Coffeehouse Thread

34 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

MS Just lost the Mobile Market

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Jaz
  • User profile image
    Dr. Shim

Nice gadget. So, when are you going to code something for it?

• User profile image
    Rossj

Dr. Shim wrote:
    Nice gadget. So, when are you going to code something for it?

As long as he knows J2ME or C++ he should be alright,  not sure what you were implying Smiley

• User profile image
    footballism

J2ME vs .Net Compact Framework
    air ur comments

• User profile image
    RandyRants

Jaz wrote:

How do you figure? 

All of what Nokia is plugging here SmartPhone 2002 could do, much less 2003.  Music playing, WiFi support, etc. - that's all old hat to the SmartPhone platform.  The only stand out factor - to me anyway - is the 4GB storage... and that can be supported by the SP, but only if an OEM opts to put such a hardware combo together... that's the OEM's call, not Microsoft's.  In fact, I'm betting this phone comes out on the market for the $700-900 range - for that amount of cash, I'd rather have my $250 SmartPhone and $250 20GB-40GB MP3 player (or $149 6GB player).

So the question is, how is MS not working hard enough?  Unless you're suggesting that MS doubles up on software AND hardware creation?  Then you'll need to explain to me how that's profitable or at least cost effect...

• User profile image
    MisterDonut

I"d disagree. MS is only as good as the hardware it runs on. If Windows (or any other software ) can do X, Y, and Z, but readily available hardware only supports X, then Y and Z are pretty much worthless.

Take my example: I'm looking really hard for Smartphones in my area (see my other post). I sure don't have to do that for Symbian OS phones.

• User profile image
    Tensor

Yes, but as RandyRants (can I call you RR to avoid having to type that name again?) points out, its a cost issue. With 4 gig of storage, you are not going to get one on those free with your £20 a month subscription. I do have an MS smartphone "free" for a subscription like that. I can get a stop=rage card for it if I want to, but its optional.

• User profile image
    rhm

footballism wrote:

J2ME vs .Net Compact Framework
    air ur comments

J2ME is a joke. You can write trivial little programs in it but it's so limited you wouldn't want to. You can do games with it as well, but there's such a massive variation in the performance of different phones implementing J2ME, you have to test on every since handset. Yet another example of Java's failure in it's main goal. Compile once - test everywhere is the unofficial motto.

I can't comment on Symbian coding, but I'm pretty sure I'd rather wirte C# in VS.NET with the nifty emulator in 2005 and using a framework I already know albeit in a more limited way and not having to worry about memory management. Same goes for PalmOS on PDAs. The .NET Compact Framework on Windows Pocket/Mobile is such a massive win from a development point of view.

• User profile image
    andokai

Symbian programming. I always get a shudder down my spine when I hear that.

J2ME is like a box of chocolates, you never know which JSRs you're gonna get. "Yes this phone has bluetooth but your java apps can't access it" etc. etc.

As for the phone/mp3 player. Personally I don't want a mobile phone ariel attached to my head all day which is what the headphones effictively are.

What's next, phone/electric toothbrush? Actually I might patent that Smiley

• User profile image
    Rossj

andokai wrote:
    Symbian programming. I always get a shudder down my spine when I hear that.

I've seen that reaction before, I don't fully understand it - but I've seen it.

• User profile image
    geekling

Jaz,

although your URLs are extremely long and upsetting, your  philosophy is interesting and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

• User profile image
    eddwo

I'm more impressed with the N90. Its a flip phone that folds around and into a mini camcorder. It has twice the resolution of a typical Series 60 and works in landscape mode for web browsing.
    I'm looking to update my Nokia 6600 sometime this year, so that might be the one I decide to go for.

• User profile image
    androidi

Finally Nokia comes up with some decent features in their phones. Now if it only ran Avalon too Wink

• User profile image
    pikatung

One must remember, this is the same company that thought releasing the n-gage was a good idea.

• User profile image
    Michael Griffiths

pikatung wrote:

One must remember, this is the same company that thought releasing the n-gage was a good idea.

heh, Nokia's a great company.

Despite a few (some major) errors, they're still very, very good.

• User profile image
    rudyfink

I don't think MSFT remotely lost the market but the point about working harder is well taken.  The hard drive is cute but it's not really much better than my gb flash card.  The cameras are good for western phones but other than that nothing special.

There has been surprisingly little progress in the delivery of smartphone products in the two years.  The devices are certainly complicated to be sure, but there isn't much to even drool at.  More phones I was interested in to replace my Treo get canceled or indefinitely delayed than I hear new ones released.

The idea of the smart tablet pushed yet again at WinHEC is interesting but I think an area of far less promise than smartphones.  Who looked at the tablet and said, "ok, it's smaller than last year, yay!".  Who would have been floored at a good smartphone with wifi/gps/bluetooth?

I suspect this is an issue of the cart pulling the horse.  Microsoft would seem to be cautious about intruding on it's Windows and Office lines.  Making a phone work great for most consumer networking needs potentially canibalizes happy margins.  I still think smartphone/cellphone devices are the apparent immediate future of computing, hopefully MSFT will try and flow with the river instead of pushing it.

• User profile image
    Rossj

androidi wrote:
    Finally Nokia comes up with some decent features in their phones. Now if it only ran Avalon too

Not Avalon, but SVG Tiny (more open).

• User profile image
    RandyRants

eddwo wrote:
    I'm more impressed with the N90. Its a flip phone that folds around and into a mini camcorder. It has twice the resolution of a typical Series 60 and works in landscape mode for web browsing.

To this end, that's my point.  Above is a list of features that relate to the phone and has little to do with the SmartPhone os Series 90 OS's themselves.  That it's a flip phone, camcorder and twice the resolution is ALL hardware... in this instance, it would be comparing Nokia to any of the OEM's that make SP devices.  The landscape mode is an OS feature which become Symbian vs Microsoft...

I don't know what they have going on in Magneto but isn't there an app from JimmySoftware that rotates the screen?  I know there was for the PocketPC platform - didn't know about SmartPhone.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.