Coffeehouse Thread

7 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Background slideshow a la OSX

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Tyler Brown

I've noticed on more than one occasion (whenever I'm in the local computer stores here in Ottawa) that Mac OSX features a rather attractive desktop background fading feature. You select a folder containing the images that you would like to use for the background on your desktop, and every 10 seconds or so (I'd imagine that this duration is configurable) the current background image will fade into the next background image. The nice thing about this is that it doesn't slow the system down to a crawl during transitions.

Now that the background information has been laid, here's the punch line. Will Longhorn feature such a capability out of the box? Seeing as how we're being graced with Aero, and that we will be stunned with it's unveiling, perhaps it will offer such eye-candy as this and more?

• User profile image
    jamie

that would be a better way to do it rather than screensaver mode (like xp / my pictures)

• User profile image
    rhm

Do you mean just changing the desktop wallpaper every 10 seconds? There must be a freeware utility that does that right now. Changing the wallpaper doesn't slow the machine down either unless you're talking about some fancy transition (which probably isn't possible right now on XP).

• User profile image
    NeoTOM

rhm wrote:
    Do you mean just changing the desktop wallpaper every 10 seconds? There must be a freeware utility that does that right now. Changing the wallpaper doesn't slow the machine down either unless you're talking about some fancy transition (which probably isn't possible right now on XP).

Actually MSFT enlisted the creator of AfterDark to create that very thing as a powertoy in >one of the packs (with much longer intervals). I'd contact him again to talk about emulating this.

• User profile image
    Tyler Brown

rhm wrote:

I don't know about you, but every single XP machine I have used, including my newest computer (Athlon XP 3200+, 1GB PC3200 RAM, ATI Radeon 9600 XT All In Wonder), whenever I change the background, the display properties dialog hangs for about 4 seconds, and then the background image is updated. Could you imagine fading one image into the next? Granted the image could be loaded into memory before applying the transition so that it would be smoother, but none the less... should it really take 3 seconds to update the background image on such a machine? The backgrounds are only 300kb and match the screen resolution.

• User profile image
    rhm

And yet when you (or I at least) select "Set as background" in the browser it changes immediately. I expect the delay you experience is more to do with something going on in your display panel rather than the basic shell functionality of changing the displayed background image.

• User profile image
    glebd

I've noticed on more than one occasion (whenever I'm in the local computer stores here in Ottawa) that Mac OSX features a rather attractive desktop background fading feature.<...>

Now that the background information has been laid, here's the punch line. Will Longhorn feature such a capability out of the box?

You mean, you are asking MS to copy from Apple? You must be mad!!

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.