Coffeehouse Thread

9 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Impressive, Very Impressive....

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    rjdohnert

Of course that was said in my best Darth Vader voice over.  what Im talking about is the Bill Gates keynote.  All the techs at work and I just got done watching the Keynote.  Very cools stuff, what we saw here today in terms of search and organization do indeed surpass Tigers capabilities.  I of coure will wait for further releases to release final judgement but it seems like you guys are on the right track.  And it seems you are listening to customers with the One binary.  Good job so far guys.

• User profile image
    Pantone285U

Wow, they are doing Smart Folders in Longhorn...

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/spotlight/

• User profile image
    Rossj

I hope I get to the Longhorn video soon, no offense to Mr G but he is not a very entertaining presenter.

Initial thoughts on first 5 minutes of Shanen's demo. I saw all of this on the WWDC stream 2 or 3 years ago for OSX.

Folder view/metadata view  is very nice though Smiley

• User profile image
    Ian

I'm sorry, but shouldn't that be impressive, "Most" impressive?

C'mon you guys, are we true geeks here or what?, please don't let the side down!

• User profile image
    androidi

The winhec build I just am installing certainly seem to lack the image xcopy setup or whatever Bill meant in the keynote. "This process may take an hour to finish" reads on the screen now, and the setup already ran like 15-20 minutes before this screen came up.

In the image setup the procedure hopefully is like: Arrange bits in a good order on the image, compress the image on DVD. When setup runs, it'll just defrag a contiguous free space on the disk, uncompress the image to the contiguous space and sequentially load everything to memory - identifying the devices (drivers were the head of the image) can be done in background while the rest of the OS is still moving to the disk. When done - thats all there's to it. Whole windows setup took like 30 seconds if you had a fast DVD drive or network installation.

• User profile image
    TomasDeml

Pantone285U wrote:

Smart folders appeared before in MS Office Outlook 2k3...

• User profile image
    Rossj

TomasDeml wrote:
    Pantone285U wrote:

And in iTunes. But let's not play this game, it isn't constructive.

• User profile image
    Cider

The point was, this was a presentation to a Hardware Engineering conference.  The actual features shown don't actually matter apart from that context.

As such, Smart folders or the first view of (I'm guessing, a draft of) Aero is more about saying:  "in the Longhorn timeframe, if you are producing hardware or components this is the sort of things you should be aiming at" - as such GPUs that have the ability to do Aero Glass, displays capable of displaying those Smart Folder icons comfortably, etc etc etc.

I wouldn't take anything from the features apart from that.

Anyway, I was more impressed by the notion of auxillary displays and that Ultramobile 2007 device.  The latter of those, especially, is really the right direction for personal computing devices to be going.  Can we also have a wi-fi electronic Post-It pad?

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

Rossj wrote:
    TomasDeml wrote:
    Pantone285U wrote:

And in iTunes. But let's not play this game, it isn't constructive.

Well lets just go one step further, Blinx had Smart Folders before Apple and before anyone else did.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.