Coffeehouse Thread

11 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

LONGHORN - A mere UI Theme?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    moksha

It might be a bit cliched to say, "Has MS lost it?" or "Longhorn will be a failure"....but I am forced to think so...

Why?

First off, looking at the screenshots @ http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/longhorn_5048_gallery_01.asp , it looks as if Windows XP has been given a new theme.

Second, Paul Thurrott says so @ http://www.windowsitpro.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=46175

Whatever happened to the .Net infrastructure? Whatever happened to WebServices?

Why doesn' MS start from ground up instead of taking the XP base code and tinker it?

To be honest, I was quite happy to hear the intial goals for Longhorn but I guess it was all too good to be true.

Come on MS. Buck up.

--moksha

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

Comment removed at user's request.

• User profile image
    Tyler Brown

First of all, this is a pre-Beta release intended for driver development and testing. It's been stated that this is not a version to showcase the new Longhorn UI. WebServices are being implemented through Indigo, and Longhorn will come with a P2P API built in.

How long has it taken Microsoft to come this far? Do you think that they'd just start from the ground up and take another 4 years or so to get Longhorn out the door? Whenever someone builds a new flavour of Linux, do they rewrite the entire kernel? No, work with what you have. It's called Software Engineering.

• User profile image
    figuerres

moksha wrote:

It might be a bit cliched to say, "Has MS lost it?" or "Longhorn will be a failure"....but I am forced to think so...

Why?

First off, looking at the screenshots @ http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/longhorn_5048_gallery_01.asp , it looks as if Windows XP has been given a new theme.

Second, Paul Thurrott says so @ http://www.windowsitpro.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=46175

Whatever happened to the .Net infrastructure? Whatever happened to WebServices?

Why doesn' MS start from ground up instead of taking the XP base code and tinker it?

To be honest, I was quite happy to hear the intial goals for Longhorn but I guess it was all too good to be true.

Come on MS. Buck up.

--moksha

well when the ideas have to be taken to market you have a few things to deal with.....

if they did a ground up re-invention of windows it would fail!

why:  how many "average users" would be willing to dump almost every program the run today and get new ones? 
    what business IT shop will say "yes" to a totaly new system that has no roots in the known (warts and all) WIndows OS ?

Microsoft has a not-so-simple job of trying to add new stuff and not break to much of the old stuff.

you mess to much at one time with drivers, API's and the like and you get some nasty problems.

go look at say DOS to WIn3.1 and then at win Nt 4.0 and win95

code for win3.1 was way different than code for NT 4.0 and for win95
    drivers and amy dll's had to be totaly different.

imagine if you wrote a new OS that was not based on windows and not based on UNIX and not based on....
    and then started trying to get the hardware and current apps to run.... way to big a mess to try today.... unless you got say 100 billion to dump and never get back.

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

Comment removed at user's request.

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

I guess I will post them later, I like the new Theme work for Longhorn, sh1t Microsoft, release it as an unofficial theme for Windows XP.  I wasnt expecting much from WinHEC anyway, What I expected I got, this is a Hardware conference not a software conference although seeing the new search stuff was really cool.  This build is for hardware folks to start developing drivers and other stuff, not for production use.  I will hold off until Beta 1 is released to the public.

• User profile image
    Rossj

Kind of ironic that so much was made of drop shadow and transparency just to have them turn around days later and say it looks like s***,

Just bite the bullet Microsoft, sure it looks naff and you'll get some grief over it, but this should just give you more motivation to blow us all away with the Beta 2.

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

rjdohnert wrote:
    I guess I will post them later, I like the new Theme work for Longhorn, sh1t Microsoft, release it as an unofficial theme for Windows XP.  I wasnt expecting much from WinHEC anyway, What I expected I got, this is a Hardware conference not a software conference although seeing the new search stuff was really cool.  This build is for hardware folks to start developing drivers and other stuff, not for production use.  I will hold off until Beta 1 is released to the public.

After reading Pauls explanation of why Microsoft wants the screenshots down, I downloaded them for personal consumption, I will not be posting these screenshots of Longhorn at all on my site, blog and I wont distribute em so dont ask.  the explanation makes a lot of sense, and I think Chris Pirillo was wrong when he said the new theme looks like shiat.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

There used to be an incredibly ugly green theme in the early Whistler betas, next to the old Professional theme (this was before Luna was introduced). This theme had some odd shapes and horrible colours. It was there for only one reason: as a test of what the theming engine could do, in contrast to the more 'conventional' professional theme which still had square windows etc.

I suspect that the current Longhorn theme is a similar deal, nothing more than a demonstration of the capabilities of the theming engine. It shows it can do transparency, blurring, drop shadows and the like. It quite likely does not show how Longhorn is going to look.

This is what Whistler (WinXP) looked like at beta 1. Nothing like the final product. Luna wasn't introduced until beta 2, and even then still changed significantly before RTM. Longhorn isn't even at beta 1 yet.

• User profile image
    Cider

And just to add to Sven's post about what a beta can look like, here's the frightening OS X beta screenshot!

• User profile image
    AndyC

Exactly, and to prove no platform is immune look how ugly the KDE beta is

Oh, hang on, that's a released version. Wink

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.