Coffeehouse Thread

23 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Longhorn's Explorer

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

Question:

Is the new "Windows Explorer" in Longhorn just another IE shell like it has been since Windows 95-IE4?

Or is it a proper file/directory mangement tool akin to "Finder" without any built-in web-browser (that slows the thing down and introduces security issues)?

And does it re-introduce split-views and still have the tree view sidebar?

• User profile image
    Tyler Brown

I'd like to see some real innovation when it comes to Windows Explorer. The way it's been for so long has got to change, starting with what W3bbo mentioned above. Once that's done, make it look all nice Wink

• User profile image
    wkempf

What did he mention?  Removal of web view?  Not sure why.  No "bloat" is exposed by web view, since all of that code is in the browser ActiveX control that's there no matter what.  If you don't like it, you don't use it.  Big deal.  But, I'll give ya that one just to be nice.

Remove the tree sidebar?  Huh?  What ever for.  You've already got that ability today, but does ANYONE actually navigate with out it?  No thank you.  Remove that and you'll have a lot of very upset users.

• User profile image
    BruceMorgan

W3bbo wrote:
    Is the new "Windows Explorer" in Longhorn just another IE shell like it has been since Windows 95-IE4?

It's not really accurate to describe Windows Explorer as an "IE shell". In Windows 95-IE4, IE and Windows Explorer are essentially the same "shell" (as in, same docobject host code).  This host can show either Explorer views or IE views or various other views like Control Panel views, or evens embedded docobjects like Word.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

BruceMorgan wrote:
    It's not really accurate to describe Windows Explorer as an "IE shell". In Windows 95-IE4, IE and Windows Explorer are essentially the same "shell" (as in, same docobject host code).  This host can show either Explorer views or IE views or various other views like Control Panel views, or evens embedded docobjects like Word.

That's what I meant really... its all just a host for Trident.

• User profile image
    Spitfire15

W3bbo wrote:
    Question:

Or is it a proper file/directory mangement tool akin to "Finder" without any built-in web-browser (that slows the thing down and introduces security issues)?

And does it re-introduce split-views and still have the tree view sidebar?

I beg for what you say. I just want a proper Windows Explorer, and not the IE stuffing onto it.

• User profile image
    Maurits

The Mac OS X Finder has a very interesting alternative to the tree navigation model.  It divides the screen into vertical bands, each being one "folder" removed from the current location:

The image “<a href=http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Carbon/Conceptual/ProvidingHelpTags/art/tag_in_finder.gif” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors." src="http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Carbon/Conceptual/ProvidingHelpTags/art/tag_in_finder.gif">
    It does support the tree view as well, of course.

• User profile image
    Michael Griffiths

I'd like to see some new ways of visualizing information embedded into Explorer.

Actually, I expect some major (and cool) things, because Avalon should support it. Far, far more easily than in previous Windows releases.

Maurits wrote:
    The Mac OS X Finder has a very interesting alternative to the tree navigation model.  It divides the screen into vertical bands, each being one "folder" removed from the current location:

The image “<a href=http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Carbon/Conceptual/ProvidingHelpTags/art/tag_in_finder.gif” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors." src="http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Carbon/Conceptual/ProvidingHelpTags/art/tag_in_finder.gif">
    It does support the tree view as well, of course.

I don't like that Wink

• User profile image
    tobias

Sorry, but the Finder tree navigation model is not that great...
    What happens if I have more than two subfolders? The columns will get smaller and smaller and you won't be able to read anything anymore.
    Last but not least, I really like the "Details" view in Explorer where I see the filesize and the creation date. Can I do this in Finder without going into an addtional window?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

That view in Finder is actually stolen from the NeXTStep OS, of course... it's all Steve Job's IP anyway... no big deal.

Although Apple may have patented it though.

• User profile image
    Maurits

tobias wrote:

What happens if I have more than two subfolders?

You get a horizontal scrollbar on the whole thing - if you want to look more than two or three levels back "up" the tree you scroll to the left (as opposed to in a traditional tree view where you have to scroll up - possibly way, way up)
    tobias wrote:

I really like the "Details" view in Explorer where I see the filesize and the creation date. Can I do this in Finder without going into an addtional window?

Yup - Finder's "LIST" view (the middle button in the three-view widget) has file size etc.

• User profile image
    Cairo

W3bbo wrote:
    That view in Finder is actually stolen from the NeXTStep OS, of course... it's all Steve Job's IP anyway... no big deal.

Although Apple may have patented it though.

Not stolen -- NeXT bought Apple1 a few years ago...

1 The news reported it the other way around

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Question about built-in FTP

The FTP client built-in to Explorer is semi-unresponsive and hides the complexities. For instance, whenever you change the directory, it automatically calls a contents lisitng.

Secondly, when you close the explorer instance, the connection remains open untill you log-off windows or kill the explorer.exe process. I have to use TCPView to close the connection.

You'll notice that "Properties" and the Status bar act differently when using FTP as well, if you group select a load of files it doesn't show how many are selected nor their total size, neither does the "Properties" screen.

Windows needs a "proper" FTP client that is responsive, not buggy, and works consistently to normal local folders.

• User profile image
    Rossj

Michael Griffiths wrote:

I don't like that

See the section called view? You can change it if you like and make use of spring loaded folders instead.  I much prefer just dragging a collection of files over a folder, wait one second, hold over next folder wait one second, drop files - to the absolute mess that is Explorer when trying to move files deep into a tree, you tend to spend most of your time expanding out the tree so that you can drop them in the right place. How 1980's is that? Wink

• User profile image
    LCARS

Will you still be able to change the default shell in longhorn? Right now you can just pop open regedit and change the shell="explorer.exe" key.

• User profile image
    Maurits

W3bbo wrote:
    Windows needs a "proper" FTP client that is responsive, not buggy, and works consistently to normal local folders.

ftp.exe actually is pretty good for a command-line FTP client.  And you can feed it a script of FTP commands.  ftp -? for more (not ftp /?, oddly that doesn't work.)

• User profile image
    DCMonkey

Guard your eyes W3bbo! Not only will the Longhorn Explorer host folders and web pages, it will also host Avalon Express apps!

And yes the folders (aka tree view) sidebar is still there from what I've seen.

• User profile image
    Steve411

DCMonkey wrote:

Guard your eyes W3bbo! Not only will the Longhorn Explorer host folders and web pages, it will also host Avalon Express apps!

And yes the folders (aka tree view) sidebar is still there from what I've seen.

Well that's great news, isn't it?.. That means it's a multi-platform Explorer!

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.