Coffeehouse Thread

6 posts

Microsoft Anti-Virus, DoJ issue?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Manip

Microsoft, although it owns an Anti-Virus company and easily has the ability to write an anti virus solution why hasn't it done so? Is it because Microsoft doesn't feel it is its place or is it due to department of justice problems (monopoly power etc).. like adding media player to Windows?

• User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

Manip wrote:
    Microsoft, although it owns an Anti-Virus company and easily has the ability to write an anti virus solution why hasn't it done so? Is it because Microsoft doesn't feel it is its place or is it due to department of justice problems (monopoly power etc).. like adding media player to Windows?

Probably because of the DoJ and its AntiVirus partners.

I already gave a suggestion for how this could be accomplished here:

http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=5266

• User profile image
    MadRaven

I don't know whether or not it is a legal issue, but if it is than it's like tying Microsoft's hand. Everybody complains about windows security and if a legal obstacle were in the way of integrating an anti-virus that would mean Microsoft can't do anything about those security issues that require immediate intervention. The patching would be their only possiblility.

The same legal issue applies to a firewall too, however that is now integrated, thank god.However the quality of that firewall I think has been lowered due to anti-trust implications. 

• User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

MadRaven wrote:
    I don't know whether or not it is a legal issue, but if it is than it's like tying Microsoft's hand. Everybody complains about windows security and if a legal obstacle were in the way of integrating an anti-virus that would mean Microsoft can't do anything about those security issues that require immediate intervention. The patching would be their only possiblility.

The same legal issue applies to a firewall too, however that is now integrated, thank god.However the quality of that firewall I think has been lowered due to anti-trust implications. 

It is much improved in SP2, although, it would be nice if it would block pings, when I had it installed, Windows Firewall did not block pings from my laptop (192.168.1.101). ^_^;;

• User profile image
    MadRaven

I've tried it myself and it's a major improvement however if it would be even better some firewall developing software firms might sue Microsoft.
    Now it is viewed as targeting those people who wouldn't have used a firewall if Windows Firewall would not be there. But I don't think it is meant for competing with ZoneAlarm or the others.
    Is whole anti-trust issue is really a problem, as it basically forces Microsoft to make some inferior products (this way Windows Firewall isn't seen as a competitor so software makers that make personal firewall don't loose clients) only to evade the legal action.  

To be honest as I install windows very often i just hate to install all the other third-party software just to do basic things. The firewall is a good example as you partically cannot connect to the net without one (well u can but you won't stay long Smiley )
    Now that's about to be solved with SP2 but there are other software of this kind, download manager for example ( I cannot belive that IE still hasn't got the ability to resume a download) 

• User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

MadRaven wrote:
    I've tried it myself and it's a major improvement however if it would be even better some firewall developing software firms might sue Microsoft.
    Now it is viewed as targeting those people who wouldn't have used a firewall if Windows Firewall would not be there. But I don't think it is meant for competing with ZoneAlarm or the others.
    Is whole anti-trust issue is really a problem, as it basically forces Microsoft to make some inferior products (this way Windows Firewall isn't seen as a competitor so software makers that make personal firewall don't loose clients) only to evade the legal action.

Windows Firewall is a Firewall while ZoneAlarm Pro is a suite. I doubt Microsoft can't be sued over Windows Firewall because third parties are moving into suites. I intend on using Windows Firewall and ZoneAlarm Pro (with Firewall capabilities off) alongside each other.

By the way, does anyone know why pings aren't blocked by Windows Firewall in SP2 RC1 even when Allow pings is unchecked?

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.