Coffeehouse Thread

9 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

The Coming of the Smart Client

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Charles

Check out this entertaining must-read.  If you like the article, you can catch the author presenting smart clients at a https://www.besreg.com/isvdays/regrsvp.asp?eventID=214&rsvp=ISVCHBL" href="https://www.besreg.com/isvdays/regrsvp.asp?eventID=214&rsvp=LTBTFN"> traveling road show for ISV developers.

The Coming of the Smart Client

What, no more thin client? Relax, this isn't the fat client of old. This is an approach to client development that can give you the advantages of both, and the shortcomings of neither, along with some bonus benefits...  read more

C

• User profile image
    Cairo

"Smart Clients" are interesting. It sounds like bringing "sync" capabilities into your regular desktop application, alongside a "connected" mode.

Apple's iSync framework, combined with Core Data, may make this a rather straightforward thing to accomplish.

A great example of this behavior is the ClickOnce feature coming in this year's release of the .NET 2.0 Framework. With ClickOnce, the user simply follows a link to a Web or file server. Automatically, the application is downloaded and executed. What's more, the application is executed in a sandbox provided by .NET's Code Access Security, so the user is protected against malicious behavior.

"Java Web Start"

• User profile image
    Rossj

Cairo wrote:

A great example of this behavior is the ClickOnce feature coming in this year's release of the .NET 2.0 Framework. With ClickOnce, the user simply follows a link to a Web or file server. Automatically, the application is downloaded and executed. What's more, the application is executed in a sandbox provided by .NET's Code Access Security, so the user is protected against malicious behavior.

"Java Web Start"

No-one said it was original - but I bet it will be better implemented Smiley

• User profile image
    sbc

I hope someone does an extension to bring ClickOnce to other browsers (i.e. Firefox, Opera). If there is demand for it, it could happen. It would mean having .NET support.

• User profile image
    Charles

Any Niners gonna attend this?

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

I won't make it to the Orlando show, but I'd sure love to get a demo for our INETA group. 

We've had a bunch of really, really cool demos for .Net 2.0 and you can't beat the free pizza Smiley

Every time I hear how cool *nix is, I remember that MSFT goes out of it's way to show developers whats coming and how it all works. 

• User profile image
    Charles

Demos are on the way. The Smart Client People Will be seen on Channel 9... E

• User profile image
    harumscarum

Charles wrote:

Probably not. Cleveland is too long of a drive. Looking foward to the videos though.

• User profile image
    Tensor

Charles wrote:

Would love to. Bet if they DID come to the UK it would be reading only though. Sad

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.