Coffeehouse Thread

34 posts

The Sasser Worm!

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Steve411

    This may sound strange, but i just love that worm! Makes you think on more advanced ways as to how to stop it from accuring/re-accuring..
      Pushes you past the limits!

  • User profile image
    eagle

    Wurm von der Wümme

    Ein 18-Jähriger aus Norddeutschland soll den Computerschädling” "Sasser" programmiert haben, der weltweit Millionenschäden anrichtete. Tödlich war Sasser nicht für die Computer. Er sorgte aber dafür, dass Programme immer wieder neu starteten und die Rechner so blockierten.

    Der Wurm braucht drei Dinge zu leben: ein Programmierer, es zu schaffen, ein *, es zu liefern, und ein Idiot, es zu empfangen.

  • User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

    eagle wrote:
    Wurm von der Wümme

    Ein 18-Jähriger aus Norddeutschland soll den Computerschädling” "Sasser" programmiert haben, der weltweit Millionenschäden anrichtete. Tödlich war Sasser nicht für die Computer. Er sorgte aber dafür, dass Programme immer wieder neu starteten und die Rechner so blockierten.

    Der Wurm braucht drei Dinge zu leben: ein Programmierer, es zu schaffen, ein *, es zu liefern, und ein Idiot, es zu empfangen.



    I knew that was some kind of latin based language, its German, you just said something around the lines of:

    A 18-Jaehriger from Northern Germany is the computer parasit ""Sasser" programmed, which arranged world-wide million-damage. Sasser was not deadly for the computers. It ensured however for the fact that programs started again and again again and blocked the computers in such a way.

    The worm needs to live three things: a programmer to create it a hybrid, to supply it and an idiot to receive it.

  • User profile image
    jonathanh

    More details from the BBC

  • User profile image
    eagle

    The first time I went to Russia (it was called the USSR then) I quickly realized that English, German, Spanish, French and Italian are essentially the same language. How did you derive "hybrid" from "*"? Folgen Sie den Verbindungen, jenem mehr Spaß, die dann übersetzen, was Selbst ausrufend sein soll.   Dank! 
     

  • User profile image
    eagle

    jonathanh wrote:
    More details from the BBC



    Rufen Sie Bastarde und Aussehen auf, die erscheint….


    Machte’t ich miteinschließe eine Verbindung zum BBC?

  • User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

    eagle wrote:

    The first time I went to Russia (it was called the USSR then) I quickly realized that English, German, Spanish, French and Italian are essentially the same language. How did you derive "hybrid" from "*"? Folgen Sie den Verbindungen, jenem mehr Spaß, die dann übersetzen, was Selbst ausrufend sein soll.   Dank! 
     



    Babelfish's poor translation services.

  • User profile image
    jonathanh

    More breaking news:
    CNet - The Sasser informant asked for (and will probably get) a $250K reward from Microsoft's $5M reward fund.
    Slashdot - German police say they've now arrested the author of Phatbot, almost certainly based on evidence from the Sasser case.

  • User profile image
    lars

    An 18 year old punk from Germany. You bring the tar. I'll bring the feathers. Let's do this thing!

    /Lars.

  • User profile image
    eagle

    More Tar is needed as many more crackers have been arrested in Baden-Württemberg, Niedersachen, Hamburg and Bavaria.  With the price of oil these days this project is going to be expensive, but not as costly as the "reward" doled out to the informant (rat) who cashed in on his friends.
    It looks like a trail of 1's and 0's lead authorities from one cracker to another till they found the author of Phatbot.

    That's the inverse of "Social networking".

  • User profile image
    jonathanh

    Further updates: apparently German authorities are now alleging that the Sasser suspect was also connected to all 28 (!) variants of the Netsky worm. At least, that's what our press release says.

  • User profile image
    sbc

    I wonder what would happen if Microsoft was held accountable for viruses? That $50bn reserve wouldn't last very long.

    Viruses are a big problem for non-profits and public funded organisations like the NHS in the UK. The cost of updating those old Windows 95/98 systems and network infrastructure is a big issue - often there is not the time, manpower or the money to do it. At least for businesses the worse case is that they will lose profits thanks to downtime for patching. When it is health related it is far more serious - 100% uptime is needed.

  • User profile image
    eagle

    What if the NHS was held responsible for disease?

    They MUST upgrade their computing systems, it's a matter of life and death.

  • User profile image
    lars

    eagle wrote:

    What if the NHS was held responsible for disease?



    What if a car manufacturer would be held responsible for any bugs in the braking system?


    eagle wrote:

    not as costly as the "reward" doled out to the informant (rat) who cashed in on his friends.


    The best spent money ever. Kudos to Microsoft for helping to put these scumbags away.

    /Lars.

  • User profile image
    Manip

    Yeah I agree... clever thinking on Microsofts part.

  • User profile image
    eagle

    Maybe its time we name and shame the SA's bitten by the latest bug... Bugs and worms will continue to crawl around our networks, we all need to be more vigilant.

  • User profile image
    sbc

    eagle wrote:

    What if the NHS was held responsible for disease?

    They MUST upgrade their computing systems, it's a matter of life and death.


    Diseases are not things that we do not fully understand like we do with computers - computer bugs are easier to fix than human bugs.

    I think that the computers should be upgraded, however the issue is how it is to be done. It would take a long time and would really be done department at a time (critical systems would have a backup so you would upgrade them one at a time.

  • User profile image
    eagle

    A good diet and exercise will prevent most diseases.

     

    Computer upgrading migration  resources are well documented.

    Updated computing systems with a good firewall will prevent bugs and save lives with better patent care.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.