Coffeehouse Thread

20 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Anyone else going to the Tiger premier tomorrow?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jkwuc89

I am heading to my local Apple store tomorrow at 6 PM to check it out.  My wife's PC is a 20" G5 iMac and I want to see if the Tiger upgrade is worthwhile for her.  Also, I want to check out how Apple does one of these premier events.

• User profile image
    MisterDonut

No, I was a bit freaked out at the Jaguar premier a while back..

I now know why they call is the "Cult of the Mac". Scary stuff, people..

• User profile image
    Manip

As there isn't a single Apple store on the south coast of the UK the answer has to be a big NO.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Manip wrote:
    As there isn't a single Apple store on the south coast of the UK the answer has to be a big NO.

London isn't too far away, is it?

• User profile image
    Manip

Yes. 1hour 40min's to travel to the nearest station then maybe an hour across London ...

• User profile image
    Manip

I would travel 3hours for SOME things... But to check out a product presentation which I don't even intend on purchasing is just silly.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Lazycoder2 wrote:
    It's been sooooo looonnnggg since the last big MS launch.

Do service-packs and hotfixes count?

Oh wait... Microsoft wouldn't celebrate those Wink They're ashamed they have to release theme 7 times a month Tongue Out

• User profile image
    MasterPi

Beer28 wrote:
    jkwuc89 wrote: I am heading to my local Apple store tomorrow at 6 PM to check it out.  My wife's PC is a 20" G5 iMac and I want to see if the Tiger upgrade is worthwhile for her.  Also, I want to check out how Apple does one of these premier events.

Don't forget to pick up that "for dummies" book while you're there

Hehe.

In fact, I came across this a while ago. Smiley

Just out of curiosity beer, if you could only choose between windows and mac (programming own OS would be barred), what OS would you choose?

mVPstar

• User profile image
    Cider

jkwuc89 wrote:
    Also, I want to check out how Apple does one of these premier events.

They're horrible, horrible things.  Really.  I went to the launch of OS X and it was terrible.  You'll learn nothing from it either apart from the ridiculous over-controlled demos.  And remember, marketing people know dick-all technically so don't bother with any questions.  Not that you have to worry about those at an Apple launch - all the questions will be along the lines of "your campaign has the momentum of a runaway train, why are you so popular?"  Smiley

No product launch yet has been quite as good as the Windows 2000 launch.

Patrick Stewart introduced the show and said how much he loved the products and all that and then passed over to Bill Gates.  Bill Gates did his normal boring speech and then at one point, he says "Windows 2000 will be really great in the Enterprise".  At which point, Patrick Stewart bounds on-stage and says "did someone mention enterprise".  Crowd laughed.  I cringed to the point I gnawed my own hand off!

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Cider wrote:
    No product launch yet has been quite as good as the Windows 2000 launch

I'd say the 1984 Macintosh launch was the most spectactular.

Relativly speaking, of course. I couldn't see IBM (the Microsoft at the time) doing anything like that.

And who can forget those all-important lines:

"Never trust a computer you can't lift"

Waitaminnit... I can't lift my computer, d'oh!

• User profile image
    lars

Cider wrote:

No product launch yet has been quite as good as the Windows 2000 launch.

I remember watching that webcast live. I wish someone had saved a copy.

• User profile image
    irascian

MisterDonut wrote:
    No, I was a bit freaked out at the Jaguar premier a while back..

I now know why they call is the "Cult of the Mac". Scary stuff, people..

I went to the Regent Street Mac store to buy my Mac Mini. I don't know what was scarier - the hordes of "customers" in the store playing with the stuff, or the people who were supposedly there to assist who didn't seem to have a clue other than they just wanted me to buy stuff, whether it would work together or not.

I may well buy another Mac one day, but if I do so I'll be buying mail order.

• User profile image
    Tyler Brown

Cider wrote:
    "your campaign has the momentum of a runaway train, why are you so popular?"

Off-topic, but where is this from? I laughed hysterically when I read it, and I've heard it before and I recall having the same reaction. Is it from the Simpsons?

• User profile image
    CodeRyder

i just read the newspaper this morning, there was a big ad about the tiger launch @ 6:00 pm in my local apple store (colombo, srilanka), i guess apple is launching the product @ the same time world wide, 

kool ah    

• User profile image
    LazyCoder

Beer28 wrote:
    Don't forget to pick up that "for dummies" book while you're there

I plan on asking them for iCon: The biography of Steve Jobs. Wink

• User profile image
    eddwo

I've been reading the Tiger Review at ArsTechnica. It goes into a great amount of detail on how the file system metadata, searching, and the updated display model actually work.

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/os/macosx-10.4.ars/14

Someone from Microsoft really should do a comparitive review with the Longhorn architechture. A lot of the parts do seem very similar to my understanding of Longhorn, but it would be nice to see a straight comparison with differences highlighted and perhaps explainations for different design decisions.

I guess thats a lot to hope for, but it would be good to have hard information from an authoritative source.

• User profile image
    Cider

Tyler Brown wrote:
    Cider wrote: "your campaign has the momentum of a runaway train, why are you so popular?"

Off-topic, but where is this from? I laughed hysterically when I read it, and I've heard it before and I recall having the same reaction. Is it from the Simpsons?

But of course!  Its from one of the classic early episodes with the 3 eyed fish and where Mr Burns runs for Government.

• User profile image
    Lazycoder2

Manip wrote:
    Yes. 1hour 40min's to travel to the nearest station then maybe an hour across London ...

Oh TELL ME you didn't just compain about a 3 hour trip. (never mind, I re-checked my facts. commas inside of numbers are important) LOL.

Although I don't know if I'd drive across the bridge to Redmond for a Microsoft launch so I can understand your pain. Smiley

On-topic. I may head over to the local Apple store tomorrow after work to take a peek at the freakshow. I've already pre-ordered Tiger through Amazon, but I'd like to see what an OS launch is like. It's been sooooo looonnnggg since the last big MS launch. If I do, I'll post pictures at my site.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.