Coffeehouse Thread

11 posts

Longhorn and Media Center

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    MisterDonut

Anyone know how Longhorn will impact the Media Center PCs? As in, when Longhorn is released, will it work on my Media Center PC without things breaking?

• User profile image
    Manip

Well I would hope Longhorn is a media centre client by default anyway...

• User profile image
    figuerres

MisterDonut wrote:
    Anyone know how Longhorn will impact the Media Center PCs? As in, when Longhorn is released, will it work on my Media Center PC without things breaking?

well the question is what special stuff is in your mc pc??

Longhorn will need new drivers for many things, if your mc has any hardware lh does not have a driver for then...

and some of the mc apps are in .Net 1.xx I would think that part would be ok.

question is:  what do you get by loading lh on that pc?  is that pc fast enought? have the right display card etc... to make it a good upgrade??

you might wait a bit and see if they have a media center / longhorn edition / upgrade that updates the mc apps from .net 1.x and gdi+ / dx9
    to avalon / dx10 / .net 2.0

that would get the mc functions to take advantage of the new gfx and stuff...

• User profile image
    MisterDonut

I was more concerned over being able to record / play movies / burn, etc.

I use my MCPC for full-fledged development as well. It's a 3.2 Ghz, 1 Gb Ram, 256 Mb Video Card, Tv Tunder, etc.

Hope they have something cool planned.

• User profile image
    IanD

I am sure that the TV function will still be there.
    The avalon system should work very well for Media Center UI
    I expect the UI to be done with that, plus Media Player should be able to handle bigger ibraries too

And don't forget if your in to Media Center checkout my Media Center Podcast Wink

Ian
    The Windows Media Center Show
    My Media Center Blog

• User profile image
    Larry​Osterman

MisterDonut wrote:

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the media center sku of Longhorn will probably upgrade your media center sku just fine (assuming your hardware is supported by longhorn).

The longhorn pro sku will probably not upgrade a media center sku.

But then, I'm not on either the setup, media center or product planning team, so this is just rampant speculation.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

LarryOsterman wrote:
    The longhorn pro sku will probably not upgrade a media center sku.

Good... because the last thing I want to see on my computer is a big, fat, patronising "My pictures" link.

• User profile image
    byron

I think i have a basic idea overall, it will fit around media center,in or out, without things breaking up due to the driver support functions for these systems, technically speaking i have tried blending systems on a few windows platforms, they work for me, as i worked with media center, at the moment on 64 bit environment, transitioning to Longhorn and Avalon,both media center and longhorn will go well together and with other favourite windows aswell, a few configs and updates and things might be fine.
    A rich-media based platform.....mmmmm,maybe nice!
    and finally get that SQL Up to maximum, processor power, turns heads on longhorn.

• User profile image
    byron

This is the same good stuff im working with here in London, on serious plasma screens, would love to talk to you IanD sometime,here!

Touchscreen plasma
    media centers, things are now looking like star-trek indeed, Live on the go work
    at the office and work and public and private.

• User profile image
    byron

Im Digitally Insane about this stuff........

• User profile image
    IanD

Just sent you an email Byron.
    I am always on the lookout for guest for the show Smiley

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.