Coffeehouse Thread

9 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Error: Invalid use of 'rand' within a function.

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    pierlove

Any assistance with this would be appreciated.

http://prodevstudios.com/blog/archive/2004/05/05.aspx

Thanks - JB.

• User profile image
    object88

An MSDN example show RAND being used like this:

SELECT RAND()

So maybe you need to do soemthing like

SELECT @random_number (SELECT RAND())

And then apply @random_number in the ROUND function.

I haven't tried this, so besure to get yourself a grain of salt with this "advice".  Smiley

• User profile image
    pierlove

object88 wrote:

I haven't tried this, so besure to get yourself a grain of salt with this "advice".  Smiley

Thanks for your post, however this produces the same error when executed within a Function.

-JB.

• User profile image
    bitmask

There are ways around this, for instance, you could create a view to return SELECT RAND(), and SELECT from the view in your UDF.

But, just remember SQL is a set based language. Making a non-deterministic function can be a scalability problem as SQL will need to reevaluate the function for each row in a a SELECT, UPDATE, DELETE.

• User profile image
    pierlove

bitmask wrote:

But, just remember SQL is a set based language. Making a non-deterministic function can be a scalability problem as SQL will need to reevaluate the function for each row in a a SELECT, UPDATE, DELETE.

bitmask, thanks.  I agree. And that will not do.
    There has to be a way to use Rand() in a UDF that is valid. Hence the error:

Invalid use of 'rand' within a function.

The error implies a valid use would (theoretically) exist.

-JB

• User profile image
    pierlove

SOURCE:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/createdb/cm_8_des_08_460j.asp

The number of times that a function specified in a query is actually executed can vary between execution plans built by the optimizer. An example is a function invoked by a subquery in a WHERE clause. The number of times the subquery and its function is executed can vary with different access paths chosen by the optimizer.

Built-in functions that can return different data on each call are not allowed in user-defined functions. The built-in functions not allowed in user-defined functions are:

@@CONNECTIONS @@PACK_SENT GETDATE
    @@CPU_BUSY @@PACKET_ERRORS GetUTCDate
    @@IDLE @@TIMETICKS NEWID
    @@IO_BUSY @@TOTAL_ERRORS RAND
    @@MAX_CONNECTIONS @@TOTAL_READ TEXTPTR
    @@PACK_RECEIVED @@TOTAL_WRITE  

BUMMER!
  • User profile image
    Bryn Waibel

I don't believe that use of Rand is ever allowed inside a UDF. Why not just add a paramter to the UDF?

CREATE FUNCTION [dbo].[RandomDate]
    (@rand float)

select [dbo].[RandomDate]( rand() )

-Bryn

• User profile image
    pierlove

Excellent!   Thank you! Bryn.

That works great, I will post solution to my blog.

Thanks again.  - JB

• User profile image
    bitmask

Just be aware if you do:

UPDATE MyTAble
        SET MyNumber = SELECT dbo.RandomDate(RAND())

Then every row updated will have the same random date.

If you need a random date for every row (hopefully you don't, or this is a one time run), you can use a view as I suggested earlier:

CREATE VIEW RandomNumber
      AS
        SELECT RAND() AS number

Then inside of your UDF:

SELECT number FROM RandomNumber

will give you a random number. Just remember the caveats from my first post.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.