Coffeehouse Thread

30 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

No Sidebar for Longhorn anymore?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    ACT10Npack

I watch the keynotes from Bill Gates and notice something different about Longhorn from the prevervse versions. There were no sidebar, you know the bar that had a BIG clock in it and other stuff and I can't remember at this time. I know a lot of people were making programs for a sidebar for XP but in WinHEC, there were no sidebar and would like to know if Microsoft decided to get rid of that feature or it was not a key importance at that time?

• User profile image
    Loadsgood

I certainly hope so. http://desktopsidebar.com is way better Big Smile Supposedly it worked with the last Longhorn build too...

Update Upgrade Advance.
    Loadsgood.

• User profile image
    Jaz

i bet it'll be back

• User profile image
    rhm

I doubt most people would want it unless they had a multi-monitor setup. It just too up too much screen space. People can't afford to waste that many pixels. I mean Mac users don't have that stupid dock thing permanently displayed do they?

They could make it auto-hide like the taskbar has an option to now, but that would negate the utility of the panels that were supposed to be sited there.

• User profile image
    MasterPi

I was talking to Scoble a while back.  They removed the sidebar as you have observed. They removed it because so many users expressed their complete discontempt about the sidebar.

Looks like MS is listening to us. Smiley

mVPstar

• User profile image
    Tom Servo

If I hear one more complaint about wasting screen real estate, I'm gonna go on a killing spree. AUTO-HIDE, DAMN IT! >Expressionless

rhm wrote:
    They could make it auto-hide like the taskbar has an option to now, but that would negate the utility of the panels that were supposed to be sited there.

No, it wouldn't. If you need quick info, you just hover it. If you need quick access to the messenger contact list, you just hover it. If you want to watch your delivery status of your Amazon.com order, you just hover it. And so on.

• User profile image
    littleguru

I don't like that feature at all and heard that they removed it. But those are only rumours.

• User profile image
    geekling

Color me less than pleased they removed it. ;(

That is, of course, unless there's a suitable replacement...

• User profile image
    Michael Griffiths

Replacement:

Loadsgood wrote:
    I certainly hope so. http://desktopsidebar.com is way better Supposedly it worked with the last Longhorn build too...

Update Upgrade Advance.
    Loadsgood.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

I'm a gamer... I like my process count and RAM usage like I like my toilet breaks... short and sweet.

Good riddance, imo... your "home user" isn't going to know what RSS is, likewise your power user won't want an utterly pointless "slideshow" object nested there.

Although I still want Microsoft to replace the taskbar and start menu with something more intuitive.

• User profile image
    jamie

i was never too keen on sidebar idea

id use tabs at top of start menu (*if we're looking for ways to present more data otpions at top of gui)

• User profile image
    geekling

I know about those--but I was really hoping there would be *ONE* offical one. Codename Dashboard, Smartbar, Desktop Sidebar...

Each has unique plugins that are completely uninteroperable with the other two products and practically no community so there is very little third party development on them.

The development statuses of Dashboard and Smartbar are also suspect, leaving only Desktop Sidebar with quasi-active development.

But, I'm just bitching. I would not mind so much if Microsoft just introduced another way to gently notify the user of events and information panels,  and of produced a standardized API for it

• User profile image
    dotnetjunkie

Tom Servo wrote:
    If I hear one more complaint about wasting screen real estate, I'm gonna go on a killing spree. AUTO-HIDE, DAMN IT! >Expressionless

:o Don't even get me started on auto-hide!!  That's the most annoying feature EVER.

• User profile image
    jamie

*idea only - not designed

• User profile image
    W3bbo

that wouldn't work to well with my chosen menu theme:

Generic Forum Image

Oh, and my "weird" quicklaunch bar is actually "FLB" and I prefer it to the Start Menu for invoking applications.... so much quicker and easier.

The Start Menu is pure evil! Evil I tell you!

• User profile image
    jamie

theres still room at top .. could have tabs at bottom

i liked the idea of having 3 start menus..
    it would definately help clean up the mess that is "All Programs..."

Maybe have a 4th - user defined tab - choose which tab you want as default, use Classic XP style..

EDIT - the problem with the current - bigger menu is it doesnt have enough options

although i dont leave my xp install default.. i do like how it looks right after a clean install - the bar and the button with an empty desktop

if the start menu could hold more - do more .. then maybe i wouldnt have to add Quick links and address to taskbar ( address bar / search bar would be in Internet tab ) ..maybe theres a whole search tab whatever..

the startbar is the controler for windows..so they should add tons of customization options to it - as if there is only one button to click - it would be good if that button could do more

* even a simple list form scroller would work ..although a tad techy

• User profile image
    jwfisher

Hypothesis: the user experience and usability folks are looking it over. It's totally inconsistent with the new shell design. How many different places and ways do we want the same info?

There is a lot of research that went into having such a thing in Windows... going back several years. Hard to believe it'd just be dropped. True, last years preview version had a nearly useless version of it, and it looked particularly lame next to Desktopsidebar.

That said, Desktopsidebar is a really useful tool (I'm a big fan), and a great example of "opportunity knocks". Longhorn's wasn't fully formed yet, so OEMs jump up to the plate. Question is what will happen to it when or if Longhorn's comes out? Will the Desktopsidebar folks improve their code quality... will they really deliver a final product, and what value would it have over Longhorn's?

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

Personally, I think Microsoft should buy out the Konfabulator guy.  Buy his product and integrate it with Windows.  If Apple comes at them with a lawsuit, oh well f-it.  Konfabulator was here first.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.