Coffeehouse Thread

11 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Necro Posts

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    elmer

How hard would it be ?

If the last post of a thread is more than xxx months old, the thread is marked as read-only.

• User profile image
    JoshRoss

I think that is a feature in Rev9.

EDIT:

Or at least I thought it was.  I just woke-up a dead thread, without issue on Rev9.

• User profile image
    Charles

JoshRoss said:

I think that is a feature in Rev9.

EDIT:

Or at least I thought it was.  I just woke-up a dead thread, without issue on Rev9.

Why is thread resurrection such a big deal? Sometimes it makes perfect sense to revive an old thread if the thread's topic makes sense in current context. There are many threads that could readily come back from the dead.

C

• User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

Charles said:
    JoshRoss said:
    *snip*

Why is thread resurrection such a big deal? Sometimes it makes perfect sense to revive an old thread if the thread's topic makes sense in current context. There are many threads that could readily come back from the dead.

C

It makes a lot of sense especially in the Tech Off forum, where someone might come up with a new answer to a problem posed in an old thread

• User profile image
    rhm

Charles said:
    JoshRoss said:
    *snip*

C

I think "sometimes" is the key word there. 99% of the time when I see these it's someone who's found the thread via a google search and they must not look at the date and still think the thread is still active because the alternative is that they think their comment is so insightful it's worth bumping a thread from 2006. Except it never is and so these thread bumps are just as annoying as spam.

I maintain, as I have done in the many threads on this subject in the feedback forum, that if someone has something useful to say they can create a new thread and link to the old one if necessary. I'm told that that might put people off posting but that really is the whole point - think of it as rhm's razor: if it's not worth creating a new thread, it's not worth bumping an old one either.

If you're not going to prevent necro-bumps, there are ways it could be made less annoying:

• Colour old threads differently in the forum view or add a distinctive icon.
    • When there is more than 'x' days betwee posts in the thread, insert some kind of graphic between posts so it's visually obvious where the bump took place.
    • Warn people when they are replying to an old thread. Based on thread start date because often people followup a necro-bump without realising. Disable warning when there are more than 'y' recent posts to avoid annoyance with a small number of legitimate long-running threads.

• User profile image
    spivonious

I like how AVS Forum handles necro-threads. When you reply, they force you to check a box confirming that you know the thread if XXX days old. It's a simple solution, and it works great.

They also run a search based on your thread title when you begin writing a new thread to try to help cut down on duplicate topics.

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

Charles said:
    JoshRoss said:
    *snip*

C

Not an answer to your question, but how about if you try to comment on a thread older than XX months you hold (queue) the post(s) for N hrs and immediately send a mail to the moderators, if moderators do not take any actions, the post will be shown and the thread will be resurrected in N hrs, if the moderators takes action, the user will be notified and the thread won't be resurrected? Opt-out in other words. At least it would be a failsafe, which there isn't right now.

• User profile image
    magicalclick

I have complaint this for years. Either to lock the thread or show something Necro icon. But, many niner "againsted" it, similar to how they against IE download manager.

But, realistically speaking. The more you restrict necro guys, the closer they look legilimate. If you put a 1 month not yet responded thread with a necro icon to warn people, necro guy will just necro 2 weeks old or 3 weeks old not yet responded thread. In that case, it is much harder for people to know whether they are necro or not.

Leaving WM on 5/2018 if no apps, no dedicated billboards where I drive, no Store name.
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

I agree it would be nice to distinguish necro threads from new ones, but I'd do more than just add an icon.

Perhaps some text in the thread list that says something like "Restarted x days ago", and when you go to the thread, it would have the old posts of the thread collapsed and only show when you click on some "old posts" button to uncollapse them. Or simply all
    of the old posts that new posters aren't responding to.

• User profile image
    elmer
  • User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

@elmer:

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.