Coffeehouse Thread

10 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Hey, hey 16k - We bought it to help with your homework

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jeffsand

Some nostalgia for a Friday afternoon, "It made a generation who can code".   Hey, hey 16k.

• User profile image
    Pezz

I love that song and am no addicted. It motivated me to track down my old Tandy 1000ex and Tandy TRS-80. I still have my old atari systems and apple2. But now im on a hunt to find all my old games and systems.

The scary thing. I remember playing almost every game they talk about. Jetpack Rocked.

If anyone knows of any good resources for the Tandy 1000 EX, like bootup disks and games. Please feel free to contact me and let me know.

• User profile image
    lars

Very catchy! Jet Set Willy. That was a great game!
    Good old uncle Clive. Check out Planet Sinclair

I feel horribly old when talking to someone and I mention VIC20 - and noone knows what it is. Just to find out that they've never seen windows without a start button. And Amiga is something they've only heard about. And I think it matters. If someone never have seen a computer without Windows, I understand why they get so excited about Linux. It's new - it's fresh - it let's you "change stuff". For me Unix and derivatives represent old 70s thinking. It's old and boring.

In the 8-bit days every application had its own file format. And there were atleast 10 different "platforms". If you wanted to play the same game as the kid next door, you'd have to have the same type of computer he had. Today, it runs on windows. Period. Praise the lord! You send me a document - chances are that it is DOC, or PDF. A picture; GIF or JPG. Easy as pie.

In some ways it's bad that one company has 95% market share. In some ways it just rules!

/Lars (old fart)

• User profile image
    Loadsgood

Hey any of you guys have heard of Pacmanhattan? Its where a bunch of guys run around Manhattan Looking like pacman and the ghosts. Usin wifi connections and stuff its pretty cool when you think about it.

www.pacmanhattan.com

• User profile image
    pun15her

They were the good old days, if only thay made games that were as playable, I still have my old Atari ST and a couple of hundred 720k disks full of classics!

p.s. except for Amigas Wink

• User profile image
    paulius

Nice flash movie. Althought I never played these old 16k games.

• User profile image
    Rossj

pun15her wrote:
    They were the good old days, if only thay made games that were as playable, I still have my old Atari ST and a couple of hundred 720k disks full of classics!

p.s. except for Amigas Wink
    www.remakes.org is a good source of remakes of old games Smiley

• User profile image
    VS4LIFE

I have, believe it or not, A Commadore 64 in perfect working order, with it I also have it's 5.25 boot disk!

• User profile image
    rhm

The first time I heard this song it was being performed live by it's author - Mark Hibbert (who was going out with a friend of mine at the time). I remarked to him afterwards that I never thought I'd ever hear the phrase "old school rampacks were much better".

I'm surprised any Americans get the references and most of it relates to Sinclair Spectrums and it's games as well as other 8-bits that didn't cross the Atlantic much.

Anyway, it did indeed make a generation who could code. For some definition of 'code' Smiley

• User profile image
    Tensor

for n = 0 to 2
     those were the days
    next n

comedy genius Smiley

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.