Coffeehouse Thread

13 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Printers

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    spivonious

A bit silly, but my current printer (HP PSC1210) is out of ink and I'm wondering if I'd benefit more by getting a new printer. I'd love to move to a network printer (either wired or wireless, it doesn't matter) and I'm sure quality and print speed have gotten better in the 6-7 years I've had my HP. I don't print too many things these days, but I do use the scanner piece and would love to be able to print Walmart-quality photos.

Any recommendations?

• User profile image
    ManipUni

I have two recommendations -

Black & White: "Cheap" Laser Printer

Colour: Kodak Wireless Inkjet

Why? Kodak make good printers but in addition to that they also keep the cost of the replacement inks sane. While the other companies discount the cost of the printers and increase the cost of the inks, Kodak do the opposite. If you calculate the "total cost of ownership" over at least three refills Kodak always win.

A cheap B&W laser printer is just kick butt. They last for 10K sheets and you can put in the cheapest paper imaginable and it still looks great. It is like owning a photocopier in your home, and they start very competitively with inkjet printers. I wouldn't buy a wireless one since you will need to throw it out when you run out of ink. Also colour laser printers are worthless unless all you need is graphs.

• User profile image
    wkempf

I'd consider getting a laser. The price difference isn't that great anymore, and the savings on toner vs. ink would entirely make up for it.

• User profile image
    Minh

Don't bother with wireless. That set of technologies is extremely unreliable (probably software)... I turned mine of after getting a 50% successful print rate.

• User profile image
    rhm

wkempf said:

I'd consider getting a laser. The price difference isn't that great anymore, and the savings on toner vs. ink would entirely make up for it.

Don't get a cheap colour laser. Colour toners are insanely expensive even compared to inkjet ink.

I agree that getting a small laser is a good idea if you just want lots of B&W printout.

Brother is another manufacturer that prices their inkjet ink reasonably (if you have one of the more expensive models that has the cartridge seperate from the print head).

• User profile image
    spivonious

Is wireless support really that bad? My dad has a wired laser printer and as long as you install the software locally, he's never had a print job fail. It would be nice to not have to have my PC on to print from the laptop.

What about one of these devices?

Any thoughts on the dedicated photo printers? Is dye-sublimation still the best option?

• User profile image
    vesuvius

I don't print too many things these days, but I do use the scanner piece and would love to be able to print Walmart-quality photos.

Any recommendations?

You can get an all in one printer for £40 (probably half that for people stateside) that does the job. Since you don't use it much, it might be wastfull shelling out on the more expensive ones, when all it'll do is sit on the shelf. Most of the time you just scan the document, and send that in Email.

• User profile image
    spivonious

vesuvius said:

I don't print too many things these days, but I do use the scanner piece and would love to be able to print Walmart-quality photos.

Any recommendations?

You can get an all in one printer for £40 (probably half that for people stateside) that does the job. Since you don't use it much, it might be wastfull shelling out on the more expensive ones, when all it'll do is sit on the shelf. Most of the time you just scan the document, and send that in Email.

I'm wary of the cheapest models for photo print quality, but I agree that getting a really fast/nice printer just for text would be a waste of money in my situation. Most of my printing would be photos and the occasional webpage.

Does anyone have experience with Kodak's ESP 7250? It looks to be a nice balance between features and cost, and the ink is super cheap.

• User profile image
    ManipUni

Minh said:

Don't bother with wireless. That set of technologies is extremely unreliable (probably software)... I turned mine of after getting a 50% successful print rate.

Hasn't been my experience. Wireless printing works perfectly. So does the wireless reader slot and scanner.

I have a Kodak Easyshare 5250 which is the 7250's little brother which I'm very happy with. Only problem I found is that it struggles to tag just a single sheet of cheap paper, but if you put in a single sheet of expensive paper or multiple sheets of cheap stuff then it is not an issue.

• User profile image
    spivonious

ManipUni said:
    Minh said:
    *snip*

Hasn't been my experience. Wireless printing works perfectly. So does the wireless reader slot and scanner.

I have a Kodak Easyshare 5250 which is the 7250's little brother which I'm very happy with. Only problem I found is that it struggles to tag just a single sheet of cheap paper, but if you put in a single sheet of expensive paper or multiple sheets of cheap stuff then it is not an issue.

Do you find that the 5250 uses up ink any faster than other inkjets? I found some mention of that during my perusal of user reviews.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

rhm said:
    wkempf said:
    *snip*

Don't get a cheap colour laser. Colour toners are insanely expensive even compared to inkjet ink.

I agree that getting a small laser is a good idea if you just want lots of B&W printout.

Brother is another manufacturer that prices their inkjet ink reasonably (if you have one of the more expensive models that has the cartridge seperate from the print head).

Speak for yourself; we've got an entry-level HP Color LaserJet 2600n at home. It's slow (10ppm or worse) but much cheaper to run than the inkjets we had in the past. Picture quality is good (600dpi with fake 2400dpi mode available and on by default).

Watch out as the entry-level 'network' printers don't have their own print server, instead each computer prints directly to the printer using a TCP/IP 'Port', so it's a kind of glorified printer hub system, except using ethernet instead of parallel cables.

• User profile image
    magicalclick

To be honest, my older HP printer is actually better quality than the new one. The new one is somewhat flimsy, maybe because it is cheaper LOL. But, new printer is louder than older one in general, argggg.

Another wierd thing is that, wifi is not all that good. Don't know why, some kind of wifi printer driver issues on my part most likely.

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    spivonious

Well, I saw the Kodak 7250 on a fairly good sale at Best Buy tonight, so I bought it. I understand how they get the ink so cheap now: the print head is not attached to the ink cartridge like it is with HP, so you're just buying an ink container. I wonder how much a new print head costs, since those do wear out eventually.

I don't have an ethernet cable quite long enough to reach the printer, from the switch, so I'm using wireless for now. It seemed to connect to my access point easily; I'm downloading the printer software now, so we'll see how it holds up.

First thoughts are that it's kind of noisy, but it's attractive and seems solidly put together. The calibration page it printed looks very good. No lines are bleeding, colors are solid and clarity is on the higher end of inkjets. So far, it's a good step up from my 6 year-old $100 HP.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.