Coffeehouse Thread

42 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

IE7 wishlist that MS will not add but should

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Manip

DMassy wrote:
    Clearly the priority for key software like Internet Explorer is to ensure that the release is secure, robust and reliable.

And has good loading times Wink

• User profile image
    DMassy

Manip wrote:
    DMassy wrote: Clearly the priority for key software like Internet Explorer is to ensure that the release is secure, robust and reliable.

And has good loading times

Yes. Performance is something that is also important and part of the requirements of being a good browser!

• User profile image
    Tom Malone

As the browser war seems to be back on, does this mean that ms will have to release IE more frequently, to stay competitive with firefox/opera.

Can an IE team member explain why they didn't incoperate the new web standards into IE, or was it just about lock in? and if there was a good reason, why didn't ms push for their own concept as a standard. Why can't html be like xml and web services.

Tom

• User profile image
    DMassy

Tom Malone wrote:
    As the browser war seems to be back on, does this mean that ms will have to release IE more frequently, to stay competitive with firefox/opera.

Can an IE team member explain why they didn't incoperate the new web standards into IE, or was it just about lock in? and if there was a good reason, why didn't ms push for their own concept as a standard. Why can't html be like xml and web services.

Tom

Tom,
    You can certainly expect to see development of Internet Explorer beyond IE7. It's obviously too early to discuss details but the team is committed long term to Internet Explorer continuing to develop as a part of Windows.
    When we released IE6 we completed full support of CSS1 and parts of CSS2, then passing the CSS1 test suite from the W3C. Since then issues with some aspects of our implementation have clearly come to light and we hope to address these as we move forward in order that developers can rely on a consistent set of functionality that works across different browsers. Some things may take more time to deliver than other things but that is true of any software project.
    As I said before, we think IE7 is going to rock!

Thanks
    -Dave

• User profile image
    Tom Malone

Dave brilliant I look foward to IE7.

Thanks

Tom

• User profile image
    ZippyV

Yeah, I think a lot of users of IE got fed up because of the support after the release of IE 6. With the release of IE7, I hope we won't have to hear the reason Bruce gave us "we don't fix anything in the rendering behavior unless it's a show-stopping/security bug" again.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.