Coffeehouse Thread

20 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Microsoft font

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    NeoTOM

What font is this?

• User profile image
    jamie

its probably a custom font - but fonts that are similar are:

FRANKLIN GOTHIC FAMILY
    BELL CENTURY/GOTHIC FAMILY
    TAHOMA FAMILY - leading/spacing modified

• User profile image
    NeoTOM

jamie wrote:
    its probably a custom font

Nohohohohohohonsense!

• User profile image
    jamie

was it a trick question?

i give - what is it?

• User profile image
    Pantone285U

I agree with Jamie that it is almost certainly a custom font. I've always thought that it resembled Frutiger very closely and I've just done a test to see... I reckon it is Frutiger 65 Bold and Frutiger 45 Light - heavily negatively tracked, but with slight customisation (the dots on the 'i' are square in Frutiger whereas they are rounded off in the MS Font)...

Just did a JPG to illustrate this but just realised that I can't attach it to this message :-/

regards

Andy

• User profile image
    Rossj

jamie wrote:
    was it a trick question?

i give - what is it?

Want me to check the fonts on my mac? j/k.

• User profile image
    Tom Servo

After trying a bit, Segoe UI comes really close, which is a variation of Frutiger.

• User profile image
    Tensor

Ran it through the amazing WhatTheFont?

Had to D/l the image, trim it, and replace some of thet gradient background with pure black, but it came up with the following suggestions (it didnt do very well with the letter i)

1. Dialog Cond Semi Bold
      Preview Image
    2. Octone
      Preview Image
    3. Solpera
      Preview Image
    4. Formica-Bold
      Preview Image
    5. Globale Bold
      Preview Image

• User profile image
    Pantone285U

Actually I'm going to revise my judgement and go for....

Myriad Pro

Smiley

• User profile image
    figuerres

NeoTOM wrote:

What font is this?

from my work in the past with a comerical art person this is not a "font" anymore it's a logo.

what I mean is like others said; they take some fonts that are close to what they need, probably a custom typeface they use in-house for all the current 05 dev products and they converted the font to a vector graphic to do the final adjustments.

btw: typeface == master outline for a set of different fonts a font beeing one size and style and weight of a given typeface -- in case some folks don't know how type makers work things.

• User profile image
    mrichman

Most likely, it's the new Segoe family, which is a ripoff of Frutiger. Segoe is part of Longhorn.

• User profile image
    wacko

if i had to pick a font that looked closest I would actually pick the font Myriad Pro

• User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

mrichman looking at Frutiger and Segoe side by side I can see many small differences; and in some ways Segoe is a little nicer, though I don't understand the reason for the increased weight. Segoe: lower part of B more extended, the line on the Q more towards the center. top of R larger, with lower part less rounded, 1 has a line on the bottom, on 2 the top part is more rounded, on 6, 8, and 9, the closed curves are more compactly rounded, the curve on the d is extended a little further, the closed curve on the g more compact, the lines on the k lowered, the cross on the x lowered, etc., I'm sure you'll see more differences than this. In all, Segoe looks less vertically stretched than Frutiger. And I think Microsoft probably wanted a new font, their team is working on developing fonts that look good with ClearType and with print. Btw, I notice strong differences in Myriad and Transit, which are also cited as Frutiger clones. (I like Frutiger better, Frutiger is one of my favorite fonts). though if you want to talk about new fonts I [heart] Scala + Filosofia

• User profile image
    Pantone285U

M Richman

Thanks very much for your link. It makes for an interesting but slightly depressing read.

How difficult is for a giant like MS to give credit where credit is due?

Andy

• User profile image
    NeoTOM

THe world may never know.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

NeoTOM wrote:
    THe world may never know.

You've been digging up a lot of dead threads, whyso?

• User profile image
    NeoTOM

W3bbo wrote:
    NeoTOM wrote: THe world may never know.

Profile -> Threads->More. Full of unanswered chocolatey goodness.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

NeoTOM wrote:
    W3bbo wrote:
    NeoTOM wrote: THe world may never know.

Profile -> Threads->More. Full of unanswered chocolatey goodness.

Well, I admire you assertiveness.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.