Coffeehouse Thread

19 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Microsoft want more screenshots down

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Badgerguy

    Perhaps Microsoft could tell us why they are asking sites to take down screenshots of the latest build of Longhorn, despite the fact that you've got the video of the Bill Gates keynote -clearly showing off Longhorn- on the Microsoft website?!

  • User profile image
    sbc

    Maybe because Windows will not look like that and many would be disappointed after seeing them?

    The build is targetted at driver developers. Wait for betas to see what the final release may look like.

  • User profile image
    Tyler Brown

    I hope Microsoft makes a press-release or an announcement of some form that lets everyone know that this is a developer preview intended for the development and testing of drivers. It's really getting on my nerves hearing about all these people ranting and raving about how much Longhorn sucks because this pre-beta build doesn't have a nice UI. It's a hardware developer preview, released at a hardware developer conference. Use the nogin already!

  • User profile image
    lars

    I don't understand this move. Microsoft has distributed copies of the build. The cat is out of the bag.

  • User profile image
    tobias

    OK, Microsoft has provided its explanation. What it boils down to is that there may be certain technologies in the Longhorn Developer Preview build for which Microsoft has not filed patent applications, and the confidentiality provisions protect or mitigate the company's filing rights. One of the focus areas of IP protection has been user interface, hence Microsoft cannot permit screenshots of the UI. I was told that Microsoft had left its Media Center user interface unprotected, and that UI has been stolen and replicated in numerous other places. They don't want that to happen to Longhorn.

    Longhorn Beta 1 will not have a confidentiality provision in its EULA. So we won't have to worry about this issue with that build, now due in late June.



    This should (or not...) explain Microsofts reason!

  • User profile image
    sbc

    If some of the UI ideas have already been implemented in another windowing system (i.e. KDE or Gnome), I guess they would count as prior art and invalidate any patents that describe the ideas.

    Are there any example of UI design being patented?

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    Wouldn't Microsoft be flattered that others are using their UI concepts?

    After all... it ensures consistency for the user, which can only be a good thing.

  • User profile image
    Michael Griffiths

    W3bbo wrote:
    Wouldn't Microsoft be flattered that others are using their UI concepts?

    After all... it ensures consistency for the user, which can only be a good thing.


    uh... how is this good if the ones copying it are Linux?

    In which case, Microsoft wants less consistency. More consistency means it's easier to switch.

  • User profile image
    lars

    Beer28 wrote:
    They probably want total product control so people are "amazed" when they see longhorn for the first time at the release.


    Maybe they should have thought about that before they put the keynote and Longhorn demo on the web for anyone to see. Wink

    Btw; didn't Apple already do this? Tongue Out

  • User profile image
    lars

    Beer28 wrote:

    Apple's too busy ripping books off the shelves of their stores
    http://news.google.ca/news?hl=en&ned=ca&q=jobs+wiley&btnG=Search+News
    defending the honor of Steve Jobs.


    Holy cow. Is that for real? Looks like he's lost his mind!  :o
    Beer28 wrote:

    the new harry potter book in adult version


    Hmm. I'm not sure if I dare to go there.  Wink

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    lars wrote:

    Beer28 wrote:
    the new harry potter book in adult version


    Hmm. I'm not sure if I dare to go there. 


    It's just the normal version with some swearing and violence left in... along with slightly more complex words and sentances too big for "little kiddies" to comprehend. There's no real smut in it. (For shame)

  • User profile image
    scobleizer

    It's cause the lawyers are freaking out because letting screen shots survive in public view impacts their ability to patent and protect our intellectual property.

    I disagree with how they are going about it, though. Sigh.

  • User profile image
    Maurits

    Michael Griffiths wrote:
    W3bbo wrote:Wouldn't Microsoft be flattered that others are using their UI concepts?

    After all... it ensures consistency for the user, which can only be a good thing.


    uh... how is this good if the ones copying it are Linux?

    In which case, Microsoft wants less consistency. More consistency means it's easier to switch.


    Bingo!  Good for users != Good for business.

  • User profile image
    Badgerguy

    scobleizer wrote:
    It's cause the lawyers are freaking out because letting screen shots survive in public view impacts their ability to patent and protect our intellectual property.

    I disagree with how they are going about it, though. Sigh.


    Yeah - but there are videos of your people demoing the product at WinHEC, on Microsoft's own website!

  • User profile image
    lars

    Badgerguy wrote:
    scobleizer wrote:It's cause the lawyers are freaking out because letting screen shots survive in public view impacts their ability to patent and protect our intellectual property.

    I disagree with how they are going about it, though. Sigh.


    Yeah - but there are videos of your people demoing the product at WinHEC, on Microsoft's own website!


    Well, the problem is not really solved - just moved from MSFT Legal to the marketing department. I'm sure they like it just as much as the lawyers did. Smiley

  • User profile image
    Michael Griffiths

    scobleizer wrote:
    It's cause the lawyers are freaking out because letting screen shots survive in public view impacts their ability to patent and protect our intellectual property.

    I disagree with how they are going about it, though. Sigh.


    It's stupid.

    Instead, do something fun. Distract.

    As Richard Gere says in Chicago... "Razzle, dazzle them!".

    It works every time.

    Consider: Microsoft whips something up,on the UI end. How about releasing the theme in Longhorn for WinXP, as a download on Microsoft's web site? Even if they have to modify it.

    The message then becomes, not the theme is horrible for Longhorn, but this is a theme for XP - and not Longhorn. It doesn't use Avalon or any "freaky-deaky" effects promised in Longhorn.

    Or: anything else. Anything that distracted from the new theme in Longhorn, as opposed to drawing attention to it. While beforehand, geeks would have dismissed it as "pre-beta" and "this has been done before", and no-one else would have cared, now it becomes an issue of jorunalistic integrity, and you get people like Paul - ordinarily a "fanboi" - incensed. And bloggers get dragged into the fray because, hey, it's journalism, right?

    Look at what's happened to Apple - and even Google - when they sue. Distract, distract, distract. However you can. Legal solutions should be the last resort.

    And hell, laywers should be urging this stuff. Doesn't anyone read Sun Tzu? The best generals avoid war, and never seek it - entering it only as a last resort. Or what about Strategy? Avoid, avoid, misdirect - never fire directly at you're objective, but always approach indirectly.

    Ah, well.

  • User profile image
    rjdohnert

    scobleizer wrote:
    It's cause the lawyers are freaking out because letting screen shots survive in public view impacts their ability to patent and protect our intellectual property.

    I disagree with how they are going about it, though. Sigh.


    I agree with that.  they should have let people know privately and gave them an explanation and not waited 4 hrs before telling people why.  I mean the reasoning they gave in my opinion was quite legitimate, they just need to be forthcoming more than letting "it looks like s&%#t" rumors start flying, BTW Scoble I personally think the new interface does look quite amazing.  Its unique and differentiating, definately not grandpa's Windows.

  • User profile image
    rjdohnert

    Beer28 wrote:
    . I can imagine Jonny Cochrane barging into the kid's room and threatening to take his PS2 game controller away until he stops it or whatever.

    The only UI that's going to be harder to make for Gnome will be the transparencies, but with the new Gnome apis and the stuff novell, XCB and de M. de Icaza is doing that should be possible pretty soon I would think.


    Beer28, Johnny Cochrans dead, if he busts into a 12 year olds room I have three words of advice for that kid, RUN LIKE HELL!!!!.  What Novell or Gnome does is irrelevant, interfaces are going to get better and "prettier" as time goes on, what matters is how will that help people achieve the ultimate goal, which is seamless computing, no hassle installs and be more productive.  the Linux interface is fine now, and looking glass is very nice, I have it running on my OpenBSD machine at home, the problem with Linux and most UNIX desktops now is not in the GUI, its still for the technically advanced. Linux companies need to improve usability and improve the quality of support.  When my grandmother can set up Linux with no intervention from me and without calling me for help every 10 minutes then and only then will Linux distributions be ready for the average computer user.  I was quite surprised, she did set up Windows XP Pro by herself and didn't call me one time.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.