Coffeehouse Thread

34 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Jim Allchin interview (early for Coffeehouse'ers)...

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    scobleizer

Here's the Jim Allchin interview I did this morning. Early for those of you who hang out in the Coffeehouse. Enjoy!

• User profile image
    Tyler Brown

Thanks for the gift Scoble Wink Downloading it now!

• User profile image
    scobleizer

This will be up officially in the morning.

• User profile image
    Manip

Me too!

Scoble can you try and cut the "wild camera moves"? Tongue Out

• User profile image
    scobleizer

Heh!

Actually most of the interview I lock down the camera.

That was an inside joke. Remember Steve Gillmor's "Allchin's last stand" rant?

• User profile image
    Manip

Yeah I remember that interview. Smiley

PS - Your such a tease with longhorn, just showing it back there but not letting us see it free real. Crying

• User profile image
    scobleizer

00:00 Where are we and who are you?
    00:25 What do you do?
    1:10 If you wanted to change the start button to a purple color you could probably get it done, huh?
    1:30 What's your average day like?
    3:00 What's a Jim Allchin review like?
    5:14 What don't we know about you?
    7:30 You're dogfooding Longhorn?
    8:41 Tell me about your press tour last week. (Discussion about what Jim's passionate about; 64-bit, peer-to-peer, stuff happening around edge).
    14:35 What's going to be thrilling in Longhorn? (Reaction to Winhec reaction. Discussion of Metro. Discussion of what Winhec was for).
    18:17 Why are you so passionate about 64-bit Windows?
    22:13 WHen did you get into this industry?
    22:35 Are you suprised by how far this industry has come in just your lifetime? (Discussion of where industry is heading).
    24:53 So the PC is not dead?
    25:17 Getting the Channel 9 guys involved. What's coming on the Tablet PC?
    27:30 Any guesses on how long it'll take most mobile devices to have inking capabilities?
    29:07 What's the developer story on Longhorn?
    31:16 What is a business going to get out of upgrading to Longhorn?
    36:09 The most exciting thing about Longhorn for me is security improvements (discussion of security improvements in Longhorn).
    38:12 What kinds of new applications (or improved ones, like Notepad/Paint) will ship with Longhorn?
    39:03 Will Avalon and Indigo be in Longhorn?
    39:40 What is the desktop compositor?
    41:33 What will Longhorn do with RSS?
    43:00 What's different about search in Longhorn?
    45:45 When will we get a chance to use Longhorn?

Video length: 00:47:05.

• User profile image
    BruceLee

Thanks Scoble. But when the MSDN Subscribers can download the new bits of Longhorn?

• User profile image
    BruceLee

Can't wait for that, thanks. Smiley

• User profile image
    Manip

scobleizer wrote:
    I hear next week.

Obviously you can't upload the MSDN longhorn for us to download Wink but you could get some generic person (like Charles) to sit in front of a camera and do a Longhorn tour on the MSDN one?

• User profile image
    scobleizer

I wanted to get Jim Allchin to do a demo, but the lawyers wouldn't let us. Sigh.

• User profile image
    Manip

Not even *after it is on MSDN? I can see why not right now...

• User profile image
    scobleizer

Because the current builds don't have any of the stuff that makes Longhorn Longhorn.

I'll try to get some demos sooner than summer, though.

• User profile image
    Maurits

No more admin-by-default - GOOD!

System processes don't have system-wide access - GOOD!

System-wide print-to-file - GOOD! (please add a PDF converter so I can publish my "printed" files interoperably...)

All the "stuff around the edge" talk was interesting, but perhaps not as new as all that.  Spam is a perfect example of a massively successful parallel algorithm.  The Folding @ home and SETI @ home projects also prove that the concept works, even though the purpose is somewhat wishy-washy.  How about an application that provides real and immediate benefit?  Like a build-the-msn-search-index @ home - that would rock...

Other than that, all the new features seem to be designed to consume extra CPU.

The "new desktop compositor" -- just means that the "only the foreground window has to paint" rule is gone, right?  Now all windows have to paint?  Just for the sake of a few "cool" transitions?  Oy...

Index service on-by-default?  Eh... I know where my files are, thanks.  And I REALLY hope that this won't index network drives by default.  And oh joy, I have to go superuser to turn it off.

• User profile image
    Tom Servo

Maurits wrote:
    Index service on-by-default?  Eh... I know where my files are, thanks.  And I REALLY hope that this won't index network drives by default.  And oh joy, I have to go superuser to turn it off.

I used to say that myself all the time, until I started packratting all sort of documents.

• User profile image
    eddwo

The compositor keeps the state of each window in its own buffer, so a window only needs to repaint when something on it actually changes. The compositor can blend the windows based on the contents of the buffer.

With Avalon the entire contents of the window is retained as an object tree, animations can be declared on the objects and the presentation engine takes care of the rendering. So the application doesn't need to repaint itself even if it is showing an animation, it only needs to instruct the presentation engine when a change is made to one of the properties of the display object tree.

• User profile image
    Arran

This is just so annoying...i am just getting settled after the hype of VS2005 (which is a top product by the way) and now the longhorn hype starts...

There just simply is not enough hours in the day to keep up with all this cool stuff!

Just going to have to permanently give up on sleep and buy that caffeine drip i have been thinking about Smiley

• User profile image
    Cairo

scobleizer wrote:
    Because the current builds don't have any of the stuff that makes Longhorn Longhorn.

The ship date is only a year out. When will "Longhorn" start being "Longhorn" and stop being "XP+"?

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.