Coffeehouse Thread

136 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

IE9 Beta

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    vesuvius

It 's out now http://windows.microsoft.com/ie9?os=win7&arch=b&browser=ie

Hope it plays nice and uninstalls.

• User profile image
    DCMonkey

I don't feel like installing it. Could you check if the tabs can be moved to their own row? I like everything else I've read about IE9 except the new positioning of the tabs. I'm quite likely to switch to Chrome full time if they can't be put somewhere with more horizontal space.

I'd also be curious to see what an enabled favorites bar and the feed list (if there still is one) look like.

PS: I'm seeing some screenshots with the address box much smaller that in others. Is there a draggable splitter between that and the tabs? If so that might alleviate some of the loss of space.

• User profile image
    vesuvius

First thoughts; I cannot post anything in IE9 (so am using firefox), is is almost as if TinyMCE does not allow focus into the channel 9 text control)...anyone repro?

I have gone through program files to ensure that I am using the 32 bit version, that does not work like the 64 bit version.

The installation was quicker than anticipated, still, I hate having to reboot (somebody will say that it is part of the OS - but I still dislike it)

It failed to retain my default search engine, and set me back to MSN.

I like the new design, looks great on windows 7, and I like the fact that the search box now takes about  4/6ths of the top level, it feels natural

The home button has dissapeared, you can always show the command bar as of IE8, but I still don't think I like the metro style chopped back button. Chrome and Firefox have managed to be attractive without such drastic UI changes, and I think it will be like marmite (which I deplore, by the way)

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

DCMonkey said:

I don't feel like installing it. Could you check if the tabs can be moved to their own row? I like everything else I've read about IE9 except the new positioning of the tabs. I'm quite likely to switch to Chrome full time if they can't be put somewhere with more horizontal space.

I'd also be curious to see what an enabled favorites bar and the feed list (if there still is one) look like.

PS: I'm seeing some screenshots with the address box much smaller that in others. Is there a draggable splitter between that and the tabs? If so that might alleviate some of the loss of space.

The tabs are very 'chromey' in that you can drag them around and tear them off.  I don't know what you mean about creating a new row -- how do you do that in Chrome?

Herbie

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

vesuvius said:

First thoughts; I cannot post anything in IE9 (so am using firefox), is is almost as if TinyMCE does not allow focus into the channel 9 text control)...anyone repro?

I have gone through program files to ensure that I am using the 32 bit version, that does not work like the 64 bit version.

The installation was quicker than anticipated, still, I hate having to reboot (somebody will say that it is part of the OS - but I still dislike it)

It failed to retain my default search engine, and set me back to MSN.

I like the new design, looks great on windows 7, and I like the fact that the search box now takes about  4/6ths of the top level, it feels natural

The home button has dissapeared, you can always show the command bar as of IE8, but I still don't think I like the metro style chopped back button. Chrome and Firefox have managed to be attractive without such drastic UI changes, and I think it will be like marmite (which I deplore, by the way)

You're right -- can't activate the edit box.  I'm posting from Chrome.

Herbie

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

Dr Herbie said:
    DCMonkey said:
    *snip*

The tabs are very 'chromey' in that you can drag them around and tear them off.  I don't know what you mean about creating a new row -- how do you do that in Chrome?

Herbie

Generic Forum Image

That's a no to a second row of tabs, though it does seem really fast and the docking/undocking of tabs is done very well, I like.

Also unable to post to C9!

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Dr Herbie said:
    vesuvius said:
    *snip*

You're right -- can't activate the edit box.  I'm posting from Chrome.

Herbie

This happens also from iPhone/iPad.

CHARLES MAKE IT WORK!

Smiley

• User profile image
    DCMonkey

Dr Herbie said:
    DCMonkey said:
    *snip*

Herbie

I mean position that tabs so that there isn't an address bar to the left  of them taking up the space that two or more tabs could.

• User profile image
    vesuvius

Dr Herbie said:
    DCMonkey said:
    *snip*

Herbie

I have tried to move the tabs onto the second row, and cannot, but you can pin a tab to the taskbar, just by dragging it.

I also think that it would be nice to have the tabs on a second row, but to save viewing space (which tey seem to be going for), I would swap the tabs and the searchbox position because it feels more natural to have your tabs on the left. I think it the single most important change they need to make.

I also think the buttons are pixelated when they turn yellow and nowhere near as clear when green

Generic Forum Image

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

vesuvius said:
    Dr Herbie said:
    *snip*

I have tried to move the tabs onto the second row, and cannot, but you can pin a tab to the taskbar, just by dragging it.

I also think that it would be nice to have the tabs on a second row, but to save viewing space (which tey seem to be going for), I would swap the tabs and the searchbox position because it feels more natural to have your tabs on the left. I think it the single most important change they need to make.

I also think the buttons are pixelated when they turn yellow and nowhere near as clear when green

Generic Forum Image

I like the address bar on the left.  What I would like is the address bar to auto expand and push all my tabs hard to the right.

Marketing fail.. this site looks really great when you go there in IE9 http://www.beautyoftheweb.com/ you have to force it into compat mode.I take this back, it works now.

• User profile image
    vesuvius

PerfectPhase said:
    vesuvius said:
    *snip*

I like the address bar on the left.  What I would like is the address bar to auto expand and push all my tabs hard to the right.

Marketing fail.. this site looks really great when you go there in IE9 http://www.beautyoftheweb.com/ you have to force it into compat mode.I take this back, it works now.

I guess they need a way to allow users to customise the initial position of the searchbox and the tabs. In this day and age features like this should be included, as they are not difficult to add or implement. I don't want to do a like for like comparison, but firefox has allowed you to control your tabs for some time now. I still use IE8 daily now, because like IE9, it has a luxurious feel to it, it's only not being able to post that has made me use firefox.

I like the balance they ended up with the Win 7 taskbar after beta. I never hide the labels and have my taskbar like it was in Vista. Less RSI for my mouse hand. I hope these changes can be pencilled in.

A quick gadabout the options screen shows nothing immediately perceptible as different, nothing at all.

• User profile image
    rhm

PerfectPhase said:
    Dr Herbie said:
    *snip*

Generic Forum Image

That's a no to a second row of tabs, though it does seem really fast and the docking/undocking of tabs is done very well, I like.

Also unable to post to C9!

IE team in UI fail shocker. Not.

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

Anyone know if there is a shortcut key to enable search in the address bar on demand?

• User profile image
    Lizard​Rumsfeld

PerfectPhase said:
    vesuvius said:
    *snip*

Ugh - hate the address bar on the left.  Two issues with it:

1) Reduces tab space.  This will really suck on netbooks.

2) I frequently re-use open tabs by selecting the tab, then quickly mousing down and clicking to highlight the address bar, then using autocomplete in chrome to resolve the link.  With IE9, now I'm moving the mouse all the way back to the left address bar, there's a lot of wasted movement.

Speaking of wasted, all that vertical space.  Really, what is being saved here in terms of real estate with this decision?  It didn't make any sense in the leaked screenshot, and it makes less sense in actual use.  The advantage of Chrome when maximized is even more pronounced, there's no possibly to overshoot your tab vertically, as they're all on the top.  Getting used to that then going back to other browsers is a little obnoxious.

Another potential drawback - DirectWrite rendering.  Geez, with certain fonts on some sites it just looks...odd - like it's trying to be more typographically "correct" like MacOSX but just looks like a grayer version of Cleartype with its sometimes more defined, but more "computerized" look of fonts.  It can look better in spots (particularly for medium-sized fonts where Cleartype would not seem to anti-alias them at all), but it's really hit or miss.   Here are some comparisons (embedded images don't work here like 99% of other web forums):

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/3623/safarimediumtextrenderi.png

http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/2774/ie9defaultrendering.png

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/6/safarilighttextrenderin.png

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/6325/chromerendering.png

IE9 Default

On the plus size, very, very speedy.  Opening tabs now has no hesitation, sites pop up, scrolling is extremely smooth (Chrome really needs to get with the program here).  Really can't seem to bog it down.  Download manager -yes, yes, yes.

Very preliminary results so far obviously, but I can't say I'll navigate away from Chrome at this point.  Chrome still has the superior interface IMO, and while I really like the smooth scrolling, by the time Chrome7 hits they may just have that as well.

• User profile image
    jamie

ya im posting from firefox too...

over all i like the speed

but i do not think i can look at a CUT OFF back button....  that's enough to make me stop using it right there...

(im assuming it was designed this way - going behind the front display area...  - or im hoping i have a glitch

the buttons also look like bad - 1992 clip art...  wtf

- dont cut off the F/B buttons

- Leave them glass or something cool  ... not CURRENT

fast tho....

actually - the right 3 icons...   i guess we couldnt make those look like amazing 3d icons in colour - that do something when you mouse over them..?

or is this Wingdings look what youre after?

• User profile image
    vesuvius

NitzWalsh said:
    PerfectPhase said:
    *snip*

Ugh - hate the address bar on the left.  Two issues with it:

1) Reduces tab space.  This will really suck on netbooks.

2) I frequently re-use open tabs by selecting the tab, then quickly mousing down and clicking to highlight the address bar, then using autocomplete in chrome to resolve the link.  With IE9, now I'm moving the mouse all the way back to the left address bar, there's a lot of wasted movement.

Speaking of wasted, all that vertical space.  Really, what is being saved here in terms of real estate with this decision?  It didn't make any sense in the leaked screenshot, and it makes less sense in actual use.  The advantage of Chrome when maximized is even more pronounced, there's no possibly to overshoot your tab vertically, as they're all on the top.  Getting used to that then going back to other browsers is a little obnoxious.

Another potential drawback - DirectWrite rendering.  Geez, with certain fonts on some sites it just looks...odd - like it's trying to be more typographically "correct" like MacOSX but just looks like a grayer version of Cleartype with its sometimes more defined, but more "computerized" look of fonts.  It can look better in spots (particularly for medium-sized fonts where Cleartype would not seem to anti-alias them at all), but it's really hit or miss.   Here are some comparisons (embedded images don't work here like 99% of other web forums):

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/3623/safarimediumtextrenderi.png

http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/2774/ie9defaultrendering.png

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/6/safarilighttextrenderin.png

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/6325/chromerendering.png

IE9 Default

On the plus size, very, very speedy.  Opening tabs now has no hesitation, sites pop up, scrolling is extremely smooth (Chrome really needs to get with the program here).  Really can't seem to bog it down.  Download manager -yes, yes, yes.

Very preliminary results so far obviously, but I can't say I'll navigate away from Chrome at this point.  Chrome still has the superior interface IMO, and while I really like the smooth scrolling, by the time Chrome7 hits they may just have that as well.

Very good comparison with the font's, your are completely correct, the text rendering is very inconsistent, it is worth copying the URL's just to have a look if you are reading this post.

I have not used chrome that much since the first beta, so I cannot vouch for it being best, looks like I need to do some howework.

• User profile image
    DCMonkey

While I'm thinking about it, have they added the ability to select unlinked URL text and go to that address (like Chrome's "Go to...")? I use an accelerator in IE8 that mostly does the same thing but it has to go through the author's site to function (limitation of the accelerator API I guess) and it's been somewhat broken for a long while.

• User profile image
    Bas

Does this install next to IE8 or does it replace it entirely? Also has anyone found the keynote or whatever that live stream was of as an on demand video yet?

Also: why hasn't anybody come up with vertical tabs yet? What with wide screens more or less being the norm now you need that vertical space more than the horizontal space. Just put the row of tabs on the right (left for right-to-left reading folks), and you've got valuable vertical real estate saved for a few measly horizontal pixels. It could be the next browser revolution.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.