Coffeehouse Thread

42 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

IE7 wishlist that MS will not add but should

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    ACT10Npack

I'm looking forward for Internet Explorer 7 because there are a lot of things that Microsoft needs to update the browser like better sercuity, full support for CSS, and others. But a like all good products there are some stuff that MS knows people want but for some reason like time, working on other projects, or Bill Gate swimming in a pool of 100 dollar bucks. There are some stuff that most of us want or talk about what we need that they will not built it in to the program.

What are some addons that Microsoft will not addon to IE7 but we think they should?

I have a couple that will not add on, color coding in notepad when you want to see the source code of the page. Second is download manager that other programs has which is very basic but still IE7 needs to have one. A built in spell check would be really nice to have when in a message board like this(understand why I added this). RSS manager and viewer, so that I or anyone that use RSS can view the content without going to a program that does it. I know your going to say most of this stuff is already made by a third person party. But why do I have to install a program that will mess up my IE in the long run when I can use Firefox instead.

• User profile image
    MikeGoatly

Well, I'm surprised you didn't mention standards! Wink

To be honest the list of things that you mentioned are less important to me than the support of standards.  I know it's been said time and time again, but it would be really useful to be able to code once and run on any browser.

Source Code Colouring
    If you use a notepad replacement such as Notepad++ you'll get coloured source code, and a pretty useful editor to boot.

Others
    Although I can understand the desire for the other items, I think that the IE team should focus more on the core of IE, rather than writing add-ons that others could produce.

• User profile image
    ZippyV

It's not IE that displays the sourcecode. If you want to see it colored you can open it with any application that supports it (like vs.net).

My request: A downloadmanager that can download 1 file using multiple connections (to different websites).

• User profile image
    Manip

If I hear about IE's CSS support once more I think I'm going to scream... YOU WANT FULL CSS, THEY GET IT, YOU WANT STANDARDS SUPPORTED, THEY GET IT, YOU WANT PNG TO BE RENDERED CORRECTLY, THEY GET IT... STOP WITH THE SAME REQUESTS OVER AND OVER! IE 7 IS COMING!

• User profile image
    wkempf

ACT10Npack wrote:
    I know your going to say most of this stuff is already made by a third person party. But why do I have to install a program that will mess up my IE in the long run when I can use Firefox instead.

Several of the things you mention are not available with Firefox with out installing a third party plugin.  Personally, I don't want MS to bloat IE with a lot of these features.  One of the draws of Firefox is that the install is lean and mean, but you can extend the installed application with plugins.  MS could make creating certain types of plugins easier, and they definately should create a web site to post and install plugins, but that's about all I'll give you for the features you've requested.

• User profile image
    wkempf

Manip wrote:
    If I hear about IE's CSS support once more I think I'm going to scream... YOU WANT FULL CSS, THEY GET IT, YOU WANT STANDARDS SUPPORTED, THEY GET IT, YOU WANT PNG TO BE RENDERED CORRECTLY, THEY GET IT... STOP WITH THE SAME REQUESTS OVER AND OVER! IE 7 IS COMING!

Shout all that you want, but MS has not answered the question, and in fact they have implied that they WON'T IMPLEMENT FULL STANDARDS DESPITE THE WISHES OF THEIR CUSTOMERS!
    I hope that I'm wrong, but this is certainly the impression they've left the community with thier postings to the IE Blog.  The community is understandably upset by this, so if you're tired of hearing them bringing this subject up again and again, then MS should indicate that they are truly listening.

• User profile image
    Rossj

wkempf wrote:
    Manip wrote: YOU WANT FULL CSS, THEY GET IT, YOU WANT STANDARDS SUPPORTED, THEY GET IT, YOU WANT PNG TO BE RENDERED CORRECTLY, THEY GET IT... STOP WITH THE SAME REQUESTS OVER AND OVER! IE 7 IS COMING!

WON'T IMPLEMENT FULL STANDARDS DESPITE THE WISHES OF THEIR CUSTOMERS!

Stop shouting you two.

• User profile image
    MikeGoatly

Manip wrote:
    If I hear about IE's CSS support once more I think I'm going to scream...

Looks like it didn't take one more time... 

• User profile image
    Manip

"Full Standards" are impossible, least of all because standards sometimes contradict or overlap one another.

Let me know when Firefox has "full standards" support.

• User profile image
    wkempf

Manip wrote:
    "Full Standards" are impossible, least of all because standards sometimes contradict or overlap one another.

Let me know when Firefox has "full standards" support.

Hogwash.  Name something in the standard that's contradictory.

I'll grant you that no other browser is fully standards compliant, however.  But why should MS not be expected to be better than their competition?

• User profile image
    sbc

Passing the Acid2 test should be good enough for most. Safari is getting really close to passing. Check the progress via Surfin' Safari. It only needs to work in standards mode (i.e. document has a doctype), quirks mode doesn't need to.

Passing this should not break existing pages, as the CSS properties being tested aren't in common use (due to IE not supporting them).

• User profile image
    MisterDonut

Wow. I wish people would quit complaining. Really, now.

If people want a standards based browser, there are others to choose from: Firefox, Safari, etc. If you don't care about certain standards, keep using IE.

Sheesh. Quit complaining.

• User profile image
    Manip

Obviously I'm sick of reading it too... They are frigging working on a new IE, wait until THAT is released before you continue your bitching... And for the love of god search the forums FIRST!

• User profile image
    PinkF

MisterDonut wrote:

Wow. I wish people would quit complaining. Really, now.

If people want a standards based browser, there are others to choose from: Firefox, Safari, etc. If you don't care about certain standards, keep using IE.

Sheesh. Quit complaining.

The more advanced users, and web-developers are not the problem. The problem is designing a standard-compliant site since most users are not aware of other browsers than the one coming with the OS, in most cases Internet Explorer.

• User profile image
    wkempf

Manip wrote:
    Obviously I'm sick of reading it too... They are frigging working on a new IE, wait until THAT is released before you continue your bitching... And for the love of god search the forums FIRST!

I can understand you being tired of hearing about it, but you have the option to not read the posts.  Making the message loud and clear to MS is the only way they will step up and do the right thing.  They've done so before, and for the same reasons... the user base complained very loudly and for a very long time about the standards compliance of their C++ compiler before MS addressed the issue (and in the process created one of the most standards compliant of available compilers).

This is not MS bashing. I don't tolerate that.  But standards are important, and MS needs to address the issue openly and fully.  In the case of web standards, they aren't currently doing that, and need to be told that this won't be tolerated.

• User profile image
    harumscarum

Has anyone heard from Pete? Re has been looking for him everywhere. For some reason on this topic they alway seem to pop up together.

• User profile image
    MisterDonut

PinkF wrote:

The more advanced users, and web-developers are not the problem. The problem is designing a standard-compliant site since most users are not aware of other browsers than the one coming with the OS, in most cases Internet Explorer.

I have written pages for the web and haven't run into any issues. Sure, I might not be cutting edge, but it works. Maybe there's something special in CSS 2.0 that can't be done in HTML code or CSS 1.0. I don't know, maybe someone can elaborate for me and explain why it is so important.

What I don't understand is that if a bunch of people, outside of Microsoft, come up with a standard, why do they expect Microsoft to follow it? If it's not legislated, it's optional.

• User profile image
    wkempf

MisterDonut wrote:
    What I don't understand is that if a bunch of people, outside of Microsoft, come up with a standard, why do they expect Microsoft to follow it? If it's not legislated, it's optional.

A) What's the point of a standard is it's not followed?
    B) MS participated in the process of creating the standard that they are failing to follow.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.