Coffeehouse Thread

11 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

A bit Disappointed: Can you help?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    MisterDonut

    I love my Media Center PC. I have successfully set up a wireless network and workgroup and have other computers in the house streaming audio and video. My tablet can also "sync" with the Media Transfer tool. Cool stuff! But I want a few more things.

    I'm looking for a portable music center (Think, Boom-box, not iPod / iRiver) that I can carry from one room to another that can pick up my 802.11b/g signal and I can listen to music there while working outside, etc. Linksys has something like it, but I'm disappointed at it. Apparently it only works with MusicMatch. I'd like it to work with Windows Media Player. I might be asking too much, but I'd love it to also pick up local radio stations as well. (I don't think the Local NPR station has an internet feed).

    Any suggestions?

  • User profile image
    geekling

    If you just want to "listen" then you can grab an FM Transmitter for like $19 dollars, plug it into your PC, and it'll broadcast all the audio on an FM channel. (check Amazon)

    Then you can just tote around a normal little handheld radio.

    If you really want to control and listen to your music from afar... *shrug*

    That would be a nice feasture for the next Windows PDA. Wink

  • User profile image
    MisterDonut

    Now, that's a thought. My Pocket PC has an audio-out jack. And it's Wi-fi. Maybe I should code something myself (as if I had the time..)? I don't know if I can access the Media Center's Radio feature or not. Should be interesting..

  • User profile image
    Larry​Osterman

    MisterDonut wrote:

    I'm looking for a portable music center (Think, Boom-box, not iPod / iRiver) that I can carry from one room to another that can pick up my 802.11b/g signal and I can listen to music there while working outside, etc. Linksys has something like it, but I'm disappointed at it. Apparently it only works with MusicMatch. I'd like it to work with Windows Media Player. I might be asking too much, but I'd love it to also pick up local radio stations as well. (I don't think the Local NPR station has an internet feed).

    Any suggestions?



    Look at the Roku Soundbridge, or the DLink <something or other>

    And then download Windows Media Connect from Windows Update.

  • User profile image
    MisterDonut

    LarryOsterman wrote:
    MisterDonut wrote:

    I'm looking for a portable music center (Think, Boom-box, not iPod / iRiver) that I can carry from one room to another that can pick up my 802.11b/g signal and I can listen to music there while working outside, etc. Linksys has something like it, but I'm disappointed at it. Apparently it only works with MusicMatch. I'd like it to work with Windows Media Player. I might be asking too much, but I'd love it to also pick up local radio stations as well. (I don't think the Local NPR station has an internet feed).

    Any suggestions?



    Look at the Roku Soundbridge, or the DLink <something or other>

    And then download Windows Media Connect from Windows Update.


    They look interesting, Roku Soundbridge looks awesome, but they aren't what I"m looking for. (A portable music player (Boom box-style) that will interact with WMP, and preferably have FM recieving as well.

    Guess no one has thought of it, or made it yet.

  • User profile image
    ScanIAm

    I, too, am looking for something similar.  I found this link a few months ago, and at some point, I'm going to try it out:

    http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=312927&pfp=BROWSE

    The link is to CompUSA, but the product is from LinkSys.

  • User profile image
    andokai

    Not sure when it's being released but what you're after is the Sony NAS-CZ1.


    http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000073040477/

  • User profile image
    MisterDonut

    ScanIAm wrote:
    I, too, am looking for something similar.  I found this link a few months ago, and at some point, I'm going to try it out:

    http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=312927&pfp=BROWSE

    The link is to CompUSA, but the product is from LinkSys.


    This was the item I originally looked at. Check out the reviews: they're relatively mediocre, and it doesn't work with WMP. I'm not a MusicMatch fan..

  • User profile image
    MisterDonut

    andokai wrote:
    Not sure when it's being released but what you're after is the Sony NAS-CZ1.


    http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000073040477/


    That looks a lot like what I'm looking for. But, no US release date... Sad

  • User profile image
    NeoTOM

    Also, Tablet PC + Experience pack. >shrug<

  • User profile image
    MisterDonut

    Already have one.. Smiley

    But, I 'd say it isn't the same as having an item specfically designed for what I'm looking for. I'd rather pay $250.00 for a portable boom-box than $1500 for a tablet (or close to it, anyway).

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.