Coffeehouse Thread

6 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

concept of startsomethingpc.com

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Stitch 2.0

About this new design competition:

First of all, I think it is a great idea. Let the real world users design stuff. They're after all the only people, knowing what they would buy.

But: I was thinking about entering the competition, but probably won't.

Why not?

I have to get the facts straight before answering that:
    1. As far as I understand it, there are three prizes in each category. Two times $50,000 and one time $25,000.
    Assuming this is right, if I should win, I can get a maximum of $50,000 out of it. (unless more than 1 "jury" likes my design best, which I think is highly unlikely)

2. By entering the competition I sign over all exploitation rights to MS.

Well, there you have it. I basicly "give" my ideas to Microsoft and they can make millions with it, while I'm stuck with peanuts.

I have read this opinion on several comments on sites reporting on startsomethingpc.com.

The problem is really simple, the prizes are too low.
    I can't imagine any serious industrial designer giving away any ideas under these circumstances!

What do you guys think?

• User profile image
    Rossj

Stitch 2.0 wrote:

Let the real world users design stuff. They're after all the only people, knowing what they would buy.

I can't imagine any serious industrial designer giving away any ideas under these circumstances!

I think it is one or the other. $50,000 is a lot of money for a real world user, imagine if you are a student and won this.  I also don't think the value of winning is in the money, it is in the job offers that are likely to come rolling in if you were to win Smiley

• User profile image
    Stitch 2.0

Rossj wrote:
    I also don't think the value of winning is in the money, it is in the job offers that are likely to come rolling in if you were to win

The second I hit "Create", I thought about that too. Smiley
    But still, MS (or DELL, BOSE or any other company involved) making millions using my design without having to mention it was my idea?
    Like I said: I probably won't enter.

It looks a bit like all of these companies are out of ideas and this being the "cheapest" way to come up with somethign.

• User profile image
    andokai

Well if you look at it another way is there any other way your designs would be used by these companies?

You're also making the assumption that the winning design will be implemented. It may just be a way to guage what people want from the next generation of computers.

Assuming the winning design does get used imagine the exposure the winner gets. I'd say the winning designer would be snapped up pretty quickly.  especially if in an interview they could point to a computer and say they'd designed it. Of course then they'd be getting real design contracts for real money.

You gotta look at the long term picture rather than short term gain. If I had the time or the talent I'd certainly enter.

• User profile image
    MasterPi

I'm still a bit confused about the competition.  What exactly do you have to do?

Draw something, create a video, create a computer box.  What?

Perhaps I'm missing something..

mVPstar

• User profile image
    Stitch 2.0

startsomethingpc wrote:
    Rethink the Windows-based PC experience today and the role it plays in people's lives. Envision how the digital lifestyle—from personal productivity at work or home, to entertainment, mobility, lifestyle and form—all play a part in development. Think big, be bold, and inspiring, but pay attention to sustainable technologies, and ecological and environmental innovation.

So basicly, design a Windows-based IT-system, suitable to be used in one of the following categories:
  • Personal Productivity (at work, at home or on the go)
  • Entertainment
  • Communication and Mobility (at work, at home or on the go)
  • Living and Lifestyle*

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.