Coffeehouse Thread

11 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Microsoft in 2010.........?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    adnanrafik

It's just an idea but believe that ideas turn into the reality. It's been a long time and I'm back to channel and have just started to write wahtever is in my mind right now.

I've started using the computer in 1997 and seen many chnage till today but still I'm very new to this Tech market. There are many people who in the I.T. industry since 1980 or before. As the time is passing on the technology is changing very fast. Even the idea was there but now today we experience that sometimes we have the idea in our mind and after few months that idea becomes practicle.

I must say that Microsoft is playing its role , a very big role in I.T. Industry. Thousands of people are employed by Microsoft and as much as it is expending Microsoft is improving.

This is really an art.

what I've read in the books 'The Road Ahead' and 'Business @ the speed of thought' I can see, I can feel and I'm used of it today. Mr. Gates have aleady thought it almost 10 yrs back and now we are taking it technology as part of our life.

Now we have PCs with Win XP or Win 98 in each and every office and home. wherever there is a PC there is on XP or Win98.

So what Mr. Gates is thinking now?

What would be the future? How do they see the world the in 2010? what do we assume about 2010?

Why not 2015? Because what we have achieved in 10 years now we can achieve more than this in just 5 yrs. As I told technology is shifting very very fast.

As we are working on Microsoft's product we are a part of Microsoft. There is a very strong interaction between Microsoft and a normal PC user but the interaction is is hidden and is not direct.

It's a very long debate.

What my point is that

------------- Microsoft 1981-2005---------- is today

what about

------------- Microsoft 1981-2010---------- ?

We can get the most from guys who are in the Microsoft and very close to Master Minds.

Smiley

• User profile image
    Steve411

We are going to have flying cars suspended 100 feet in the air like in star wars. We are going to have one mighty Jedi master, me. At the end it will all fail and we'll start back again from DOS. Apple will be eaten by a dinasour that we will clone. The dinasour will kill us all and reproduce faster than you thought possible. After we are all gone... evolution starts again. Except this time they are the ones using a computer and coding 24/7. Panther and Jaguar from apple will dissapoint us by not being able to beat up the dinasour [some kinda new OS?]. Microsoft will start again, and we'll all keep wondering the same things.

Those are some of the things that go around in my mind.

• User profile image
    KosherCoder

This will repeat until the 7th iteration, when the world's systems will be refreshed by the one with a brand new OS never before conceived.

• User profile image
    Steve411

KosherCoder wrote:
    This will repeat until the 7th iteration, when the world's systems will be refreshed by the one with a brand new OS never before conceived.

Codenamed:
     Greendows;
       We like running in your vallies.

• User profile image
    adnanrafik

What do you think if get the answer from Microsoft.

I've already seen the car were flying the movie '5th element' starring Bruce Willis.

Minority Report is another example in which Tom Cruse is flying. And biggest ever James Bond series.............

• User profile image
    Steve411

adnanrafik wrote:

What do you think if get the answer from Microsoft.

I've already seen the car were flying the movie '5th element' starring Bruce Willis.

Minority Report is another example in which Tom Cruse is flying. And biggest ever James Bond series.............

Microsofts response would be :
     "Thats a year near the time when we unravel Longhorn".

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Y'know... I can't really picture Microsoft lasting another 5 years if the DoJ gets MS over Longhorn or something.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

Assuming pigs don't fly out of my butt on a cold day in hades, I'll believe that, but anyway:

Back in the day, I had to take psychology to fulfil a requirement and graduate.  There have been experiments where fully blind subjects have had a grid of stimulating electrodes placed across their optic nerves.  This allowed them to see an 8 by 8 grid of dots.  It took quite some time to calibrate it since the subjects had no point of reference, but eventually, they were able to 'see' using a 64 pixel grid.

There is absolutely no reason why induction could not be used to do this for all of our nerve based stimulus without surgery.  Rather than wear some ugly head mounted 'virtual goggles', we could, soon, be able to overlay information on top of what we see.  We know quite a bit about how sound affects our ears, and again, using induction, we could be 'surfing the web' without having a monitor.

Even better, would be smell and taste.  Both are made by a bunch of different types of receptors that stimulate nerves based on the receptors recognizing certain chemicals.  We could, soon, be smelling an tasting...again all using induction, without surgery.

Of course, the ultimate would be touch.  Once we can stimulate our nervous system to the point that we can experience physical touch, an entire generation will collapse.  To paraphrase Dennis Miller:  "The day that you can 'do' a virtual Claudia Shiffer with a beer in one hand and the rewind button in the other, Society will surely collapse.

But, funny or not, I think that we'll be able to simulate much more than the visual and sound that we can do at this point.  It sure will make goatse a much worse experience than it already is.

Don't even get me started on nano...

• User profile image
    Andrei P

There are two topics on this (http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=63533)?

I'd say MS is going to be knee deep in a strugle to keep it's desktop share in the year of 2010...

Well Linux may or may not have an increase over desktops, but one thing is certain:

http://www.fool.com/News/mft/2005/mft05042930.htm

Microsoft: The Cash Machine
    Net income almost doubled because legal charges (get this!) fell from $2.53 billion in last year's third quarter to $768 million this third quarter. To put that into perspective, this quarter's sales were $9.6 billion and legal charges were still at 8% of revenue (but down from 27.6% last year). It is expensive to fight in court!

So the future seems bright Wink.

• User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

Beer28 wrote:
    http://board.iexbeta.com/lofiversion/index.php/t50111.html

Going by this projection from ATI which I deem as extremely conservative which projects linux being at 10% of desktops by 2010,
    http://img26.exs.cx/img26/4250/atilinux22wg.jpg

I'd say MS is going to be knee deep in a strugle to keep it's desktop share in the year of 2010 (in the year two thousiiiiiind....... in the year two thousaaaaaaaaandddd...)

It doesn't project Linux being on 10% of desktops by 2010. It projects linux being sold on 10% of new desktops by 2010 while being on 3.5% of desktops. Personally, I think those numbers are overly optimistic. Why? Windows is targeted at people who NEED ease of use. Linux is targeted at people who DON'T NEED ease of use. While many Linux fans don't realize it there is a difference between getting something done and getting something done easily. Whenever I read instructions for something on Linux they tell you to go to a command prompt and type in commands or swap out source code and type in commands. To compete with Windows in the desktop market, that just won't cut it.

If there is a Linux distribution that requires no knowledge of what source code and a command prompt are while being as easy to use as Windows, I'd like to know about it. Until then, I doubt Linux will catch on. Especially since such a distribution will also need development software that will attract developers for the same reason(s) Visual Studio attracts developers.

• User profile image
    adnanrafik

Of course, the ultimate would be touch.  Once we can stimulate our nervous system to the point that we can experience physical touch, an entire generation will collapse.  To paraphrase Dennis Miller:  "The day that you can 'do' a virtual Claudia Shiffer with a beer in one hand and the rewind button in the other, Society will surely collapse.

hahahahaha Smiley sure it will. Totally agree with you.

2010....everything will be interactive.

I think

our handheld devices, the OS (Win XP....LongHorn...etc....), then Wi-Fi technology etc... everythign will be connected from your watch to car. Everything will be SYNC.

But what if anything fails?

The we might need backups...Failovers....etc..
    This is never ending story. Technology will continue to evolve and it will be making our life more touhg rather than better.

The more updated OS we have today the more we have to keep ourselves updated. So where is the technology?

We human being can't compete the technology but we will be managing the Technology.

We can's compete the Robot but we can take control of Robot.

ROBOT...............nice idea. Mr. Gates and his Master minds mind thinking of ROBOTS as Programmer which can perform routine jobs.

someone one replied that ....If you want to see future you can find it at GATES' House.
    Yes it is true, and one would wish to visit him.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.