Coffeehouse Thread

11 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Cross Platform Web-API?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    ManipUni

Can anyone recommend any good reading or even technology names to research in the realm of cross platform web-API frameworks?

I know a little about SOAP but few others. Basically I'm tasked with writing something that can be accessed by ASP.Net, PHP (Linux & Windows), and Object C.

I could use simple POST/GET requests and while that would be easy to write for me it might be a little awkward for others to use, since they would have to hard-code most of it in, and any changes to the "API" would mean rewrites remotely.

The kind of project is likely fairly generic given that it is just exposing a database's information to external parties and allowing them to update certain fields when permissible.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

All web-services are cross-platform, that's kinda the point Tongue Out

There are SOAP libraries for pretty much every language and platform out there, but don't think the "Simple" in SOAP is truthful, the fact is anything but. RESTful is far far simpler and more intuitive.

SOAP only really makes sense for multi-million dollar "Enterprise" systems (or something), I think it's deliberately painful like CORBA to give it a high cost of entry.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Take a look at Astoria (now known as ADO.NET Data Services), it's a very simple way to put a REST wrapper around a database.

• User profile image
    cheong

W3bbo said:

There are SOAP libraries for pretty much every language and platform out there, but don't think the "Simple" in SOAP is truthful, the fact is anything but. RESTful is far far simpler and more intuitive.

SOAP only really makes sense for multi-million dollar "Enterprise" systems (or something), I think it's deliberately painful like CORBA to give it a high cost of entry.

Agreed, if we aren't talking about data with structure, all are about the same. (Say, you can even do the pre-AJAX way of providing web URL that'll just return "Hello world!" or "10" without HTML or XML tags base on parameters supplied.)

It's when you talk about data structure, or large set of data, that it does matter.

Also, think about whether your web API would be called by third party clients. If so, you might really want to do the web service.

Recent Achievement unlocked: Code Avenger Tier 4/6: You see dead program. A lot!
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

cheong said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

Agreed, if we aren't talking about data with structure, all are about the same. (Say, you can even do the pre-AJAX way of providing web URL that'll just return "Hello world!" or "10" without HTML or XML tags base on parameters supplied.)

It's when you talk about data structure, or large set of data, that it does matter.

Also, think about whether your web API would be called by third party clients. If so, you might really want to do the web service.

Yeah, I'm not keen on how everything is now available over HTTP even when it makes little sense (beyond buzzword compliance). I understand the main push for HTTP-RPC is to bypass firewalls and web proxies by tunnelling through HTTP, but it just seems "wrong" in my mind.

Manip, you've done your CS degree, you've had modules that covered network communication, what's wrong with sockets? Big Smile

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

W3bbo said:

Rubbish, SOAP it's self is very simple and it's a pick and choose for what you want to use on top of that, my current project uses SOAP for it's messaging plus WS-Atomic, WS-Trust, WS-RM  and a few others.

@PaoloM ADO.NET Data Services is now WCF Data Services

For pretty much any data exchange that involves CRUD these days I use WCF Data Services (OData) which is basically REST (ATOM).  If the server is .Net, there are client libraries for all the other techs you mentioned.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

W3bbo said:
    cheong said:
    *snip*

Yeah, I'm not keen on how everything is now available over HTTP even when it makes little sense (beyond buzzword compliance). I understand the main push for HTTP-RPC is to bypass firewalls and web proxies by tunnelling through HTTP, but it just seems "wrong" in my mind.

Manip, you've done your CS degree, you've had modules that covered network communication, what's wrong with sockets? Big Smile

what's wrong with sockets?

They don't go thru firewalls.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

PaoloM said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

They don't go thru firewalls.

Port 80. Only a packet-sniffing stateful firewall would block it.

• User profile image
    Bass

RESTful web services are pretty popular where I work. It requires a different kind of thinking to develop them properly though.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

W3bbo said:
    PaoloM said:
    *snip*

Port 80. Only a packet-sniffing stateful firewall would block it.

I don't get it. Once you go on a reserved port, why not using the protocol assigned to it? Just to mess things up?

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

PaoloM said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

I don't get it. Once you go on a reserved port, why not using the protocol assigned to it? Just to mess things up?

Agreed, especially port 80 and REST, you lose any advantage of things like caching proxies etc

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.