet on the success of WP7 - it feels like the right product at the right time.

    The trouble I have with WP7 is that the only people who's opinions I've heard are geeks; I'm not convinced 'normal' people will care.

    To me it feels like the right produce because I want to write apps for it and I like Silverlight much more than Objective C.  But that's not a consideration to most of the population.

     

    Anyone heard any non-geek opinions on it?

     

    Herbie

     

  • vesuvius

    Dr Herbie said:
    Ian2 said:
    *snip*

    The trouble I have with WP7 is that the only people who's opinions I've heard are geeks; I'm not convinced 'normal' people will care.

    To me it feels like the right produce because I want to write apps for it and I like Silverlight much more than Objective C.  But that's not a consideration to most of the population.

     

    Anyone heard any non-geek opinions on it?

     

    Herbie

     

    I think you have it sussed out there.

     

    It is something worth excitation, abundantly, if you are a .NET developer, but gone are the days where everything was iPhone, Android or WP7.

     

    At work people use firefox, IE6 or chrome so I think the same will go for phones. Some businesses force IE on their users, like they will force WP7 for the business, but iPhone and Android are very strong, and will remain so.

     

    Android is the first software that has put a smile on my face, it's just such a joy to use, and millions of people have voted by getting a droid. I find nothing compelling at all in WP7 that I don't already have.

     

     

  • MasterPi

    I met one of the developers on the WP7 team two days ago and got to see the device in person.

    It is as fast and responsive as bloggers reported. No lag whatsoever. The guy walked through some scenarios like finding your phone by logging in to a Windows Live service and hitting the "Ring my phone" button. He also showed off the Zune aspect of the phone...go to Zune marketplace, choose a song, hit play, song streams directly from the marketplace.

     

    The home screen was actually really fun. It reminds me of the XBOX 360 home screen...active, but in subtle ways. Your XBOX avatar will pop out of the XBOX Live tile every now and then. Mail tile will slide up from time to time to give an inbox status. I really did feel the phone was trying to help me. It didn't feel like a device that was there just for displaying information. I was pretty impressed.

  • Ian2

    Dr Herbie said:
    Ian2 said:
    *snip*

    The trouble I have with WP7 is that the only people who's opinions I've heard are geeks; I'm not convinced 'normal' people will care.

    To me it feels like the right produce because I want to write apps for it and I like Silverlight much more than Objective C.  But that's not a consideration to most of the population.

     

    Anyone heard any non-geek opinions on it?

     

    Herbie

     

    With great marketing consumers will buy products that are not necessarily the best in their field.  The right marketing with the best product is a pretty good combination.  I don't think MS is going to get this wrong - it's also coming on the back of Windows 7 which bodes well.  I will be surprised if it isn't a big, big hit (but yes, I am a geeek so my view on things is tainted by that I guess).   

  • JeremyJ

    Dr Herbie said:
    Ian2 said:
    *snip*

    The trouble I have with WP7 is that the only people who's opinions I've heard are geeks; I'm not convinced 'normal' people will care.

    To me it feels like the right produce because I want to write apps for it and I like Silverlight much more than Objective C.  But that's not a consideration to most of the population.

     

    Anyone heard any non-geek opinions on it?

     

    Herbie

     

    I think what will make or break it for them is if they get the marketing right.  We all know that this has been a problem for Microsoft in the past.  Hopefully they have learned from past mistakes. 

     

    I think that the huge developer base (.NET developers) will really be what makes it a success.  It is so simple to make .NET and Silverlight apps (in comparison to Objective C and Java) that I think the Marketplace will grow rapidly.  I think that the XBox and Zune integration will help make it a success outside of the normal geek community.  Those are two features that no other smartphone can match.

     

    I will be picking one up as soon as I can.

  • elmer

    JeremyJ said:
    Dr Herbie said:
    *snip*

    I think what will make or break it for them is if they get the marketing right.  We all know that this has been a problem for Microsoft in the past.  Hopefully they have learned from past mistakes. 

     

    I think that the huge developer base (.NET developers) will really be what makes it a success.  It is so simple to make .NET and Silverlight apps (in comparison to Objective C and Java) that I think the Marketplace will grow rapidly.  I think that the XBox and Zune integration will help make it a success outside of the normal geek community.  Those are two features that no other smartphone can match.

     

    I will be picking one up as soon as I can.

    I think what will make or break it for them is if they get the marketing right.

     

    I assume you mean Promotion (Advertising) ?

     

    Marketing is actually the total process of finding the right combination of 4 main factors, to maximise success.

     

    When I did marketing, these were referred to as the "4 P's"

     

     - Product

     - Price

     - Promotion

     - Placement

     

    You don't necessarily need to be the best in any one to be a success... the key is in finding the right combination for what the market wants.

     

    Apple focus on Product and Promotion, and I think that MS would be crazy to attempt the same.

     

    Personally, I believe that the key for MS is more likely PRICE, for much the same reasons already noted above.

     

    Apple has already established itself as the "luxury" item,  but as Nokia knows, there is a much bigger market of less demanding and/or less affluent buyers.

     

    So long as the product meets the basic requirements, I suspect those consumers will make their decision on price rather than esoteric, geek-oriented or peer-group feature.

  • vesuvius

    elmer said:
    JeremyJ said:
    *snip*

    I think what will make or break it for them is if they get the marketing right.

     

    I assume you mean Promotion (Advertising) ?

     

    Marketing is actually the total process of finding the right combination of 4 main factors, to maximise success.

     

    When I did marketing, these were referred to as the "4 P's"

     

     - Product

     - Price

     - Promotion

     - Placement

     

    You don't necessarily need to be the best in any one to be a success... the key is in finding the right combination for what the market wants.

     

    Apple focus on Product and Promotion, and I think that MS would be crazy to attempt the same.

     

    Personally, I believe that the key for MS is more likely PRICE, for much the same reasons already noted above.

     

    Apple has already established itself as the "luxury" item,  but as Nokia knows, there is a much bigger market of less demanding and/or less affluent buyers.

     

    So long as the product meets the basic requirements, I suspect those consumers will make their decision on price rather than esoteric, geek-oriented or peer-group feature.

    Surely that where Google Android comes in, litigation via Oracle withstanding?

     

    There is absolutely nothing that WP7 offers that Android does not at present, and it is aesthetically pleasing. I like the metro design, but the droids aren't exactly an eyesore. The multi-touch is fantastic, and the text rendering is gorgeous (something I'm still yet to be conviced about on Silverlight)

     

    Yes there is a greater developer-base for WP7, but what tools do hobbyists have to create WP7 applications?

     

    I think an expression blend express is long overdue, the longer a key component like that is unavailable for the bulk of developers and hobbyists, then the harder it will be to play catchup

  • elmer

    vesuvius said:
    elmer said:
    *snip*

    Surely that where Google Android comes in, litigation via Oracle withstanding?

     

    There is absolutely nothing that WP7 offers that Android does not at present, and it is aesthetically pleasing. I like the metro design, but the droids aren't exactly an eyesore. The multi-touch is fantastic, and the text rendering is gorgeous (something I'm still yet to be conviced about on Silverlight)

     

    Yes there is a greater developer-base for WP7, but what tools do hobbyists have to create WP7 applications?

     

    I think an expression blend express is long overdue, the longer a key component like that is unavailable for the bulk of developers and hobbyists, then the harder it will be to play catchup

    I believe that the Androids are actually more product than the average buyer wants, let alone needs.

     

    No question they are all generally excellent smart-phones, but that is an over-crowded and relatively niche market, compared to the wider feature-phone sector that Nokia excels in.

  • vesuvius

    elmer said:
    vesuvius said:
    *snip*

    I believe that the Androids are actually more product than the average buyer wants, let alone needs.

     

    No question they are all generally excellent smart-phones, but that is an over-crowded and relatively niche market, compared to the wider feature-phone sector that Nokia excels in.

    So where does WP7 slot in? That is my concern.  What is it that it has that others do not that make it a compelling purchase?

  • elmer

    vesuvius said:
    elmer said:
    *snip*

    So where does WP7 slot in? That is my concern.  What is it that it has that others do not that make it a compelling purchase?

    Exactly... MS are not going to out-feature iPhone or Android, and they sure as hell are not going to out promote Apple, but they can buy themselves market-share by subsidising the pricing to make it an attractive option for those who would otherwise buy a cheaper feature-phone.

  • n4cer

    vesuvius said:
    elmer said:
    *snip*

    Surely that where Google Android comes in, litigation via Oracle withstanding?

     

    There is absolutely nothing that WP7 offers that Android does not at present, and it is aesthetically pleasing. I like the metro design, but the droids aren't exactly an eyesore. The multi-touch is fantastic, and the text rendering is gorgeous (something I'm still yet to be conviced about on Silverlight)

     

    Yes there is a greater developer-base for WP7, but what tools do hobbyists have to create WP7 applications?

     

    I think an expression blend express is long overdue, the longer a key component like that is unavailable for the bulk of developers and hobbyists, then the harder it will be to play catchup

    The developer tools for Windows Phone (which include Visual Studio Express 2010 for Windows Phone, XNA Games Studio 4, Expression Blend 4 for Windows Phone, and the emulator) are free. You'll be able to download the final release of the tools this Thursday.

     

    http://developer.windowsphone.com/

     

    Hobbyists may download and use those tools to develop apps for Windows Phone 7.

    For pros that already have the commercial SKUs of VS or Blend installed, app templates, documentation, etc. from that same download will be added to their existing installs.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.