Coffeehouse Thread

15 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

=rand (200,99)

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    CodeRyder

i got an interesting mail today, its kool

Open Microsoft Word and type

=rand (200,99)

and HIT ENTER 

and see what happens, i guess some of u have already tried this out, im wondering how this is possible,

any suggestions, coz i have no clue

(how can this happen) 

• User profile image
    Arran

is this like a easter egg?  Very strange... 

• User profile image
    CodeRyder

hi mate,

did u try it out, there is a ghost in the Word hahahaha 

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

It's a test feature. It's been in Word for a long time, and I've known about it for a long time too (sorry). You can vary the numbers to get a different number of results. The first number is the amount of lines, and the second the amount of times the sentence is printed per line.

The sentence "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" is a sentence that contains all 26 letters of the roman alphabet. As such, it's a convenient test phrase when testing things like fonts and markup.

• User profile image
    Manip

http://www.eeggs.com/

It is designed to allow you to test things by creating content... Not an easter egg, a feature (for real!).

• User profile image
    CodeRyder

thanks mate,

i didnt know about that, i knew it was that testing feaure and about the Quick brown fox..., but i was wondering how is this possible, and in mine, if i change the number of lines it doesnt work Sad

anyway thanks for the information guys

• User profile image
    Arran

Sven Groot wrote:

The sentence "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" is a sentence that contains all 26 letters of the roman alphabet. As such, it's a convenient test phrase when testing things like fonts and markup.

Ahh, always wondered why that phrase is used everywhere...you learn something new everyday...

• User profile image
    W3bbo

However...

Lorem Ipsum is the preferred text sample for filling in sample regions, rather than "the quick brown fox" because since it's latin... people don't read it, and also because it's generated randomly, there's no recurring pattern in the line and letter breaks, as with "the quick brown fox".

Regardless... foxes are red or grey, not brown

• User profile image
    Darron

W3bbo wrote:

So maybe we should go back and change it to "The quick fox jumped over the lazy brown dog."

Nah, just doesn't have the same ring to it.

• User profile image
    BruceMorgan

There are gray, red, white, brown, and even blue foxes.  http://encarta.msn.com/encyclopedia_761565627/Fox_(animal).html#s3"> http://encarta.msn.com/encyclopedia_761565627/Fox_(animal).html#s3

• User profile image
    Cider

Manip wrote:
    http://www.eeggs.com/

It is designed to allow you to test things by creating content... Not an easter egg, a feature (for real!).

Yeah.  What is a shame is that Easter Eggs are no longer allowed in Microsoft products because of, I think, some US Government edict which said something like "no secret features allowed in products".  Sure a Microsoftie can clear that up.

Damned shame.  I used to love them, especially the ones in Excel.  I actually managed to chat up a girl once when I was doing support work back in my student days by breaking the ice with the Excel 97 flight simulator!  Always a great reason for Easter Eggs!

I think the Excel team probably spent as much time working on their flight sims or spy hunter games as they did on Excel itself, though.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

Cider wrote:

Damned shame.  I used to love them, especially the ones in Excel.  I actually managed to chat up a girl once when I was doing support work back in my student days by breaking the ice with the Excel 97 flight simulator!  Always a great reason for Easter Eggs!

Somewhere, an Excel developer is smiling. 

• User profile image
    BruceMorgan

Cider wrote:
    What is a shame is that Easter Eggs are no longer allowed in Microsoft products because of, I think, some US Government edict which said something like "no secret features allowed in products".  Sure a Microsoftie can clear that up.

It's not a government edict, it's security practices. Easter eggs were always (usually?) an under-the-table, wink-wink project. Nothing gets in these days without TMAs, security reviews, code reviews, etc.

Then, there is the PR issue. Imagine explaining to the world that some huge Blaster-ish attack was against Easter egg code that had no end-user value.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

Given that I've pretty much exceeded my posting quota for the evening:

It's still sad that we've gone from:

left, right, left, right, up, down, up, down, a, b, a, b, etc.

To:

Our lawyers would castrate us if we got hacked through one of our fun little diversions.

• User profile image
    bishfish

W3bbo wrote:
    However...

Lorem Ipsum is the preferred text sample for filling in sample regions, rather than "the quick brown fox" because since it's latin... people don't read it, and also because it's generated randomly, there's no recurring pattern in the line and letter breaks, as with "the quick brown fox".

Actually Lorem Ipsum is not random: http://www.lipsum.com/
    "Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

The standard chunk of Lorem Ipsum used since the 1500s is reproduced below for those interested. Sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 from "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" by Cicero are also reproduced in their exact original form, accompanied by English versions from the 1914 translation by H. Rackham."

Add this to the vast store of completely useless and irrelevant information :^)

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.