Coffeehouse Thread

38 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Another MS marketing fail. Really, wtf?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    NitzW

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/10/microsoft-celebrates-windows-phone-7-rtm-with-funeral-parade-for/

Really hard to imagine how this was allowed.  Not just because you might consider it in poor taste, just that the hubris displayed has such a disconnect with reality. 

PeterB from ARSTechnica put it best I think:

"I find this kind of thing so embarrassing. OK, I do get that the people working on the product may be excited about it. But here's the thing: your product is three years late, its predecessor is universally reviled (except by Emkorial, apparently), and when it ships, it's not going to be feature complete (we can quibble about how important the missing features are or aren't, but the fact remains: they're missing).

You don't get to pull stunts like this when you're in that position. The arrogance isn't deserved. It makes you look completely out of touch. It makes you look like total assholes, frankly. And that's assuming Windows Phone 7 does well in the market. I think it probably deserves to, but it's by no means guaranteed. If it bombs, it'll mean you don't just look like arrogant assholes: you look like arrogant retarded assholes.

If we were talking 3-12 months in, and Windows Phone 7 is proving to be popular--taking marketshare and mindshare from its competitors--then OK. It would still be a pretty fucking lame way of celebrating, but you'd at least have a point: you'd be producing a product that was winning people over. But right now? Talk about fucking hubris."

You want to know why you're not as "hip" as Apple, MS?  It's stuff like this.

• User profile image
    vesuvius
  • User profile image
    elmer

Absolutely cringe-worthy juvenile stuff, and whoever was responsible for this really ought to be shown the door.

• User profile image
    Charles

elmer said:

Absolutely cringe-worthy juvenile stuff, and whoever was responsible for this really ought to be shown the door.

It's really no different than a pep rally before a football game in the home gym.... This was a private event, not one held in a public park. The team should be able to celebrate in any way they want to in their own house. Too bad the photos were shipped to the public cloud, but in some sense, so what....

C

• User profile image
    vesuvius

Charles said:
    elmer said:
    *snip*

It's really no different than a pep rally before a football game in the home gym.... This was a private event, not one held in a public park. The team should be able to celebrate in any way they want to in their own house. Too bad the photos were shipped to the public cloud, but in some sense, so what....

C

Tony Blair said in a recent interview that he regrets signing off the freedom of information act, that makes it impossible for two people in Government to have a private conversation. There is no such thing as private anymore in the traditional sense.

I agree that if this was private then it can be as politically incorrect as it wants, herses included.

• User profile image
    elmer

Charles said:
    elmer said:
    *snip*

C

Too bad the photos were shipped to the public cloud

You don't think that anyone could have anticipated this happening, and that it would be used by the various media ?

There is no such thing as a "private event" in a public company, and with such an important product release for MS (it really is their last roll of the dice) this is last thing that MS should be allowing.

Get the product right, get the pricing right, get the sales on the board... THEN celebrate.

• User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

This is the type of thing people need blogs to rant about.

• User profile image
    Bass

vesuvius said:
    Charles said:
    *snip*

Tony Blair said in a recent interview that he regrets signing off the freedom of information act, that makes it impossible for two people in Government to have a private conversation. There is no such thing as private anymore in the traditional sense.

I agree that if this was private then it can be as politically incorrect as it wants, herses included.

I know this is not relevent, but that's the way it SHOULD be. Government is a servant of the people it governs over. It's not a private entity with privacy.

• User profile image
    davewill

In total agreement with what Charles said.  Additional note to self, don't read engadget.com anymore as the "news" section contained "editorial" remarks.

• User profile image
    Bass

That article has one flaw: it doesn't say how to get this "development" money. Tongue Out

• User profile image
    dahat

IMO the only 'fail' about the whole parade is that they didn't exactly tell anyone about it ahead of time (outside of the related teams).

Had I known ahead of time I gladly would have taken a few min from the office, and gone down to cheer them and their work on.

• User profile image
    Charles

Chris... Come on, man.

C

• User profile image
    magicalclick

dahat said:

IMO the only 'fail' about the whole parade is that they didn't exactly tell anyone about it ahead of time (outside of the related teams).

Had I known ahead of time I gladly would have taken a few min from the office, and gone down to cheer them and their work on.

If they provide a free plane ticket, I would take a day off and join the party LOLz. Apple has been a jerk for so long, I want to slap them back really hard.

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    GoddersUK

They do in London.

• User profile image
    figuerres

Charles said:
    elmer said:
    *snip*

C

Sorry Charles but in this i think folks at MS made a big mistake.

as was mentiond in nthe quote from the OP....

it's not out yet, it's way late to the party, we have yet to see how it does in the market.

and any thing like that "event" is bound to get some kind of press coverage.

so it just makes MS look bad.

they should have held that event *AFTER* say some sales record was set of number of units activated by users.

untill then this phone is a "might be"

I hope it does well.

but untill i see a large consumer adoption that starts to cut into the iPhone, Android and BlackBerry then it's not anything to cheer for.

• User profile image
    NitzW

figuerres said:
    Charles said:
    *snip*

it's not out yet, it's way late to the party, we have yet to see how it does in the market.

they should have held that event *AFTER* say some sales record was set of number of units activated by users.

I hope it does well.

but untill i see a large consumer adoption that starts to cut into the iPhone, Android and BlackBerry then it's not anything to cheer for.

Didn't know it was private actually, so that does temper my criticism somewhat.  But of course putting the pics up for the pubic to see kind of takes away from the argument "Oh we're just letting our developers blow off some steam!".  Fine, but then keep the damn thing private if that's the case.  

With how far back MS is coming from (largely their own fault), it just really looks incredibly arrogant.  This is not some little spunky start-up here showing ironic bravado, this is a massive corporation that gave away the phone market to competitors and did so partly out of their own largess.  Have a nice release party sure, but a stunt like this, even if was meant to be completely in-jest for the development staff, just comes across as really juvenile when there's so, so much work ahead of them to remotely approach the success of the iPhone/Android.

It's really no different than if the Zune team gave a mock funeral for the iPod when the ZuneHD was released.  Say, how'd that work out? Smiley

• User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

I still don't see why it matters. The only reason I can think why someone would be a critic is the belief that Microsoft shouldn't feel so good.

• User profile image
    Dovella

figuerres said:
    Charles said:
    *snip*

I hope it does well.

PS.

I remind those offended by the WP7 parade that Jobs said that users who choose MS products must be drunk. Where was your outrage then?

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.