Coffeehouse Thread

11 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

is the 'Metro' Format able to replace with Office File Format?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    leighsword

"Metro is a new fixed document format built on top of XML"  ,quote from http://www.microsoft-watch.com/article2/0,1995,1789314,00.asp.

office file format is a fairly flexible format, but it is NOT OPEN.

• User profile image
    Manip
  • User profile image
    sbc

It may not replace PDF. Simply because many already have PDF readers and it is a Microsoft technology. It has to be truly open (someone can write GPL software that can read and write it). Having it XML based makes it more appealing though.

• User profile image
    Rossj

sbc wrote:
    It has to be truly open (someone can write GPL software that can read and write it). Having it XML based makes it more appealing though.

Mention was made of open-ness during the keynote.

You can read the spec at microsoft.com once you have agreed to the license, which at first glance (IANAL) appears not too bad (for Microsoft). Of course how open it really is when it is shipped as a Windows executable is another matter. What is a .mdi file? Can it be read on anything other than Windows?

I don't understand section 3 though.

microsoft wrote:

3. If You are an entity and Angel merge into another entity or (b) a controlling ownership interest in You changes, Your right to use these Materials automatically terminates and You must destroy them.

Edit: .mdi is a tiff derivative.

• User profile image
    eddwo

If it's supposed to be "open" why do you have to have Office 2003 just to read the specification? Its in Microsoft Document Imaging format, 361 pages.

They should have used PDF, at least until they have a Metro renderer available.

• User profile image
    Rossj

Anyone at Microsoft:

For future reference, for the sake of the 1.5 minutes it took me to convert this .mdi file to PDF the payback in 'good vibes' would be immeasurable.

When you distribute stuff in proprietary derivative formats, wrapped in a binary you add more fuel to the fire of complaints against Microsoft.

When you say 'open' how about really making it open !

Edit: On top of which it is 2Mb smaller than the .mdi file

• User profile image
    figuerres

Rossj wrote:

I don't understand section 3 though.

microsoft wrote:
    3. If You are an entity and Angel merge into another entity or (b) a controlling ownership interest in You changes, Your right to use these Materials automatically terminates and You must destroy them.

my take is they mean that if the xyz corp signs a lic. for use and the  is sold to the pdq corp then pdq corp needs to get a lic. and the old one with xyz is void and null.
    kinda normal for keeping corp. legal things tyied to the current legal owners in case it goes to court later.

• User profile image
    Rossj

After reading around a bit more, it appears that most people think this is Microsoft's idea of a PDF killer (making my previous point a moot one).

No comment from anyone inside Microsoft on whether this is the intent or not?

• User profile image
    Minh

If Metro is a PDF replacement, you have to ask Is PDF not a free/open format? How is Metro better than PDF?

• User profile image
    Rossj

Minh wrote:
    How is Metro better than PDF?

PDF was NIH

• User profile image
    eagle

Metro is as much about Hardware and those fun printer drivers as a file format, this is WinHEC remember...

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.