Coffeehouse Thread

56 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

What is a reasonable price for Longhorn

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    rjdohnert

I always hear so much complaining and whining about the pricing of Microsofts products.  Now, I wanna ask all of you.  What do you consider to be a reasonable price for Longhorn?  Beer28 I said reasonable, Free is not reasonable.  Here is what I think is a reasonable price:

Client Version -- Full version OEM....$250.00
                              Upgrade .................$100.00 - $150.00
                              Family License (install on 5 PC's) $500.00

Server --- Small Business .................$400.00 - 500.00
                    Enterprise.........................$900.00
                    Datacenter.......................$1,500.00

I know Microsoft doesnt do family licensing but it should considering Most families have more than 1 PC, in my case the better half  has a PC, I have numerous PC's but only 4 that run Windows, the kids have a PC, and in the case of my gf she has a home PC and she has a laptop.  Family licensing does make sense.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

a) Famlies with more than 1 computer usually have a 2nd one dating back to '99, Longhorn won't install on that machine

b) If the OEM price is $250, it'll push the prices of computers up by a LOT, right now XP-Home for system builders is only $60; Pro is $120

c) Microsoft should sell its OSes cheaper.... the increase in price since Windows 95 has been waaay above inflation.

• User profile image
    Arran

Yeah but to be fair the development costs since Win95 is also way above the inflation % as well.

IMHO i dont think MS charges too much for software.  All you have to do is look at their research budget to help balance things out a bit.  I would not like to think of the number of developers MS have on longhorn, office and the enterprise server products.
    Then as well as the developers for these products the sales need to subsidise the free stuff MS do (e.g. .NET Framework)

No doubt someone will now say but look at the amount of money MS make.  Well i think they deserve it, but after all this is just a opinion.  I get the whole open source and GPL side of things as well.

Maybe i am just a capitalist at heart Smiley

• User profile image
    msemack

W3bbo wrote:
    c) Microsoft should sell its OSes cheaper.... the increase in price since Windows 95 has been waaay above inflation.

Actually, you're mistaken.  The prices for the different versions of Windows have stayed almost constant over the years.

XP Pro costs about as much as 2K Pro, which cost as much as NT 4.0 Workstation.

XP Home costs about as much as Windows ME, which cost as much as Win98, etc.  In fact, XP Home costs about the same as Windows 3.1 did.

If anything, the price has DECREASED over the years, because of inflation.

• User profile image
    harumscarum

Manip wrote:

There is no need to ask why Apple doesn't have such a large problem with piracy.

I dont think price has to do with it. I like their pricing though.

• User profile image
    Manip

If Microsoft matched apple 1 for 1 I would be a very happy person.

Mac OS X v10.4 "Tiger" - $129.00 (£88.99)
    Mac OS X v10.4 "Tiger" Family Pack (5 PC) - $199.00 (£139.00) 

Mac OS X Server v10.4 (10 client license) - $499.00
    Mac OS X Server v10.4 (Unlimited client license) - $999.00

There is no need to ask why Apple doesn't have such a large problem with piracy.

I legally own an XP Pro (And home), and would like to save money by buying an upgrade but as I re-install my system at least a couple of times a year I would not be happy to have to install XP Pro then boot up, insert the longhorn disk and install that over the top.

Why can't the "upgrade" disk ask you to enter your Windows XP serial number? But act like a normal disk in all other ways?

• User profile image
    Cairo

The same as Apple's pricing for 10.4 would be reasonable.

$129 for single, $199 for 5-pack.

• User profile image
    Rossj

I'd like to see pricing on a per-country basis, maybe as a percentage of the average wage for home users or something. I do not think that people being asked to pay more than a month's salary is acceptable.

• User profile image
    Michael Griffiths

Rossj wrote:
    I'd like to see pricing on a per-country basis, maybe as a percentage of the average wage for home users or something. I do not think that people being asked to pay more than a month's salary is acceptable.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

• User profile image
    msemack

Manip wrote:

Why can't the "upgrade" disk ask you to enter your Windows XP serial number? But act like a normal disk in all other ways?

Last time I used an upgrade disc, I was able to install from scratch.  It just asked me to insert the old Windows disk to verify it.  After that, installation proceeded normally.

I'm not sure if they still do this for newer Windows versions, but I would assume so.

• User profile image
    harumscarum

Rossj wrote:

I wouldn't. If someone can not afford it then use something that you can afford maybe Linux. MS will then be forced to lower prices because of the market. MS should set prices based on the market and what persons are willling to spend.

• User profile image
    footballism

Rossj wrote:

the problem with MS pricing strategy is that they don't take the economic difference betweeen different countries into consideration.I bet pirate longhorn coy will be constantly there in China,bcos a large percentage of chinese citizens cannot afford the MS price tag.
       even MS lowers their price for longhorn in China,there is still a lot of pirate softwares over there,bcos we really can use cracked version of it with no cost...

• User profile image
    harumscarum

I believe your last statement covers the majority. Why buy when pirating is so easy? Longhorn could be $5 and persons would still pirate.

• User profile image
    Rossj

harumscarum wrote:
    Longhorn could be $5 and persons would still pirate.

And some who might have pirated a $150 dollar app will pay the $5. If this were not true then some of the most pirated software on the mac would be the shareware, instead of the big expensive applications.

• User profile image
    Manip

harumscarum wrote:
    I believe your last statement covers the majority. Why buy when pirating is so easy? Longhorn could be $5 and persons would still pirate.

No they wouldn't.

If you take a course in economics you will learn that
    there is a real price related reason for piracy, you
    can even calculate what price you can set before the
    level of piracy gets too high and you loose money.
    There is an optimal price level which is the
    perfect balance (enough that people are willing to
    pay instead of pirate).

Things like product activation allow you to push the
    price up because the "cost" of piracy increases (cost == trouble).

Simply, if it was $5 nobody would pirate it, not even
    in China because price < trouble (of piracy).

• User profile image
    Larry​Osterman

Manip wrote:

I'm going to answer the question anyway.

Apple doesn't have a large problem with piracy because:
      1) OSX doesn't work unless you've already paid Apple for the hardware.  So there's no huge economic benefit for piracy.
      2) With a 2-3% market share, it's not worth the professional pirates time

And, having said that, I bet if you check the P2P networks you'll find ISOs of Tiger out there already.

I know several people who have already installed pirate versions on their machines.

• User profile image
    harumscarum

I guess what I am trying to say is that piracy eventually becomes a lifestyle and when persons no longer care if it is the name brand or a copy pricing will never matter. I am not from China so I can not say if this is reality but I will assume for sake of argument.

When a person no longer distinguishes what is pirated and what is legitimate then pricing will never matter.

• User profile image
    sbc

I wonder how many users of WinZip have paid for it? It is not that expensive, but there are free alternatives that are arguably better (which is why I do not use WinZip, and also don't use Shareware at all). As it still works after 30 days (or whatever the trial period is) people still use it. It is even deployed on networks (perhaps not though login, but ghosted onto new PC's).

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.