Coffeehouse Thread

25 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

WinHec keynote video now posted

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    scobleizer

It's not a Channel 9 video, but the keynote video from WinHec 2005 is pretty cool nonetheless (it's available now on Bill Gates' video page). You can hear Bill Gates correcting the record, showing off 64-bit Windows, and get a demo of Longhorn.

Video length: 01:42:46.

• User profile image
    Manip

Call me hard to please if you like but I've been looking at a graphic now for 3.5++min's and listening to very poor classical music... Am I missing something?

Edit: Maybe I should pay more attention to what the
    graphic is telling me... Why do they even host this
    graphic? What is the point? And when exactly is
    "noon"? It is 2am on the 26th here, so they should be
    more precise about things like times.

• User profile image
    Manip

You *sure* you aren't just download 80mb of graphic?

• User profile image
    Manip

What MMS link are you using?

PS - *YET ANOTHER* Linux / Windows app with no concept of the common controls open/close dialog and no helpful information anywhere... YAY

• User profile image
    Manip

I get a assertion -> null error and the thing crashes..

• User profile image
    Manip

Dont't waste your time, the apps a POS even if it was built correctly...

Why is it no Linux programmer ever gets the concept of being *LOCAL PLATFORM FRIENDLY*. I wouldn't write a Mac app and have my own menu, I'd use the Mac Menu thingy -- it is simply a matter of looking at a few apps on the platform and figuring out how things should look and how they should feel.

I just *HAVE* to know why they (via the GDK+ framework) had to reinvent the wheel instead of just writing a wrapper around local elements that have been around since Windows 98...

I think their thought process was "Well it should look the same on Linux and on Windows" -- which, frankly is just plain wrong. Completely wrong. Your users will get more missed about it not being local system friendly than they would if they had to learn it twice because of each platform (Which you'd assume wouldn't be too hard as they should know the platforms anyway).

• User profile image
    HellSnoopy

Gibson sponsoring Winhec ? What the hecK ? Big Smile

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

scobleizer wrote:
    It's not a Channel 9 video, but the keynote video from WinHec 2005 is pretty cool nonetheless (it's available now on Bill Gates' video page). You can hear Bill Gates correcting the record, showing off 64-bit Windows, and get a demo of Longhorn.

Video length: 01:42:46.

Hey Scoble, are you guys going to offer a download of it?

• User profile image
    scobleizer

Sorry, I'm not sure I can get it for download. I'll try.

• User profile image
    ZippyV

Cool, you can see the uncut version of the CES keynote too.

• User profile image
    raptor3676

Hi, Beer28

For those of us that can't install that application (Domain Policy) is it possible that you post the video somewhere so we can download it?

• User profile image
    littleguru

scobleizer wrote:
    Sorry, I'm not sure I can get it for download. I'll try.

Please ask bill. he should give it to download the the c9 community.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Why would I want to download it? If you're on a slow connection I can understand, but claiming that "it's much better than watching with buffering" is not true if you've got a decent connection. I can either download the whole thing which would take around 4 or 5 minutes I guess depending on the server, or watch it streaming right now. I've just watched the whole thing, it hasn't buffered once that I could tell, not even at the beginning, I started playing instantly and kept doing that until the end. And I was downloading stuff at the same time too.

Interesting video. I'm kinda doubtful on the greatest thing since sliced bread stuff for x64, yes it's more performant, I believe you, move on please?

The Longhorn stuff looks cool. As they said, the real end-user stuff isn't really in there yet, so I'm looking forward to seeing it evolve. I wonder what they mean by 'locked down' for stuff like the driver model. If they mean 'set in stone, won't change from now till RTM' that would be a first for MS, and a definite improvement from the way it was before.

• User profile image
    Arran

Very good video.

I look forward to channel9 getting some more Longhorn videos out the door.

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

Comment removed at user's request.

• User profile image
    sc00ter

guys.. if you play the video with WMP, it appears /documents and settings/[username]/Local Settings/Temporary Internet Files/winhec*.dat..

i got it here. 232 megs.

just tried to play the .dat file with wmp and it worked. Smiley

• User profile image
    Spitfire15

Wow I just learned something. Allow 62,000 connections and breaking socket limits on MSN Messenger. Meaning, less CPU Usage.

• User profile image
    Larsenal

The textbox in the Start bar in Longhorn is really sweet.  My "All Programs" has so many items.  It will be nice to just type in the name instead of having to find it visually.

Does anyone know if this is merely a filter for All Programs or if you can run some simple shell commands too?

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.