Coffeehouse Thread

7 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Smartphone Options

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    MisterDonut

I needs to buy a new cell phone.. But I"m at a loss as to what to buy. I currently have a GSM-capable phone (Can't I just switch chips and re-use?) Really looking for a clam-shell model.

I'd love to have a Windows Mobile-based OS, something I can code against on my PC, preferably using .NET.

Anyone have good or bad experiences? I looked at the MPx220, but everyone seems to have them out of stock / back-order for a prohibitive amount of time. Are they already being phased out?

• User profile image
    Tensor

I forget what they are called in the US, but it has to be the SPV C500. They are pretty cheap (mine was free with a not too expensive contract).

Oh - its the Audiovox SMT-5600 in the states!

• User profile image
    Mike Temporale

MisterDonut wrote:

Anyone have good or bad experiences? I looked at the MPx220, but everyone seems to have them out of stock / back-order for a prohibitive amount of time. Are they already being phased out?

There have been a lot of bad expereinces with the MPx220. Despite that, some people still love the phone. 

I agree with Tensor comments on the Audiovox/C500.  It's a amazing phone, and there haven't been anywhere near as many issues with this phone.  Are you looking to play a lot of games? or are you more interested in Developing for the device?

• User profile image
    BruceMorgan

I had an MPX200 and it was a great phone; the MPX220 is the replacement. There were a number of issues with early MPX220s but they slipstreamed in some fixes and I believe those issues are resolved. 

Example: A coworker had an early MPX220 that had volume problems and his carrier replaced it for free, no issues with the new one.

I replaced my MPX200 with the Audiovox SMT-5600 and I absolutely love my new phone. It's a candybar phone, not a flip phone - first time I've had one like this.
    Everything about this phone is exceptional. Battery life is great, Outlook integration, performance, etc.

• User profile image
    Tensor

The only slight issue I have with my c500 is dust gathering under the screen. Apparently this is a known issue - I can go back to the Orange shop with it, and they'll get it fixed. Unfortunately its a factory job so I'd have to be without it while it was fixed Sad

• User profile image
    Mike Temporale

Tensor wrote:
    The only slight issue I have with my c500 is dust gathering under the screen. Apparently this is a known issue - I can go back to the Orange shop with it, and they'll get it fixed. Unfortunately its a factory job so I'd have to be without it while it was fixed

The dust issue appears to be a bigger issue with the C500.  I'm not sure why, but I haven't seen/heard of too many dust issues with the Audiovox phone.

(The C500 and Audiovox SMT5600 are the same phone made by HTC. The main difference is branding, colouring, and the Audiovox has WMP10) Smiley

• User profile image
    Mike Temporale

BruceMorgan wrote:
    I had an MPX200 and it was a great phone; the MPX220 is the replacement. There were a number of issues with early MPX220s but they slipstreamed in some fixes and I believe those issues are resolved. 

Example: A coworker had an early MPX220 that had volume problems and his carrier replaced it for free, no issues with the new one.

Very true.  However, from what we can tell, Motorola is working on a another ROM update for the MPx220. If you do go for the Motorola, then make sure the phone has ROM version 1.30 - which any new phone should have. 

Drop by http://www.SmartphoneThoughts.com and take a look around the Motorola forum. It will give you a good idea of the amount of problems people are having with the MPx220.

I'm not trying to be all negative about the MPx220.  It's a nice phone, you should just be aware of what you're getting into with it.

BruceMorgan wrote:
    Everything about this phone is exceptional. Battery life is great, Outlook integration, performance, etc.

Outlook integration is the same between the two phones.  All Windows Mobile Smartphones share the same Outlook, Calendar, Contacts, etc...  Wink

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.