Coffeehouse Thread

12 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Windows Boot Screen Post SP2

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    RamblingGeek​UK

Can any one tell me why after SP2 has been installed on any edition of XP that the boot image changes to a standard XP, were as it used to state it's version Pro, Home, Tablet, etc....

• User profile image
    footballism

I was also confused by this...

• User profile image
    Steve411

I don't know. But it started in pre-beta and i sent a complaint while testing. No luck.

• User profile image
    Manip

Because it is too difficult to release an update on a standard component but have to insert a custom boot image for all versions (and would also increase the size).

You would either have to add that component to the setup 4/5/6 times or re-write the setup to somehow generate the component on the fly, which is dangerous by any standard.

You could blame this in the lack of for-thought on Microsoft's behalf (Windows 9x just had a JPG in a folder... ).

• User profile image
    Tom Servo

I thought the boot logos were just resources in NTOSKRNL.EXE.

• User profile image
    Steve411

Tom Servo wrote:
    I thought the boot logos were just resources in NTOSKRNL.EXE.

With some pixel maping and color charts. When you open it its all black.

• User profile image
    RamblingGeek​UK

Thanks for all of the replys!!!

Is it really that hard? Where is the image embedded?

• User profile image
    Steve411

Kryptos wrote:
    Thanks for all of the replys!!!

Is it really that hard? Where is the image embedded?

Be carefull don't mess up Wink
    use resource hacker

• User profile image
    AndyC

It's not that it's hard, it's that it is unnecessary. It's a waste of time identifying the OS version, extracting the correct bitmap and then displaying it, especially when most new machines only display it for a fraction of a second. Having just one standard display makes the system boot faster. Isn't that better than having the word Professional on it?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

AndyC wrote:
    Isn't that better than having the word Professional on it?

It's not the same thing... when I see the words "Professional" in the bootup screen, I give myself a nice smug expression: "So much better than the condescending 'Home Edition'"

• User profile image
    Maurits

AndyC wrote:
    It's not that it's hard, it's that it is unnecessary. It's a waste of time identifying the OS version, extracting the correct bitmap and then displaying it, especially when most new machines only display it for a fraction of a second. Having just one standard display makes the system boot faster. Isn't that better than having the word Professional on it?

I agree it's silly to extract the correct bitmap at boot time.
    You get the correct bitmap at OS install time.
    You should keep the correct bitmap at update time.

• User profile image
    tsilb

Best fix I can advise: /NOGUIBOOT

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.