Coffeehouse Thread

23 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Thank You, Niners

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Charles

    Just felt like saying thank you to you all. Let's keep flying this plane.

    C

  • User profile image
    JoshRoss

    There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?

     

    -Airplane!

  • User profile image
    Charles

    JoshRoss said:

    There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?

     

    -Airplane!

    I don't know how to fly a plane, but  I can  speak Nive (not a typo... This is 9). Smiley

    C

     

    PS: Sven will be the pilot. Sven, take her upwards and then let's shoot straight for tropical Earth.

     

  • User profile image
    JoshRoss

    JoshRoss said:

    There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?

     

    -Airplane!

    It's funny that you ask that Josh. In fact, I had moved to Kalamazoo, in 2001 to learn how to fly. That didn't go so well, with September 11th and the subsequent events. After that, aviation didn't have the same appeal to me. To end this post with a positive note, I met my wife out there.

     

    -Josh

  • User profile image
    elmer

    Good evening, this is your captain speaking.

     

    As you may have noticed, we are currently experiencing some minor technical difficulties with all four of our engines.

     

    I just wanted to assure everyone on board that we have escalated this issue to priority-1 with our experts, and hope to have them all restarted shortly.

     

    In the meantime, sit back and relax, and I thank you for choosing to fly with us.

      

    **CLICK**

     

    “WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU’VE NEVER DONE THIS IN TRAINING ? WHAT THE F* DO WE PAY YOU IDIOTS FOR ?? YOU’RE GOING TO KILL US ALL... OH, F*, the intercom is still on...”

     

    **CLICK**

  • User profile image
    JoshRoss

    In my limited research of avionics, one of the things that I came across, that impressed the hell out of me, was a pilots ability to strictly adhere to the procedure of following a check list. Just imagine if programmers could come to an agreement as to what should be on a check list, for writing applications.

  • User profile image
    Charles

    elmer said:

    Good evening, this is your captain speaking.

     

    As you may have noticed, we are currently experiencing some minor technical difficulties with all four of our engines.

     

    I just wanted to assure everyone on board that we have escalated this issue to priority-1 with our experts, and hope to have them all restarted shortly.

     

    In the meantime, sit back and relax, and I thank you for choosing to fly with us.

      

    **CLICK**

     

    “WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU’VE NEVER DONE THIS IN TRAINING ? WHAT THE F* DO WE PAY YOU IDIOTS FOR ?? YOU’RE GOING TO KILL US ALL... OH, F*, the intercom is still on...”

     

    **CLICK**

    "Free drinks for all my friends!!!"

     

    We'll add Barfly to Airplane and sum a masterpiece! Smiley
    C

  • User profile image
    kettch

    JoshRoss said:

    In my limited research of avionics, one of the things that I came across, that impressed the hell out of me, was a pilots ability to strictly adhere to the procedure of following a check list. Just imagine if programmers could come to an agreement as to what should be on a check list, for writing applications.

    I don't fly, but I've found that strictly adhering to a checklist is useful in a variety of areas. If everybody knows that they must follow the checklist or risk being killed or injured (even if they aren't doing something dangerous, that's just the incentive to follow the checklist Smiley) then you never forget any step. You aren't tempted to go too fast and nothing gets missed. In the end everything is much smoother.

  • User profile image
    Ian2

    kettch said:
    JoshRoss said:
    *snip*

    I don't fly, but I've found that strictly adhering to a checklist is useful in a variety of areas. If everybody knows that they must follow the checklist or risk being killed or injured (even if they aren't doing something dangerous, that's just the incentive to follow the checklist Smiley) then you never forget any step. You aren't tempted to go too fast and nothing gets missed. In the end everything is much smoother.

    Like the checklist idea but am seat of the pants flyer myself.

  • User profile image
    Maddus Mattus

    Ian2 said:
    kettch said:
    *snip*

    Like the checklist idea but am seat of the pants flyer myself.

    My dad is a captain on a large airplane thingie,..

     

    Scariest moment in my life was the landing I witnessed from the thrid chair in the cockpit,..

  • User profile image
    Duncanma

    JoshRoss said:

    In my limited research of avionics, one of the things that I came across, that impressed the hell out of me, was a pilots ability to strictly adhere to the procedure of following a check list. Just imagine if programmers could come to an agreement as to what should be on a check list, for writing applications.

    The idea of following a checklist as a key to improved results or performance has been studied extensively and written about by this one guy... I read an interview with him once and I know he has a few books out on the subject.

     

    http://www.amazon.com/Checklist-Manifesto-How-Things-Right/dp/0805091742

  • User profile image
    Ian2

    Duncanma said:
    JoshRoss said:
    *snip*

    The idea of following a checklist as a key to improved results or performance has been studied extensively and written about by this one guy... I read an interview with him once and I know he has a few books out on the subject.

     

    http://www.amazon.com/Checklist-Manifesto-How-Things-Right/dp/0805091742

    If Programmers were pilots they would make the checklist up after they landed  (way too busy before & during the flight dude) .

     

     

    Wait, .. my boss is reading this?

  • User profile image
    vesuvius

    I would like to thank you and the 9 team, as well as the other niners for keeping this aeroplane headed in tropical directions. That I am a better developer since watching the plethora of development material et al is unquestionable. Thanks also to the people that (very speedily I might add) correct, help or fix issues for me and others.

  • User profile image
    GoddersUK

    elmer said:

    Good evening, this is your captain speaking.

     

    As you may have noticed, we are currently experiencing some minor technical difficulties with all four of our engines.

     

    I just wanted to assure everyone on board that we have escalated this issue to priority-1 with our experts, and hope to have them all restarted shortly.

     

    In the meantime, sit back and relax, and I thank you for choosing to fly with us.

      

    **CLICK**

     

    “WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU’VE NEVER DONE THIS IN TRAINING ? WHAT THE F* DO WE PAY YOU IDIOTS FOR ?? YOU’RE GOING TO KILL US ALL... OH, F*, the intercom is still on...”

     

    **CLICK**

    Reminded me of this real life incident:

     

    "Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem. All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control. I trust you are not in too much distress." 

     

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Airways_Flight_9 

  • User profile image
    Ion Todirel

    JoshRoss said:
    JoshRoss said:
    *snip*

    It's funny that you ask that Josh. In fact, I had moved to Kalamazoo, in 2001 to learn how to fly. That didn't go so well, with September 11th and the subsequent events. After that, aviation didn't have the same appeal to me. To end this post with a positive note, I met my wife out there.

     

    -Josh

    was that a reply addressed to you, by ...you, oh wait Big Smile

  • User profile image
    Sven Groot

    elmer said:

    Good evening, this is your captain speaking.

     

    As you may have noticed, we are currently experiencing some minor technical difficulties with all four of our engines.

     

    I just wanted to assure everyone on board that we have escalated this issue to priority-1 with our experts, and hope to have them all restarted shortly.

     

    In the meantime, sit back and relax, and I thank you for choosing to fly with us.

      

    **CLICK**

     

    “WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU’VE NEVER DONE THIS IN TRAINING ? WHAT THE F* DO WE PAY YOU IDIOTS FOR ?? YOU’RE GOING TO KILL US ALL... OH, F*, the intercom is still on...”

     

    **CLICK**

    As you may have noticed, we are currently experiencing some minor technical difficulties with all four of our engines.

    You were close. The below is an actual quote from the Captain of the famous British Airways Flight 9 that lost all four engines over Jakarta:

     

    "Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem. All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control. I trust you are not in too much distress."

     

    EDIT: In case you were wondering, they landed safely. The incident was caused because they unwittingly flew into a volcanic ash cloud (something which they didn't realize until after they had landed). The volcanic ash melted in the engines and attached to various surfaces causing the engines to surge and flame out. After descending out of the cloud, cooling of the engines caused the molten slag to break off the interior of the engines and the crew was able to restart the engines.

  • User profile image
    kettch

    , Ian2 wrote

    Duncanma said:
    JoshRoss said:
    *snip*

    The idea of following a checklist as a key to improved results or performance has been studied extensively and written about by this one guy... I read an interview with him once and I know he has a few books out on the subject.

     

    http://www.amazon.com/Checklist-Manifesto-How-Things-Right/dp/0805091742

    If Programmers were pilots they would make the checklist up after they landed  (way too busy before & during the flight dude) .

     

     

    Wait, .. my boss is reading this?

    What about pushing code to the production environment mid flight? Smiley

  • User profile image
    exoteric

    , kettch wrote

    , Ian2 wrote

    Duncanma said:
    JoshRoss said:
    *snip*

    The idea of following a checklist as a key to improved results or performance has been studied extensively and written about by this one guy... I read an interview with him once and I know he has a few books out on the subject.

     

    http://www.amazon.com/Checklist-Manifesto-How-Things-Right/dp/0805091742

    If Programmers were pilots they would make the checklist up after they landed  (way too busy before & during the flight dude) .

     

     

    Wait, .. my boss is reading this?

    What about pushing code to the production environment mid flight? Smiley

    Let's just say that it will take the term "crash" to whole new, deep levels.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.