Coffeehouse Thread

4 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Win32 and Longhorn

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Rossj

So I recall Beer asking about Win32 APIs for Longhorn a while ago, and then today I saw this on Paul Thurrots site.  Am I getting mixed up or is this exactly what Beer was told wouldn't happen?

Paul T wrote:

Some Longhorn features will be back-ported to Win32 (and not be made available only through WinFX), which was unexpected. Very little was said about this, however.

• User profile image
    AndyC

I think he was watching a different keynote to the rest of us. Smiley

Bill did mention that 64-bit versions of all the Win32 functions were available in XP x64, perhaps that is what he was thinking of?

• User profile image
    Minh

I think what's being discussed there is the accessibility of some WinFx functions (which is Managed code) from unmanaged code. Probably in the form of unmanaged DLLs that does an interop (backward from what we're used to think of interop)

• User profile image
    eddwo

Unless they were talking about milcore.dll, the unmanaged library that contains the underlying performance critical code for Avalon.  It looks as though parts of Windows, such as the shell will be built on milcore, but it will not be documented for application developers.  Third parties are expected to access this functionlity via the managed high level wrappers.

"MILCORE.DLL is the unmanaged composition engine that Avalon uses for rendering. It  is a layer above Direct3D, giving us basic 2D, 3D, Animation, and Composition services  (probably a few others i'm forgetting to mention also). The composition engine is  unmanaged primarily for interop/performance reasons. The composition engine spends  most of it's time talking to Direct3D. In addition, there are multiple customers of  the composition engine, including some that can't take a managed code dependency right  now."

http://www.simplegeek.com/commentview.aspx/a09c8a32-b4d0-47ce-8186-0c5e7beae66b

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.