Coffeehouse Thread

12 posts

Windows Boot Screen Post SP2

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    RamblingGeek​UK

Can any one tell me why after SP2 has been installed on any edition of XP that the boot image changes to a standard XP, were as it used to state it's version Pro, Home, Tablet, etc....

• User profile image
    footballism

I was also confused by this...

• User profile image
    Steve411

I don't know. But it started in pre-beta and i sent a complaint while testing. No luck.

• User profile image
    Manip

Because it is too difficult to release an update on a standard component but have to insert a custom boot image for all versions (and would also increase the size).

You would either have to add that component to the setup 4/5/6 times or re-write the setup to somehow generate the component on the fly, which is dangerous by any standard.

You could blame this in the lack of for-thought on Microsoft's behalf (Windows 9x just had a JPG in a folder... ).

• User profile image
    Tom Servo

I thought the boot logos were just resources in NTOSKRNL.EXE.

• User profile image
    Steve411

Tom Servo wrote:
    I thought the boot logos were just resources in NTOSKRNL.EXE.

With some pixel maping and color charts. When you open it its all black.

• User profile image
    RamblingGeek​UK

Thanks for all of the replys!!!

Is it really that hard? Where is the image embedded?

• User profile image
    Steve411

Kryptos wrote:
    Thanks for all of the replys!!!

Is it really that hard? Where is the image embedded?

Be carefull don't mess up Wink
    use resource hacker

• User profile image
    AndyC

It's not that it's hard, it's that it is unnecessary. It's a waste of time identifying the OS version, extracting the correct bitmap and then displaying it, especially when most new machines only display it for a fraction of a second. Having just one standard display makes the system boot faster. Isn't that better than having the word Professional on it?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

AndyC wrote:
    Isn't that better than having the word Professional on it?

It's not the same thing... when I see the words "Professional" in the bootup screen, I give myself a nice smug expression: "So much better than the condescending 'Home Edition'"

• User profile image
    Maurits

AndyC wrote:
    It's not that it's hard, it's that it is unnecessary. It's a waste of time identifying the OS version, extracting the correct bitmap and then displaying it, especially when most new machines only display it for a fraction of a second. Having just one standard display makes the system boot faster. Isn't that better than having the word Professional on it?

I agree it's silly to extract the correct bitmap at boot time.
    You get the correct bitmap at OS install time.
    You should keep the correct bitmap at update time.

• User profile image
    tsilb

Best fix I can advise: /NOGUIBOOT

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.