Coffeehouse Thread

12 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Windows Phone 7 Developer Tools -- did you get them yet?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Dr Herbie

I've just downloaded them -- so far seems the same as the Beta tools.

However, I was intrigued to find the Expression Blend 4 is on my machine again (I wan't sure if that was going to be included in the tools) -- and it says it's a fully licensed version and it doesn't say 'beta' anywhere.  I don't have time to investigate fully tonight (my wife's birthday), so it will have to wait until the morning.

Herbie

• User profile image
    vesuvius

I know the expression tools have been released as Expression for  Windows  Phone. Whether the XAML you create in it does not work in WPF or Silverlight remains to be seen, but I think there may be restrictions on how Visual Studio interacts with Expression solutions, if you use a version that is not part of this specific tools package.

I think Microsoft have finally realised that Expression should be part of Visual Studio (dev 11), and not an off the shelf product like Photoshop, because it works specifically with Visual Studio unlike Photoshop.

• User profile image
    Bas

Are the panorama and pivot controls in there?

• User profile image
    kettch

vesuvius said:

I know the expression tools have been released as Expression for  Windows  Phone. Whether the XAML you create in it does not work in WPF or Silverlight remains to be seen, but I think there may be restrictions on how Visual Studio interacts with Expression solutions, if you use a version that is not part of this specific tools package.

I think Microsoft have finally realised that Expression should be part of Visual Studio (dev 11), and not an off the shelf product like Photoshop, because it works specifically with Visual Studio unlike Photoshop.

The Gu said in his post that the solution files are completely compatible between VS and Blend. The XAML itself isn't any different. XAML is XAML is XAML. The only point where it will break would be on references between the different version of the framework: WPF, Silverlight, Phone.

• User profile image
    kettch

Bas said:

Are the panorama and pivot controls in there?

Yes! Big Smile

• User profile image
    dentaku

I tried installing the beta tools quite a while ago and it never was able to go all the way through the process. I ended up having to in-uninstall all the individual parts myself one at a time.

I wonder if it'll work now, or did doing that mess something up so that even this final version is not going to work?

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

yes, all the alphas and betas Wink

• User profile image
    dahat

Now to try to find some time to dig into these...

• User profile image
    PaoloM

I got them and installed on my main workstation at home. I really need to get a developer license to start deploying on my device...

• User profile image
    Dan

@dahat: Any WHS app coming? Smiley Smiley Smiley

• User profile image
    Patrick M

Starting to port my WebOS application to Windows Phone 7. It will be interesting to see which platform is better/easier/more interesting to develop on.

http://unnamedapps.com/sportscalendar

• User profile image
    dentaku

@Dr Herbie:

Well, the tools installed correctly this time. I was just looking at the new C9 using the emulator.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.