Coffeehouse Thread

25 posts

Best SLR Digital Camera?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jamie

for anyone who remembers - i recently LOST my canon A80 (5mg pix) camera at the beach

so ive been looking for the best replacement - and it seems its coming down to an SLR - either Nikon D70 (6mg) or Canon Rebel XT (8mg)

they are both just below the Pro cameras - but better than mopst of the highend consumer cameras

anyone here have either camera, no someone with one? no about them?

Im leaning canon for the 8mg - and it costs a tad less

• User profile image
    Minh

I have the 6 Mega pixels Rebel, and I like it a lot. But I learned that the lens is SO important also. I've given up my zoom lens for a 50mm one (and cheap) that takes much better pictures. Who needs zoom when there's Photoshop?

• User profile image
    jamie

2 weeks before i lost my a80 - i had bought the zoom lens for it (go figure)   digital zoom is horrid - so i wanted to be able to zoom in even closer than the camera did

funny thing was - the lens obsured the picture through the view finder - it blocked half of what you were taking - your suppose to use the video part at back to take shot

i dont like shooting that way - so it was a joke
    ( "WARNING: This lens only works if you hold camera 3 feet away from your face" haha)

its a "zoom" lens - youd think theyd no you may want to have a super clear view in the finder - not holding your arms out wavering in front of your face

does yours make you do that?

• User profile image
    amotif

I’m not familiar with the Rebel XT—how many of the Canon lenses can it use?

I recently got a Nikon D70 and am pretty pleased with it. I already had some decent glass for another Nikon body, and this weighed in my choice. Do you already have lenses to fit one or the other? Are you concerned about availability of lenses?

I’m not sure what sort of day at the beach you expect of your cameras. The SLR’s ability to change lenses is also a liability when it comes to keeping out grit and whatnot.

You might check reviews on photo.net and other photography sites. I would guess that the kit lens on the Canon is about the same quality as that in the Nikon kit, but you might check into it if you’re not a big nut for buying lenses. With either body the quality of lens will be important.

Sorry, that's more questions than answers, but those are the questions I asked of myself. Smiley

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

I had a canon s50 last year and I loved it.  My only issue was it was small and dense.  I don't know of any other way to describe it, but it constantly felt like it would fall out of my hands.  It eventually did fall out of my friends hands and while it survived the fall, the case was permanently warped.

Excellent photos, though!

• User profile image
    jamie

amotif wrote:

I’m not sure what sort of day at the beach you expect of your cameras.

haha - im in canada remember - day at the beach means taking some shots of cool ice formations

..didnt mean to sound like david lee roth california girls  Wink

• User profile image
    Minh

jamie wrote:
    digital zoom is horrid
    Yes, yes. You'd never want to use digital zoom. My camcorder has it, too, but is never turned on.

jamie wrote:

funny thing was - the lens obsured the picture through the view finder - it blocked half of what you were taking - your suppose to use the video part at back to take shot
    Ha ha, I never could afford a lens big enough to obscure my viewfinder. Wait, a minute, SLRs get their viewfinder image directly from the lens, so you don't have that problem. Plus, with the Digital Rebel (6MP), you don't have an option to use the LCD to preview. Kills too much battery that way.

jamie wrote:
    does yours make you do that?
    SLR doesn't have that problem (see above or below).

The image “<a href=http://www.photozone.de/3Technology/mtf/ttl2.gif” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors." src="http://www.photozone.de/3Technology/mtf/ttl2.gif">

• User profile image
    Minh

amotif wrote:
    I’m not familiar with the Rebel XT—how many of the Canon lenses can it use?
    It can use all of Canon EF lenses. Although, there are specialized EF-S lenses that are made especially for the digital CCDs. Supposed to direct more light towards the edges, but I can't really afford it -- and I'm not expert enough to care.

• User profile image
    jamie

ScanIAm wrote:
    I had a canon s50 last year and I loved it.  My only issue was it was small and dense.  I don't know of any other way to describe it, but it constantly felt like it would fall out of my hands.  It eventually did fall out of my friends hands and while it survived the fall, the case was permanently warped.

Excellent photos, though!

i loved my last canon too

here's some stuff i took in newfoundland ( or a "best of" here * yes i used quark to layout that - mac app or no mac app. Q is great for books and mags)

..i confess to being somewhat seduced by the cool factor of saying "i have a NIKON"  ..but i like canon and heck 8meg/6meg   its come down to 2 megs or ego brand haha

ps minh - do you have any pics online you took using yours ( which is pretty close to new one) that are full size - biggest res?

ive seen the "sample"shots (by pro's usually) - id rather just see how it takes normal shots

• User profile image
    Minh

As long as we're sharing, here are mine:

Gallery 1
    Gallery 2
    Gallery 3

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

Nice photos! 

• User profile image
    Minh

jamie wrote:
    ps minh - do you have any pics online you took using yours ( which is pretty close to new one) that are full size - biggest res?

Sure. Here's one that's unmodified, but using the camera's JPG compression.

http://www.middaysoftware.com/MinhsBlogs/directgallery/poker.JPG

It's 2.6 MB. Most of the "pro" shot you see are uncompressed, and are very very large in bytes, but same resolution as mine.

• User profile image
    Minh

ScanIAm wrote:
    Nice photos! 
    If that was for me, then, Thanks. Smiley

• User profile image
    jamie

Minh wrote:
    jamie wrote: ps minh - do you have any pics online you took using yours ( which is pretty close to new one) that are full size - biggest res?

Sure. Here's one that's unmodified, but using the camera's JPG compression.

http://www.middaysoftware.com/MinhsBlogs/directgallery/poker.JPG

It's 2.6 MB. Most of the "pro" shot you see are uncompressed, and are very very large in bytes, but same resolution as mine.

wow that looks great - thats SLR at work right there - the sharp forground and faded "pro" back

cant WAIT!

• User profile image
    rhm

I'd go for the new 8mpix Canon, but I wouldn't bother getting the kit that includes the lens (unless you're short of money) because it's not very good. Nikon do make some more affordable lenses now, but you can also buy lenses for Canons make by Sigma which are just as good. Bear in mind (although you probably know this if you've read any reviews) that the CMOS image sensor is smaller than a 35mm film frame. In the case of the Canon it's what they call APS-C size which is 0.625 the size. So when you compare focal lengths of lenses you multiple by the inverse (1.6) to get the effective focal length.

• User profile image
    GeoffC

I recently had the same choice (between the Nikon and the Canon) and went for the Canon. At the time, only the Rebel (known here as the 300D) was available. The day after I bought it, Canon announced the Rebel XT (350D). Sigh.

Like Minh says, with an SLR, the lenses are important (I'd actually say more important), and one of the factors that swayed me was the range of lenses available from Canon. Since getting the camera, I've ditched the lens that came with it (the closest thing to cheap and nasty compared with other lenses in their range) and now have three lenses to cover my needs - two zoom lenses covering from 17mm to 200mm and a fixed 85mm lens for portrait photography.

A good web site for reviews of Canon stuff is http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Default.aspx

I'm very pleased with the camera.

• User profile image
    jamie

GOT IT!  woohoo

* i hope youre all not sick of mazie... haha

went for the canon - thanks everyone for the tips/advice

• User profile image
    jamie

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.