Coffeehouse Thread

12 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Longhorn UI

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Carlos Luna

I have a suggestion for dialog boxes. It seems that no matter how many times MS comes out with a new OS, it seems to pay no attention to some UI areas of the OS. For instance, the Display Properties dialog box has never changed. It is still the same for what I can remember.

This dialog box among others such as; Sounds and Audio Devices Properties, Speech Properties, Mail, Add or Remove Programs, Internet Properties, etc. are just to name a few. I believe that these dialog boxes should all blend into the same Control Panel UI.

I believe MS would definitely make a real difference in UI by doing so.

I understand that this is something beyond UIs. Drivers/Vendors have a lot to do with this. But it would be nice to see a change in that area.

Carlos

• User profile image
    MasterPi

I actually think it's better to keep the "old fashioned ways" intact.  AFAIK, Longhorn will have some UI abstraction of most of those features, like an AERO based Sounds and Audio properties window, etc.

I think it's good to keep the old ways of doing things and then release a more visual abstraction.

mVPstar

• User profile image
    Tyler Brown

Abstract me away! I would love to see as much of the UI changed as can possibly be done with Aero. Make everything consistent, don't just impress me with the first look and then disappoint me when I start to dig deeper.

• User profile image
    tobias

Some people just don't know what they are talking about:

Slashdot
    Posted by Zonk on Tuesday April 26, @06:12PM
    from the time-for-extreme-programming! dept.
    bonch writes "Well, Longhorn beta 5048 was released a day before the start of WinHEC 2005, suggestive of the fact that it is not terribly impressive. Paul Thurrott (a Windows writer whose previously reported review of Mac OS X Tiger was updated after user feedback) confirmed this today in day two of his blog from WinHEC. Microsoft needed something big to kill the hype of competitors, but screenshots show minor visual updates from the last beta, and to quote Thurrot: 'This has the makings of a train wreck.'"

Please don't even bother to read the hundreds of comments below the post. Why is everybody complaining about the UI?? This Longhorn Beta is for DEVELOPERS and not the public.
    Why should Microsoft show off with a nice UI right now? The official release date is 2006. If you want to excite the general public with a nice design, do it month not years before a release. At least that is my opinion...

• User profile image
    jamie

because they are fucking late and have treated customers like * over this

Enough with fucking bugs and security - enough with fucking developers

How about the 4 year exodus from people - and not marketing * like msn mesenger and winmedia drm

REAL FUCKING * FUCKING COOL * FUCKING *

STUFF

haha Smiley

• User profile image
    Larry​Osterman

Carlos Luna wrote:

I have a suggestion for dialog boxes. It seems that no matter how many times MS comes out with a new OS, it seems to pay no attention to some UI areas of the OS. For instance, the Display Properties dialog box has never changed. It is still the same for what I can remember.

This dialog box among others such as; Sounds and Audio Devices Properties, Speech Properties, Mail, Add or Remove Programs, Internet Properties, etc. are just to name a few. I believe that these dialog boxes should all blend into the same Control Panel UI.

I believe MS would definitely make a real difference in UI by doing so.

I understand that this is something beyond UIs. Drivers/Vendors have a lot to do with this. But it would be nice to see a change in that area.

Carlos

Actually the display properties has changed for most releases.  Not much, but it's changed.

Having said that, wait until the OS ships.  And don't forget that the UI you see today is NOT going to be the UI you see when Longhorn ships.  You may be seeing parts of it, but it's NOT the final UI (this is not news, btw, the UI in the prereleases of Windows is NEVER the final UI).

• User profile image
    Manip

LarryOsterman wrote:

Actually the display properties has changed for most releases.  Not much, but it's changed.

Having said that, wait until the OS ships.  And don't forget that the UI you see today is NOT going to be the UI you see when Longhorn ships.  You may be seeing parts of it, but it's NOT the final UI (this is not news, btw, the UI in the prereleases of Windows is NEVER the final UI).

For those of us that don't care much for the new XP based UI, can we still use "classic" in Longhorn?

• User profile image
    jamie

label it: Manip UI

Wink

• User profile image
    Manip

jamie wrote:
    label it: Manip UI

A heck of a lot of people don't use the XP UI ... The classic is after all the better design Wink

• User profile image
    tobias

Manip wrote:
    LarryOsterman wrote:

For those of us that don't care much for the new XP based UI, can we still use "classic" in Longhorn?

Well, yes, at least in beta1... you can switch back to the classic start menu

• User profile image
    jamie

and... i agree

when you set XP to "best performance" - it presents a cool - win95  x  XP icons

when xp luna first came out i lamented to ben slivka about "how ms threw away 5 years of familiarity"

*that same 95' 3d look is being capitalised on by google, aol others..

Its really too bad xp didnt have a "classic" theme that was ,,like ...Classic 2

same ol same ol - but thinner bevels.. blue tones over gray - little things

some people really did like the 95 UI

my god! we agreed on something! ...or did we Smiley
    *no smilies!

• User profile image
    jamie

jamie wrote:

when xp luna first came out i lamented to ben slivka about "how ms threw away 5 years of familiarity"

why not include a skin for longhorn that is win 95/98/2000 only modernized

alot of people like that feel for windows

me?

ill take monty pythons flying circus windows (aero)

thanks in advance Smiley

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.